Brain Health diet

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
OmahaEyes
New User
New User

Brain Health diet

Post by OmahaEyes »

Hello:
I’m new to the group and am looking for some information on the Bredesen “diet” and others. I may have some early cognitive decline (female 58 yrs). According to 23andme I am not ApoE positive but have performed less than perfect on various memory tests with a few doctors and a suspect PET scan.
Since this all started in July 2017 I feel I have read everything there is to read on reversing my decline starting with diet and exercise however many of the books seem to have conflicting information. For example, I’m trying to eat gluten, sugar and dairy free but what about foods like tapioca starch, potato starch, brown rice flour, etc.
What oils besides olive oil. Is there a forum or a list of qualified nutritionists?
Trying also to stay calm and get some sleep past 4 hours.
So glad I found this page!
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Brain Health diet

Post by CarrieS »

OmahaEyes wrote:Hello:
I’m new to the group and am looking for some information on the Bredesen “diet” and others. I may have some early cognitive decline (female 58 yrs). According to 23andme I am not ApoE positive but have performed less than perfect on various memory tests with a few doctors and a suspect PET scan.
Since this all started in July 2017 I feel I have read everything there is to read on reversing my decline starting with diet and exercise however many of the books seem to have conflicting information. For example, I’m trying to eat gluten, sugar and dairy free but what about foods like tapioca starch, potato starch, brown rice flour, etc.
What oils besides olive oil. Is there a forum or a list of qualified nutritionists?
Trying also to stay calm and get some sleep past 4 hours.
So glad I found this page!
Hello OmahaEyes and Welcome to the Community,
A great source of information is the Primer written by physician member Stavia. There is a section on Eating a healthy diet with heaps of micronutrients that you may find helpful in trying to figure out some diet strategies. The Wiki is also a valuable source of more in depth information too.

You may also want to consider working with a Health Coach to help you implement dietary changes. You'll find a list of coaches here: Health Coaches. A coach may be able to help you with your questions about what to eat and how to figure out the best diet for your unique body.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
Gillyp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gillyp »

A warm welcome OmahaEyes. You've already taken some great steps forward by taking the time to read everything that you can about reversing decline and you're certainly on the right track in wanting to make changes in diet, exercise and other lifestyle choices. Making any of these changes can certainly help. I agree, it can get very confusing when working on your food choices and I see that CarrieS has already given you some great links for further information. As Carrie suggests working with a coach may really help you move forward. Have you ever thought about reaching out to one? A health coach can certainly guide you through these choices.

We're here to help and support one another so please post any further questions - or thoughts and insights that you have. Breathing deeply, meditation and mindfulness might be useful tools in calming you - and help you sleep better. Those are other areas a coach might be able to help you with. I look forward to reading more posts from you. Once again, welcome.
ND, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
FMCA/Reversing Cognitive Decline - Pending Fall 2018
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Hi Omaha;

The more you read, the more divergent nutrition information you will find, even with members of this website. Eventually, you will have to eat what makes the most sense to you, and tweak as you go. I agree with CarrieS that our Primer is a sensible place to start. And Gillyp rightful points out that there are other areas of health that are important to take into consideration. The Primer discusses these as well. Start slow, step by step. It can be overwhelming!
Slacker
E4/E4
NeverMind
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NeverMind »

Welcome to the group OmahaEyes (I am a newbie myself). I noticed that you wrote ”get some sleep past 4 hours”. Do you wake up and then return to sleep or are you wide awake after only 4-6 hours sleep? You had read a lot why I presume you are quite aware of the absolute importance of getting your 8 hours of recovery. If the latter is the case, I believe that should be of primary concern and be addressed before the questionmarks regarding diets.