Dairy Reduction - Simple Question

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Robhypno
Contributor
Contributor

Dairy Reduction - Simple Question

Post by Robhypno »

This maybe a silly question about dairy Reduction or complete avoidance

I'm very new to Dr Bredesen protocol and have had great results by eliminating gluten and going full keto. All my bloods so far have been great. Anecdotal results have been amazing

However, I get slightly confused about Bredesen protocol regarding dairy. Here's the silly question

Reduction in Milk, ie lactose OR All dairy?

I'm trying to reduce my animal protein intake in general. I use cream, butter and dripping as well as coconut oil and olive oil as my fats

I've get lots of contradictions also when reading Dr Grundy diet suggestions

Thanks for advice
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Dairy Reduction - Simple Question

Post by Julie G »

However, I get slightly confused about Bredesen protocol regarding dairy. Here's the silly question

Reduction in Milk, ie lactose OR All dairy?
Not a silly question at all. Dr. Bredesen recommends strictly limiting dairy to just small amounts from A2 dairy to reduce the inflammatory effect. A2 milk lacks most of the β-casein proteins found in A1, responsible for many of the negative health effects. Some people, who are particularly sensitive, still can't tolerate A2 dairy. Most dairy is from cows who exclusively produce A1 milk, but you can find plain cow's milk from A2 cows, labelled "A2." Goat, sheep, yak, and camel all produce exclusively A2 milk. You can also enjoy small amounts of cheese, yogurt or kefir from these animals.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Also , when you are in the mood for a splurge, French cheese. I originally thought all European dairy was A2 but on further research learned it is only France. Below is a quote from one of the many online websites that discusses A1 and A2 dairy.

It’s interesting to note that while most European countries produce A1 milk, France produces A2. The reason is that cows and dairy products are responsible for a significant segment of the French economy. French dairy farmers must abide by strict guidelines to ensure the highest-quality milk.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Robhypno
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robhypno »

Dairy explained for me, thank you.

My heart sank when I thought I had to give up yet another food source haha

Last question, I promise

Cows butter and cream therefore not on the menu?
WifeOfJoel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by WifeOfJoel »

It comes down to the cows' genetics - most U.S. cows are A1 ("bad"), but not all. Same goes for Australia, New Zealand, and most of Europe (although not France). So you can find A2 milk, but you have to read labels and likely pay more.
Take this company from Washington state, for example; they offer organic, A2 milk:
http://www.cascadiacreamery.com/beyond_organic.html

Milks from other species (sheep, goat, donkeys, yaks, camel, buffalo, sheep) don't have the "bad" A1, so you could try those - goat cheese and sheep cheese (feta) you've probably had before.

All that said, red meat and dairy (especially cheese, sadly) from any of those animals (cows, sheep, etc.) have N-glycolylneuraminic acid, or Neu5Gc, which is pro-inflammatory (https://blog.aicr.org/2015/01/14/study- ... nd-cancer/). So I would stick to plants as much as possible, and use animal products as the condiment they are meant to be, if at all. Calcium can be obtained from leafy green vegetables, in case you were wondering about that.

physician scientist
Me: APOε3/3, MTHFR (C677T) homozygote
Partner: APOε4/4
Mother: APOε3/4