Does 23andMe indicate early onset AD as well?

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
andrewa303
Contributor
Contributor

Does 23andMe indicate early onset AD as well?

Post by andrewa303 »

Hello Community,

Apologies if this topic has been covered but I haven't found it by using the Advance Search tool..

I've recently received my 23andMe results and while I have a family history (early onset dementia) my test indicated no variants for late onset dementia. Why doesn't 23andMe test for early onset? And what are the other ways I can test for this?

My father showed symptoms of early onset dementia from 54 years old..I'm 37 and looking to get ahead of the disease as much as I can.

Thank you!

Best,

Andy
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Does 23andMe indicate early onset AD as well?

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, Andy! Short answer: No, 23andMe doesn't test for the deterministic early onset genes. That said, many people without those genes are developing symptoms of cognitive decline at earlier ages because of toxic, infectious or viral exposures. Your father's etiology isn't necessarily determined by his genome.
andrewa303
Contributor
Contributor

Post by andrewa303 »

Hi Julie, thank you for the welcome and the quick reply!

Just so I understand, are those toxic, infectious, and viral exposures building up the BA plaque that could lead to symptoms of cognitive decline way down the road?

Is there a thread that lists what I should do from here to understand/test for those toxic, infectious, and viral exposures?

And is there a test for understanding how much BA plaque someone is carrying that measures against a baseline...or am getting too far ahead?

AA
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Yes, this form of AD typically contributes to beta-amyloid accumulation. This thread provides some of the information that you're seeking. Feel free to reach out with questions.
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

andrewa303 wrote:Hello Community,

Apologies if this topic has been covered but I haven't found it by using the Advance Search tool..

I've recently received my 23andMe results and while I have a family history (early onset dementia) my test indicated no variants for late onset dementia. Why doesn't 23andMe test for early onset? And what are the other ways I can test for this?

My father showed symptoms of early onset dementia from 54 years old..I'm 37 and looking to get ahead of the disease as much as I can.

Thank you!

Best,

Andy
Welcome to the forum Andy!
I see that Julie has provided you with some useful information.

Have you found the PRIMER yet? It is a great place to start exploring the forum. I call it a road- map, motivator and inspiration:).
It talks about the science of Apoe4 allele, contains many useful tips and ready to apply simple life-style and diet strategies. It has been written by our member Dr. Stavia:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418
I think, you will also find Dr. Bredesen's book " The End of Alzheimer's" very helpful. In the book the author talks about different possible causes of dementia (toxins are mentioned), and suggests actionable steps to prevent it and even reverse it. Many members on our site follow Dr Bredesen's protocol called : "The Recode". Here is the link to the overview:
https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Bredesen_Protocol

Please keep browsing and let us know if any more questions come to your mind.

My best,
Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline