APOE 3/4 - Gundry Protocol - Elevated LDL-P and APO-B

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
petoeketo
New User
New User

Re: APOE 3/4 - Gundry Protocol - Elevated LDL-P and APO-B

Post by petoeketo »

Sounds like you've done a ton of research already! I think Attia is obviously a heavyweight and his 9 part series on cholesterol got me interested in all this in the first place. I have a ton of respect for what he says and it's interesting to see how the camps have aligned -- how Ivor Cummins / Feldman have very different views than Attia and some of the traditional lipidologists. I think the importance of LDL-P seems to be one of the more debated topics right now among some of the smarter minds.

I was on my mobile earlier so didn't have the link, but the Feldman talk that I liked most was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZu52duIqno 27:33 has a story about Jill that may be relate-able.

Also, there's a 4 day metabolic health summit conference going on close to us at the end of January. It's keto focused, but maybe it's something that would be of interest to you.
https://metabolichealthsummit.com/

I'll be attending. Maybe I'll see you there!
SoCalGuy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SoCalGuy »

petoeketo wrote:Sounds like you've done a ton of research already! I think Attia is obviously a heavyweight and his 9 part series on cholesterol got me interested in all this in the first place. I have a ton of respect for what he says and it's interesting to see how the camps have aligned -- how Ivor Cummins / Feldman have very different views than Attia and some of the traditional lipidologists. I think the importance of LDL-P seems to be one of the more debated topics right now among some of the smarter minds.

I was on my mobile earlier so didn't have the link, but the Feldman talk that I liked most was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZu52duIqno 27:33 has a story about Jill that may be relate-able.

Also, there's a 4 day metabolic health summit conference going on close to us at the end of January. It's keto focused, but maybe it's something that would be of interest to you.
https://metabolichealthsummit.com/

I'll be attending. Maybe I'll see you there!
petoeketo, thanks! I will definitely check out the you tube link. Ivor Cummins is actually how I found out about the CAC scoring. I am on his email list. I will look into the Metabolic Health Summit and see if it makes sense for me to attend. I will let you know if I decide to do so.
srbogert
Contributor
Contributor

Post by srbogert »

petoeketo wrote:Hi socal guy. (I'm in LA actually).
Welcome to the group Petoketo!! Thank you for sharing about your experience. Since you are new to the site, I'd like to share a couple of tips that may help you use the site most effectively. If you haven't already found it, please take a look at the How to get the most out of the APOE4 site page. It will help you make efficient searches, navigate the site, and communicate with others through postings and direct messages. The other resource that we recommend that all users review is the APOE4 Primer. From your posts it sounds like you are quite knowledgeable, but we still recommend a look at the primer as it provides a common starting point for discussions. It was written by Stavia, a site moderator, physician, and ApoE 4/4 carrier.

Again - Welcome, and we look forward to your continued participation.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
SoCalGuy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SoCalGuy »

One more followup as I just got my APO B results back. APO B dropped by 50% and is now in the optimal range. So APO B is fully under control at 66 mg/dl. LDL-P is in the low 1200 range. My doc wanted to bump up Crestor from 5mg to 10mg because my LDL-C is 83 mg/dl and she wants it below 70 mg/dl. I am not inclined to increase the dosage due to APO B being in great shape and LP(a) having always been <10 and indicating there is no risk at all.

For this last round of LDL-P and APO B testing I wanted to get a baseline for use of a statin and also being on a "heart healthy" diet. What that meant was a vegan-esque diet with extremely low saturated fat, moderately high monounsaturated fat and a moderately high carb diet that contained fruit, berries, oats, grains and beans. With that out of the way I am back on the Gundry diet and I can track APO B and LDL-P with a vegan-esque diet that removes all carbs other than those from veggies, avocados and sweet potatoes. I plan to eat fish 3x per week and eggs 1x per week for the choline and other goodies.

At this point I see no side effects after being on Crestor for 2 months. I will pay very close attention to insulin markers.
SoCalGuy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SoCalGuy »

I just came across this paper shared by Ivor Cummins who has done a lot of great work in the lipid space as far as being a skeptic of the cholesterol hypothesis for CVD. The paper focuses on using Apo B/Apo A1 ratio as being a very strong predictor of CVD. He mentioned something similar on the LIvin La Vida Low Carb show very recently that peaked my interest but I didn't really chase down exactly what he was covering. This sounds pretty similar. Here is the link.

Link: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... +PAPER.pdf

Long story short is any ratio above 0.9 appears to suggest increased risk for CVD. Anything below 0.5 is ideal. I didn't get my APO A1 measured this time but I have had it measured twice over the past 4.5 years with the most recent reading in July and it has always been in the 140 range. Based on my previous Apo B assays I was just above that 0.9 threshold. While I haven't had my Apo A1 measured since this summer it appears to be related to HDL-C and my HDL-C hasn't changed at all since going on a statin. So if Apo A1 is still in the 140 range my new ratio with the lowered Apo B assay would be 0.48.

So that's another data point that makes me much less likely to bump up my current dose of Crestor. I'm going to get Apo B, Apo A1, and LDL-P measured in late February and confirm the Apo B/Apo A1 ratio.
dyacubo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dyacubo »

Hello SoCalGay,
thank you very much for all your posts. I have a very similar problem to yours, the only difference, whatever I do I am not able to lower my LDL-P. can I trouble you and ask to share your diet plan? I am not sure how much of each of the fiber(oats, rice, etc) you are consuming in a day.
thank you in advance

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Chameleon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Chameleon »

Hi dyacubo,

I wanted to welcome you to the APOE4 community. While you wait for SoCalGay to weigh in and respond to your post, I wanted to encourage you to check out the Primer as that has so much great information in there.

Also, you can search for specific topics in the Wiki.
Please feel free to continue to ask questions and reach out to anyone on the site.
dyacubo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dyacubo »

Hi Chameleon,
Thank you for your reply. Even though this is my first post, I was reading the forum for quite some time. I already read both Primer and the Wiki a few times.
Right now I am trying to find out what is actually would work for me.

Thank you again to all of you for doing this

SoCalGuy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SoCalGuy »

dyacubo wrote:Hello SoCalGay,
thank you very much for all your posts. I have a very similar problem to yours, the only difference, whatever I do I am not able to lower my LDL-P. can I trouble you and ask to share your diet plan? I am not sure how much of each of the fiber(oats, rice, etc) you are consuming in a day.
thank you in advance

Hello dyacubo,

I just replied to your private message and gave you an overview of what I am doing right now. I will get my lipids checked again in late February and will update once I have some new data to share.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

SoCalGuy wrote: Hello dyacubo,

I just replied to your private message and gave you an overview of what I am doing right now. I will get my lipids checked again in late February and will update once I have some new data to share.
If this private conversation is useful for the two of you, it most likely would benefit other members as well! Please consider posting for all of us if you are comfortable doing this.
Slacker
E4/E4