Dr Bredesen's Protocol Questions

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
jreinhal
New User
New User

Dr Bredesen's Protocol Questions

Post by jreinhal »

Hello,
I am brand new to the forum and want to thank everyone for this wonderful goldmine of information! I am 41 years old, male, and E3/E4.
Like many here, I read and enjoyed Dr. Bredesen's book "The End of Alzheimer's". I do, though, have some questions.

1. Is there a company that offers testing that would encompass all of his recommended biomarkers for the ReCODE protocol?
2. Has anyone been successful with his plant based ketogenic diet? Ketogenic is narrow in scope as it is. To add a plant based restriction on it seems extremely difficult, but I am certainly willing to try it.

Thank you in advance.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Dr Bredesen's Protocol Questions

Post by floramaria »

Welcome, Jreinhal,

Since you are brand new, there are a few resources that will help you get the most out of the website. A great place to start is with the
Primer. It is written by a physician member and gives a balanced overview of what we know about optimizing health and minimizing the potential negative effects of our ApoE4 alleles. You'll also find excellent information in the Wiki,which you can access through this link or by clicking the 3 stacked dots to the right of your name/ . There is a section on ketosis there, and also a section on How to Get the Most from the site that has a lot of great tips.

As for your questions, my understanding is that Dr Bredesen's organization is developing (or maybe has developed by now) 3 panels of tests through Life Extension. These packages, if I understand correctly, are not available directly through Life Extension, only by going through MPI Cognition/ANHP. As you will learn as you are on the Forums, this is a lively community, and someone will surely step in and correct me if I am wrong about this!

But you might consider testing general health markers first, such as markers for insulin sensitivity and then moving on to more elaborate testing, as you feel the need. Part of your decision may be based on whether you are having symptoms of cognitive decline.
This testing bit by bit is the approach I have taken myself and works well if you are having to pay out of pocket. You'll find a list of the tests considered most important to begin with in the Primer and most if not all of those will be covered by most insurance plans as part of a routine physical.

As for your second question, A LOT of people are successful with Dr Bredesen's diet. As you are on the site and reading posts you will find that many of us are following a mostly plant-based ketogenic diet. What works for any individual is quite personal. Many on the site are also doing very well eating a more meat and animal product based diet, as you'll discover. Others are following Dr Gundry's recommendations and getting excellent results. There is a lot to dig in; as you said, this site is a goldmine of information!
There is a collection of recipes on the site, which you might enjoy.
To find discussions on specific topics, you can use the magnifying glass, left of your user name. which gives you a search option.

Explore the site and ask questions as they arise. We are happy you have joined us here and look forward to your participation.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
jreinhal
New User
New User

Post by jreinhal »

Thank you so much for the very thorough replay Floramaria. I will continue to explore the forums and certainly the Primer.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

jreinhal wrote:Thank you so much for the very thorough replay Floramaria. I will continue to explore the forums and certainly the Primer.
You are very welcome. Happy exploring! Let us know when you have questions. We are all learning from each other.
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

jreinhal wrote:Hello,

2. Has anyone been successful with his plant based ketogenic diet? Ketogenic is narrow in scope as it is. To add a plant based restriction on it seems extremely difficult, but I am certainly willing to try it.
Wouldn't say it is completely plant based, only not meat focused, meat is modest, but not absent.

We follow a variant as we consult with Dr. Steven Gundry and have posted our labs, transcripts of our consults as well as what we do here.
Tincup
E3,E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

floramaria wrote:...my understanding is that Dr Bredesen's organization is developing (or maybe has developed by now) 3 panels of tests through Life Extension. These packages, if I understand correctly, are not available directly through Life Extension, only by going through MPI Cognition/ANHP.
First I've heard of it. If this is correct, all I have to say, economically speaking, is UGH that people will have to go through a doctor :twisted: Blood boiling (must be hangry since on a high carb BRAT diet!).
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
srbogert
Contributor
Contributor

Post by srbogert »

Welcome, Jreinhal,
You have already received some great answers to your questions from floramaria and tincup. Since you are a new user, I just want to reinforce floramaria's recommendation to check out the Primer. It is a great place to start and provides a compact summary of what most people need to know. I'd also recommend that you check out the HOW TO Page. This will give you instructions for how to use the site's editing, search, and messaging tools.
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach