Surgery Recovery

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Surgery Recovery

Post by PBW »

Just when I was feeling really good ...active, healthy diet, etc. I received word through my Urologists that CT scan showed 0 stones in my kidney(very Happy) BUT radiologist identified inflamed appendix(surprise and shock) . Had it removed 4 hours later and on my third day of recovery). Here are some issues I have been facing:
1-I don't know which supplements on RECODE process through the kidney, and /or are blood thinners. So I stopped all of them.
2- I am now taking 2 antibiotics(flagyl and Levaquin) and along with a probiotic for 10 days. Should I start supplements now or after I finish the meds. I was thinking of starting at least the B's because homosystine needs to come down. I have to wait longer for DHA/EPA because I am told they are definitely a blood thinner.
3-I have no desire to eat anything...to the point that I get nauseous smelling food. Because I need to eat something I broke my nondairy diet, plain yoghurt w/ a dribble of honey 1/3 C at a time is all I can seem to get down. Being 67 yr 4/4 with LDL's high (LDLc179, sdLDL 145) this concerns me.Then last night the only thing that sounded ok was GRILL CHEESE sandwich. So you can see I am struggling a bit here.

I don't remember ever reading entries about what happens when something like surgery interrupts you normal day. Any thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Surgery Recovery

Post by ru442 »

PBW.... The important thing is to get well and not stress over being off your protocol. You can get back on the wagon when you feel well enough, we all fall off for one reason or another.
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hope you're feeling better soon, PBW. it's best to ask your surgeon when it's safe to resume supplements with blood thinning properties so as not to interfere with healing. If you're worried about homocysteine, I agree that there's no harm in restarting your B's. Eat whatever you can tolerate for now. I like mushy riced cauliflower with an egg scrambled in it when I have GI stuff. Protein and rest are important as you heal. -xo
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

PBW wrote:I have no desire to eat anything...to the point that I get nauseous smelling food. Because I need to eat something I broke my nondairy diet, plain yoghurt w/ a dribble of honey 1/3 C at a time is all I can seem to get down. Being 67 yr 4/4 with LDL's high (LDLc179, sdLDL 145) this concerns me.Then last night the only thing that sounded ok was GRILL CHEESE sandwich. So you can see I am struggling a bit here. I don't remember ever reading entries about what happens when something like surgery interrupts you normal day. Any thoughts?
Hi PBW,

I'm also a 4/4, 66, with very high LDL-P. But when I had surgery for a large polyp 3 years ago, I had the motto: My body knows how to heal itself; I just need to be patient and listen to it. (Of course I didn't listen all that well, since I went for a long walk the next day and then spent two days in serious GI pain!) But our brains don't turn to mush after one grilled cheese sandwich, or some yogurt with honey--otherwise how would Stavia be able to keep up her medical practice with all those wonderful pastries she eats in Portugal on vacation! Because our digestive systems shut down for a few days after surgery, you might want to have a bite of toast without the grilled cheese, and some comfort food non-creamy soups: the standby chicken noodle, chicken with rice, or to build on Julie G's suggestion, a soft-boiled or scrambled egg.

I've also had a course of Flagyl, for diverticulitis 8 years ago, and had specific directions from my PCP to have only clear liquids for several days, and then only non-fiber foods. I was a big fan of Arnold's Country White Bread for a few weeks, although I now avoid it like the plague. I am pretty sure that the brief fling with white bread has not ruined my brain.

And for what it's worth: my husband had an emergency appendectomy also; it's not fun to be so tired for a week or two, but you'll feel wonderfully better soon!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

You might consider IV Vitamin C Therapy to expedite and support healing and using over the counter CBD oil to help with pain, anxiety and even appetite. Hope you feel better fast!
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

Thanks , I really needed to hear others just listen to their bodies to get something in their stomachs so they don't feel nausea from lack of food. The things I chose were to eat were the only foods I could tolerate swallowing. Turned the corner today food wise thank goodness. I use CBD oil all the time for a variety of reasons. What is most helpful is knowing that others take breaks not just for surgery and then back on the wagon.