What are you eating today? :)

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
CoachJD
Contributor
Contributor

Re: What are you eating today? :)

Post by CoachJD »

Hello Ed and welcome to this amazing community. I admire the positive approach you and your wife are taking to care for yourselves, and I'm glad you found the resource on this site. I had the opportunity to work on construction sites and loved the work but was very concerned about the chemicals, so I understand your desire to evaluate the impact of your past career on your future. But our bodies have an amazing ability and desire to heal, so keep giving yourself all the good stuff to help remove the bad. And you are certainly in good hand at the Ultrawellness Center! I hope you'll come back frequently and let us know how you are doing!
Joan Dickason, FMCHC
National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline For Coaches, CertificationPending Fall 2018
"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional " Haruki Muraka
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

PRESCOTT wrote: My wife and I recently viewed the video series, The Broken Brain by Mark Hyman and many others. We have read The End Of Alzheimers by Dale Bredesen. We are both working with The Ultrawellness Center in Lennox, MA., not far from were we live. I sought out help from the Ultrawellness Center in response to self diagnosed mild cognitive impairment in my case. I am 67, retired, my career was building construction related to older structures. I am also concerned is possible exposure to heavy metals, VOCs, toxins related to that work. We have been on Mark Hyman’s Eat Fat Get Thin Diet for the past year in addition to a supplement regime, healthy lifestyle adaptions. I am a fan of Dr. Ann Hathaway, her interview in the Broken Brain Series. I am adapting my diet, lifestyle, particularly sleep and exercise to her recommendations.
All of this is scary, exciting, and as of day 4, a relief to have the genetic information. I am a firm believer in epigenetic theory. As Mark Hyman says, “The gun is loaded, you have control of the trigger”. I can not express enough gratitude for this community, the openness, and support offered here. Thank you all.
Ed
Hi PRESCOTT,

Congratulations for moving forward so quickly in response to your self diagnosed MCI. You have found a lot of great resources for information and support. In my opinion, you are wise to be concerned about your exposure to toxins. Dr Bredesen identifies toxins as a major driver of cognitive decline. As someone who spent 14 years as a house painter and then switched to arts and crafts, I have also been exposed to a lot of VOC's, heavy metals, and other toxins. Much of my efforts over the last year have been focused on detoxification and I'm now in my 8th month of DMSA chelation for heavy metals. Using a urine challenge test, I tested very high on lead, which makes sense considering I used to burn the paint off old houses and then sand the surface, releasing lots of air born lead just prior to the time CA enacted strict regulations which outlawed following such cavalier methods when dealing with lead paint. I also was exposed to lots of thinners and other highly volatile substances including many of the paints.
As an artist I have continued exposure to pigments and high VOC sprays; I also tested very high on cadmium and then looked at some of the pigments I was using to create desired colors. Many contained cadmium in their names.

You can check previous posts on any topic by using the Search option. For example, if you'd like to read previous posts on this website related to heavy metals, you can click the magnifying glass to the left of your user name, enter "heavy metals", and you'll see what has been posted. Quite a bit! Personally I feel that detoxification is an important area to address.

Please post your own methods of addressing your previous exposure to toxins. I am very curious about how/(if?) The Ultrawellness Center addresses toxicity. we are all learning from each other.
Best wishes!
floramaria
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
WifeOfJoel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by WifeOfJoel »

Welcome, Ed/Prescott!
Let me know if you need any help with kraut! The book “Wild Fermentation” has a great adaptable recipe.
The sweet potato noodles are available online, but are typically thrice the price ($9) as an Asian super market ($3). So I go for the latter when I can!

Hoping to get some food prep ideas from others on this thread, as I’d like to eliminate grains completely to see how that goes for me and my family members (for the time being, hubby and I cut out gluten and have only reduced our grain consumption). I found out yesterday my dad is 3/3, but he seems to have memory impairment worse than my mom, who is 3/4. So your realization that you’re 4/4 doesn’t determine your fate :) My husband is 4/4, and I want him to stay sharp; so happy this site exists!
And in the spirit of this topic, this is what we’re eating today (tangerines in season, peach black tea with ginger sweet fruit oil, broccoli with garlic olive oil, fried eggs with herbs):
5CBF7293-D6D5-4D37-BC0F-AE4B4B7B6115.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

physician scientist
Me: APOε3/3, MTHFR (C677T) homozygote
Partner: APOε4/4
Mother: APOε3/4
PRESCOTT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PRESCOTT »

Thank you for the ideas, I will pick up the fermentation book, we do have an Asian market nearby. Excellent suggestion on getting the noddles there. We hope to make Kimche also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

PRESCOTT wrote:Thank you for the ideas, I will pick up the fermentation book, we do have an Asian market nearby. Excellent suggestion on getting the noddles there. We hope to make Kimche also.
Another thought on the sweet potato noodles is to pick up a "spiralizer" type of tool and make your own spiralized vegetables. A great book to check out is called "Inspiralized" by Ali Maffucci. She has some really interesting takes on food. Her website is: https://inspiralized.com She also sells a spiralizer that seems to be good quality.
Another fermentation book to check out is Fermented Vegetables by Kirsten & Christopher Shockey. It's a great resource for flavorful ferments and easy to follow directions for beginners.
Carrie
APOe4/4
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

I've been looking at Dr. Mark Hyman's books lately and found that he has some recipes that may be of interest. I like to download recipes into a recipe app on my iPad called Paprika so that I can access them when I need them. I try to find recipes on line as much as I can to direct download into the app. I found a bunch of recipes at https://drhyman.com/blog/category/recipes/. It looks like you can save to Pinterest or save a PDF too. As always, you may have to adjust the recipes for your dietary needs but these may provide some inspiration for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, etc.
APOe4/4
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist