New Member - APOE 2/4

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
lindaswelker
New User
New User

New Member - APOE 2/4

Post by lindaswelker »

My name is Linda and with my doctor's help, I have found out that I am APOE 2/4. With all the research I have done, I am having a hard time seeing any for my type. I am trying to see if I should read and follow the Plant Paradox or should I follow another plan?
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Re: New Member - APOE 2/4

Post by Sara »

Greetings Linda and welcome to the apoe4.info site! There is some excellent information about nutrition in the Primer which was written by Stavia, a physician, member and E4/E4. Congratulations for being on top of your status and researching the best nutritional plan for you! It might help if you were to share a little more of you story... and you can do this on Our Stories... for instance your age, symptoms and any medical concerns. Many on this site are following Dr. Bredesen's Ketoflex 12/3 plan but this is a highly personalized decision and it would be helpful to work with someone trained in these nutritional protocols albeit a practitioner, nutritionist or health coach. Warm Regard!
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by aphorist »

I'd be curious to see what your lipids look like. ApoE 2/4 is pretty unique.
ncjlhp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ncjlhp »

I am also APOE4/2, 64 years old, and since we are somewhat rare, there appears to be little specific information that applies just to us. I am following low carb diet- doing the best I can, taking some supplements. I have no cognitive issues, but my family history is very strong for AD. I am not sure what else I need to be doing.
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

Welcome to the APO community Linda. I recently read "The Alzheimer's Antidote" by Amy Berger, MS, CNS, NTP. David Perlmutter, MD wrote the forward and this part of his review ". . . harvests our most highly regarded scientific research to create an empowering, user-friendly game plan that rewrites our health destiny as it relates to the brain." I have to agree that it is a user-friendly read and could be another resource as you begin your journey figuring out what works best for you and your unique body.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
ed_ph413
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: New Member - APOE 2/4

Post by ed_ph413 »

Sara wrote:Greetings Linda and welcome to the apoe4.info site! There is some excellent information about nutrition in the Primer which was written by Stavia, a physician, member and E4/E4. Congratulations for being on top of your status and researching the best nutritional plan for you! It might help if you were to share a little more of you story... and you can do this on Our Stories... for instance your age, symptoms and any medical concerns. Many on this site are following Dr. Bredesen's Ketoflex 12/3 plan but this is a highly personalized decision and it would be helpful to work with someone trained in these nutritional protocols albeit a practitioner, nutritionist or health coach. Warm Regard!
I am also a 2/4. My searching has led me to conflicting information, probably because we are too rare to study. It seems that the keto 12/3 is best. My triglycerides cut in half and my HDL went up. LDLc went up but small particle size isn't too bad. I suggest Calcium CT scoring. Mine was a little high in 2017 so I will retest in another year or so since it's a lot of radiation.
Es

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
KennaH
New User
New User

Post by KennaH »

I'm also 2/4, and just joined. Like you, I am finding it hard to pin down what is best for my type.
GLS18
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GLS18 »

KennaH wrote:I'm also 2/4, and just joined. Like you, I am finding it hard to pin down what is best for my type.
Hi KennaH & A Very Warm Welcome To Our Community!

For many members, it can take time to tweak the plan that is best suited to our unique needs. In addition to labs and biomarkers, it is critical to understand how you are feeling physically and emotionally.

In addition to our incredible community forums, partnering with a physican trained in the field of cognitive decline can help you focus in on the right path for you. Searching for a Healthcare Practitioner can support your search if you are interested. As you are new to our site, I would like to share some resources that will empower and enlighten. The Primer, beautifully compiled by practitioner and fellow E4E4 member Stavia, covers a wide range of topics and provides several lifestyle factors including nutrition, to optimize cognitive health. For tips on navigating the site more effectively, you can go here: How To Get The Most From The ApoE4.Info Website.

Please let us know how you are doing. We look forward to your continued feedback and contributions.

Wishing you all the best and again, a warm welcome:)
Gina
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline For Coaches Certification Candidate, Fall 2018
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Both ApoE2 and ApoE4 are associated with increased the risk for heart disease.

From Apolipoprotein E: from cardiovascular disease to neurodegenerative disorders
ApoE2 and apoE4 increase the risk for heart disease: apoE2 increases atherogenic lipoprotein levels (it binds poorly to LDL receptors), and apoE4 increases LDL levels (it binds preferentially to triglyceride-rich, very low density lipoproteins, leading to downregulation of LDL receptors).
As a 4/4 I've not researched ApoE2 very much, but ApoE2s don't appear to have an elevated risk for Alzheimer's. If a 2/4, does the 2 cancel out the 4 for Alzheimer's? I don't know, but I should think the risk is lower than a 3/4.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
KennaH
New User
New User

Post by KennaH »

Thank you for the warm welcome and the info! I confess I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the sheer amount of information available here and by the depth of the conversations. But I'm looking forward to learning. I have heard that 2 and 4 cancel each other out, and thereby render the carrier about equal to a 3/3 in terms of Azheimer's risk, but I haven't seen any evidence to back that up. And I assume that the statistics given for a heterozygous 4 carrier are based on a 3/4 profile, since 2/4 is so rare.