Coffee?

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Coffee?

Post by Richard McG »

How many of you are Coffee drinkers? I wonder not a big fan of hot drinks any other suggestions to get the benefits of coffee consumption?
Thanks, Friends.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321406.php
52 years of age, 4/4, BMI ~19, Omad, No cognitive decline as of yet ;)
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Coffee?

Post by Fiver »

I never liked coffee growing up. Now it's a key part of my mornings.

I would think that you could get similar benefits from drinking cold tea (without sugar). Like "sun tea", made from the same teas without the heat. Just have to avoid the temptation to add sugar. The Kona Red company sells green coffee fruit extract, and prepackaged cold beverages made from it. The GCFE is added to hot drinks, but could be added to anything I suppose. I have not tried their cold beverages.

Also, many of the same phenols/polyphenols are found in berries. Blueberries are a rich source of mixed phenols, for example. Basically plant parts that are deeply pigmented and maybe a bit bitter (though bitterness can be covered up by sweetness) will have many similar phenols.
SoCalGuy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SoCalGuy »

Richard McG wrote:How many of you are Coffee drinkers? I wonder not a big fan of hot drinks any other suggestions to get the benefits of coffee consumption?
Thanks, Friends.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321406.php
I love coffee. I actually switched to decaf so I can drink more. :D I'd think some form of coffee extract like Fiver mentioned may be beneficial but I honestly have no idea.
donbob
Contributor
Contributor

Post by donbob »

[quote="Richard McG"]How many of you are Coffee drinkers? I wonder not a big fan of hot drinks any other suggestions to get the benefits of coffee consumption?]
I make and drink ‘cold brew’ coffee. You can use caffeinated or decaf coffee for cold brew.
DonBob
e3e4
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by aphorist »

I do 16 oz caffeinated in the AM. But I'm not entirely happy with it, because I question the impact it has on B-vitamin levels and any inflammatory cause it may have.
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Richard McG »

Thank You guys!
52 years of age, 4/4, BMI ~19, Omad, No cognitive decline as of yet ;)
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thjj »

I drink about 8-16oz of brewed coffee a day, to enjoy with one slab of dark chocolate. Altho I'd do better w/o it since I have pre-hypertension. I like espresso even more, and am even thinking about buying my own espresso machine :oops:
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thjj »

actually *slab* sounds like a big piece of chocolate; I actually eat one square of dark chocolate with my daily coffee.
thjj wrote:I drink about 8-16oz of brewed coffee a day, to enjoy with one slab of dark chocolate. Altho I'd do better w/o it since I have pre-hypertension. I like espresso even more, and am even thinking about buying my own espresso machine :oops:
· • She/her · • ·
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

thjj wrote:actually *slab* sounds like a big piece of chocolate; I actually eat one square of dark chocolate with my daily coffee.
thjj wrote:I drink about 8-16oz of brewed coffee a day, to enjoy with one slab of dark chocolate. Altho I'd do better w/o it since I have pre-hypertension. I like espresso even more, and am even thinking about buying my own espresso machine :oops:

Thanks for the clarification! You're right; "slab" sounds like the flagstone I was hauling around yesterday. You wanna save that size for special occasions! :lol:
4/4 and still an optimist!
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thjj »

NF52 wrote:
thjj wrote:actually *slab* sounds like a big piece of chocolate; I actually eat one square of dark chocolate with my daily coffee.

Thanks for the clarification! You're right; "slab" sounds like the flagstone I was hauling around yesterday. You wanna save that size for special occasions! :lol:
I definitely will!
btw, were you really hauling a flagstone??
· • She/her · • ·