how many eggs can I eat on Bredesen diet

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
JesusMadeMe
Contributor
Contributor

how many eggs can I eat on Bredesen diet

Post by JesusMadeMe »

We have recently started on Bredesen diet and didn't find how many eggs a day I can eat? I presently may eat 7.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: how many eggs can I eat on Bredesen diet

Post by Julie G »

Dr. Bredesen has further refined his animal protein limitations to 1 gram of protein per kilogram of lean body mass per day. You can use cron-o-meter to sort out how many eggs that equals for you.

Those with underlying GI issues or with active infections (Type 3 AD/“toxic”) may need 10-20% more until sufficient healing has occurred. Same with those age 65 and older.
JesusMadeMe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JesusMadeMe »

Thank you so much, Julie! This answers my question. Our Tanita Scale helps me to estimate the body fat. JesusMadeMe!
Josiah
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Josiah »

Julie G wrote:Dr. Bredesen has further refined his animal protein limitations to 1 gram of protein per kilogram of lean body mass per day. You can use cron-o-meter to sort out how many eggs that equals for you.
What then is the recommended amount of plant sourced protein that Dr B suggests?
E3/E3 male age 84
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

What then is the recommended amount of plant sourced protein that Dr B suggests?
No limit as protein is found in all plants which are an important foundation of the diet. That said, even though the protein in some vegetables like broccoli and spinach is quite high, it’s largely incomplete and much less bioavailable.
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by BrianR »

Julie G wrote:Dr. Bredesen has further refined his animal protein limitations to 1 gram of protein per kilogram of lean body mass per day.
Hi Julie, do you happen to know what references Dr. Bredesen is relying on to make that recommendation?

thanks - Brian
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hi Julie, do you happen to know what references Dr. Bredesen is relying on to make that recommendation?

thanks - Brian
Hi Brian! A culmination of many references, but it's loosely based on Valter Longo's recommendations.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Here is a link that talks about Longo's "Longevity" diet: https://valterlongo.com/daily-longevity-diet/
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Here is a link that talks about Longo's "Longevity" diet: https://valterlongo.com/daily-longevity-diet/
Thanks, Mike. While Dr. Bredesen would agree with many of these recommendations, he's not a fan of whole grains due to the potential for inflammation, intestinal permeability, and weight gain. That said, there are some that he would allow in limited amounts as resistant starch (cooked then cooled) as long as blood glucose doesn't spike. In general, he would recommend replacing whole grains with plants. Our ancestors ate them for millennia until the recent advent of agriculture (10,000 years ago) that just happens to coincide with a decrease in brain size.
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by BrianR »

Thanks!