What are you eating today? :)

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

What are you eating today? :)

Post by Richard McG »

Ok starting to get a little bored of my set meals following Dr. Bredesen et. al. Curious can you share what you guys eat during the day?
Looking for some inspiration from the senior members........my meals are looking bland these days (maybe explains I'm loosing too much weight I think :D ) so looking for fun but easy to prepare meals if you could share, please.

Thanks so much....
52 years of age, 4/4, BMI ~19, Omad, No cognitive decline as of yet ;)
dpnelson
Contributor
Contributor

Re: What are you eating today? :)

Post by dpnelson »

Salmon CevicheImage

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

I didn't take a picture but I made a stirfry with what I had on hand: broccoli, asparagus, onion, mushrooms, garlic, green cabbage, zucchini, cherry tomato, carrot, rainbow chard, fresh ginger, coconut aminos and toasted sesame oil. I will add shrimp, chicken or other meat if I have it around and mix up the vegetables according to what I have.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
WifeOfJoel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by WifeOfJoel »

Today I had a green smoothie, blueberries, coffee and unsweetened almond milk with turmeric, pineapple (<-don't tell anybody, that one's on the avoid list ;)!), and a homemade tofu, vegetable, and Thai basil stirfry. Didn't take any pictures, but here are some pics from recent days to give you some ideas:

Made raw sauerkraut:
IMG_2323.JPG
Roasted Brussels sprouts, homemade marinara over rice pasta, mesclun salad:
PKFF8328.JPG
Eating out (at "bibibop" - a fast casual Korean fusion place, where you can choose greens or sweet potato noodles as a base), bowl with tons of veggies, plus miso soup:
IMG_E2315.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

physician scientist
Me: APOε3/3, MTHFR (C677T) homozygote
Partner: APOε4/4
Mother: APOε3/4
WifeOfJoel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by WifeOfJoel »

Homemade lentil soup (pressure cook if you're following Gundry's plan), roasted Brussels sprouts, sweet potato taco (omit or use alternative wrapper if you don't do corn), salad, and red wine:
IMG_E2259.JPG
(Rice) macaroni and (blended butternut squash/coconut cream/nutritional yeast) "cheese" (no dairy); OK with Bredesen's plan but would change out the noodles for maybe shirataki ones and swap carrots for squash if you're following Gundry, as he is strictly no grains or squashes:
MUAL5518.JPG
Vegetable soup (with onions, multicolored carrots, sweet potatoes, cruciferous veggies, and greens):
TWMY8086.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

physician scientist
WifeOfJoel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by WifeOfJoel »

Sweet potato noodles are a great substitute for rice vermicelli (last night's dinner):
IMG_2371.JPG

physician scientist
PRESCOTT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PRESCOTT »

Wonderful beautiful thoughtful meals ! All of these look so good. Sweet potato noodles, I need to locate. Also am impressed with the homemade kraut. We keep taking making about making the kraut, need to get to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

PRESCOTT wrote:Wonderful beautiful thoughtful meals ! All of these look so good. Sweet potato noodles, I need to locate. Also am impressed with the homemade kraut. We keep taking making about making the kraut, need to get to that. ..
Welcome PRESCOTT,

Thank you for your comments on our meal suggestions! We do have many wonderful cooks in this community who have found ways to make healthy foods taste delicious.

We are, however, first and foremost looking to spread the word about living well with ApoE 4, a genetic risk for Alzheimer's, heart disease and other health conditions.
The Welcome page is a great start to learn more about this website. We encourage new users to check out our PRIMER, which has many helpful topics for people beginning to learn about ApoE4 and those ready to dive in to the deep end.

Also helpful for navigating the site is our "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website.
4/4 and still an optimist!
PRESCOTT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PRESCOTT »

Thank you for the informative response. I learned of my APOE 4/4 this past Thursday, 02/21/19. Needless to say I am reeling, I am not a scientific or medical person, the news took me by surprise. I was not clear on what 4/4 signifies, I have since learned. I am so relieved to have stumbled onto this group. The sight is extremely informative, well organized.

My wife and I recently viewed the video series, The Broken Brain by Mark Hyman and many others. We have read The End Of Alzheimers by Dale Bredesen. We are both working with The Ultrawellness Center in Lennox, MA., not far from were we live. I sought out help from the Ultrawellness Center in response to self diagnosed mild cognitive impairment in my case. I am 67, retired, my career was building construction related to older structures. I am also concerned is possible exposure to heavy metals, VOCs, toxins related to that work. We have been on Mark Hyman’s Eat Fat Get Thin Diet for the past year in addition to a supplement regime, healthy lifestyle adaptions. I am a fan of Dr. Ann Hathaway, her interview in the Broken Brain Series. I am adapting my diet, lifestyle, particularly sleep and exercise to her recommendations.
All of this is scary, exciting, and as of day 4, a relief to have the genetic information. I am a firm believer in epigenetic theory. As Mark Hyman says, “The gun is loaded, you have control of the trigger”. I can not express enough gratitude for this community, the openness, and support offered here. Thank you all.

Ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

PRESCOTT wrote:Thank you for the informative response. I learned of my APOE 4/4 this past Thursday, 02/21/19. Needless to say I am reeling, I am not a scientific or medical person, the news took me by surprise. I was not clear on what 4/4 signifies, I have since learned. I am so relieved to have stumbled onto this group. The sight is extremely informative, well organized.

...We are both working with The Ultrawellness Center in Lennox, MA., not far from were we live. I sought out help from the Ultrawellness Center in response to self diagnosed mild cognitive impairment in my case. I am 67, retired, my career was building construction related to older structures. I am also concerned is possible exposure to heavy metals, VOCs, toxins related to that work....
All of this is scary, exciting, and as of day 4, a relief to have the genetic information. I am a firm believer in epigenetic theory. As Mark Hyman says, “The gun is loaded, you have control of the trigger”. I can not express enough gratitude for this community, the openness, and support offered here. Thank you all.
Ed
Thanks so much for a quick reply, Ed and for sharing your story. (Do you prefer that we use your user name of PRESCOTT or stick with "Ed"?)

As someone who is a few short weeks away from turning 67, and who took a LONG time to adjust to my 4/4 news 5 years ago, I am in awe of your knowledge base "4 days in" and the commitment of you and your wife to using an eclectic, informed approach to improving your health. I agree that epigenetics is the key to modifying risk and promoting resilience.

The question of exposure to heavy metals and toxins is one that hasn't received as much attention, but is certainly on the minds of people with histories like yours. Having driven through the lovely area around Lennox many times on the Mass Pike, I do think you may have very healthy air quality compared to some major cities.

You may be interested in this quote from a 2017 meta-analysis of four large cohorts, three of them population-based and therefore more representative of risk than a sample of people who go to a memory center for testing. This is the risk of either Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) or any type of dementia for people currently ages 60-75:
The Generation Study elected to disclose the following “lifetime” risks of MCI or dementia to its potential participants: 30%–55% for individuals with APOE-e4/e4; 20%–25% for individuals with APOE-e3/e4 and -e2/e4 (with a note that risk might be lower for those with APOE-e2/e4); and 10%–15% for individuals with APOE-e3/e3, -e3/e2, and -e2/e2 (with a note that risk might be lower for those with APOE-e2/e3 and -e2/e2). These values are consistent with our findings, but use round numbers for intelligibility, and broader ranges to reflect statistical and other sources of uncertainty.

APOE-related risk of mild cognitive impairment and dementia for prevention trials: An analysis of four cohorts

I added that emphasis because for people our age, this means that we have a 45-70% chance of doing just fine to the age of 85, which is what the analysis used as a "lifetime" measure based on current life expectancies.

Feel free to jump into any conversation, and remember: the more people like you and I who show that it is possible to live well, with purpose and joy, even with an uncertain risk, the more that people will realize that we are still the construction managers of our own work sites!

P.S. As an aside, I should never be trusted at any construction site in any role. At the age of 5, I lost my two front teeth walking into a sawhorse at the St Patrick's Day parade in NYC. Great way to get the horse and police officer I was looking at to come over to reassure me that the Tooth Fairy would know those were my two teeth on Fifth Avenue!).
4/4 and still an optimist!