Cocoavia

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
dlerner
Contributor
Contributor

Cocoavia

Post by dlerner »

Thoughts on using this? Capsules or powder?
What about Tumeric
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Cocoavia

Post by BrianR »

dlerner wrote:Thoughts on using this? Capsules or powder?
Richard Isaacson, et al reference this paper:
Desideri, G., Kwik-Uribe, C., Grassi, D., Necozione, S., Ghiadoni, L., and Mastroiacovo, D. Benefits in cognitive function, blood pressure, and insulin resistance through cocoa flavanol consumption in elderly subjects with mild cognitive impairment: the Cocoa, Cognition, and Aging (CoCoA) study. Hypertension. 2012; 60: 794–801
Available here: https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/101/3/538/4569408

Note that the COCOA research was supported by Mars.

According to the paper, if you have issues with insulin sensitivity, cocoa might help. Separately, Consumer Labs found the CocoaVia had the best price per quantity of cocoa flavanols (and minimal cadmium contamination) when they last tested (2017, I think).

You should probably skim the paper and see if you think you're part of the population who might benefit.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

dlerner wrote:Thoughts on using this? Capsules or powder?
What about Tumeric

Hi dlerner,

It must be "Turmeric Night" here at ApoE.info! There have been several posts this evening about curcumin, the active ingredient in Turmeric. A good way to join that conversation, and to catch up on what people have already posted on this topic is to look at "turmeric" or/and "curcumin" using the Search function. You can access that by clicking on the magnifying glass to the left of your user name.
There are a lot of interesting posts on the subject.

there is one post that mentions CocoVia. I hope that helps.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Metta4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Metta4 »

Hi dlerner,

My experience with Cocovia was that it made me ill and I had to throw $50 worth of it away. Maltodextrin affects a lot of people with GI distress and I'm one of them. I am also not convinced that the research that claimed it was useful should be trusted since it was paid for by the makers of Cocovia. Now I just buy raw organic Cacao powder that claims it has no heavy metals.

Hope that's useful.
LOL444
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LOL444 »

Welcome Metta4! It is great to have you as a part of our community. Thank you for sharing your experience!
Dare to live a powerful life!

LOL444, Health and Wellness Coach
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Metta4 wrote:Hi dlerner,

My experience with Cocovia was that it made me ill and I had to throw $50 worth of it away. Maltodextrin affects a lot of people with GI distress and I'm one of them. I am also not convinced that the research that claimed it was useful should be trusted since it was paid for by the makers of Cocovia. Now I just buy raw organic Cacao powder that claims it has no heavy metals.

Hope that's useful.
Hi Metta4,

Welcome. Thanks for providing me with a good chuckle as I typed your user name. Since it looks like you are new to the forums, you may not have discovered the Primer yet. It is an excellent resource for getting a thorough introduction to the risks posed by the ApoE4 allele, and also prioritized steps for minimizing those risks. It is written by Stavia, a physician member, and is a great place to begin.

You probably got an email letting you know that I replied to your post. That is because I quoted you. (To quote someone, click the quote marks in the upper right hand of the post.) You can learn more on how to do that and other helpful tips for navigating the site and getting the most out it by visiting the Wiki and reading through Section 9.1.

If you feel so inclined, we'd love to know more about you and what brings you here. You can introduce yourself is in Our Stories.

Again, a warm welcome!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Metta4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Metta4 »

Thanks floramaria! I will try to get up to speed on using the wiki, and I've finally introduced myself in "Our Stories."
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Metta4 wrote:Thanks floramaria! I will try to get up to speed on using the wiki, and I've finally introduced myself in "Our Stories."
Hi Metta4,
Here's a direct link to the section on the wiki that gives tip (and screen shots) of the most common "how do I..." questions: "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website. As Floramaria said, the wiki itself is a treasure trove of great information, easy to browse the main topic headings by clicking on "Wiki" in the upper corner of any forum page.

Thanks also for sharing your story in the Our Stories forum. Many of us found our way here after the sad journey of a parent or other loved ones with dementia. It makes us both more determined not to take our brains for granted and more understanding of those who are now caregivers and care partners.

Since you posted about your interest in electrical sensitivity and the BBB, you may be interested in this thread, which received 33 posts and lots of views. Feel free to re-surface it with a post of information and resources you've come across--we love people who add to our information banks!

Radio Frequency Exposures
4/4 and still an optimist!