Intermittent Fasting

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by CarrieS »

mike wrote:Think of a cell like a laundromat with a bunch of washer and dryers that are constantly on. Over time, some of the equipment may stop working, and it gets fixed. At some point, there reaches a point where it is just too broken, with water gushing. Time to take that piece of equipment off line, and completely replace with a new model. This is autophagy as an ongoing process. Now let's say that I can't afford the electricity bill anymore, so I can either go belly up (cell dies), or I can try to lower my electricity by turning off some of my machines. In this case, the laundromat will choose the older machines using the most electricity. This is autophagy as a result of lack of supplies (glucose). Our cells will clean house of less efficient materials if they can to prevent cell death. You can induce more of this by going on a fast. The longer, the more it will happen. But in ApoE4 carriers, this process is probably going on decades prior to AD symptoms because of vascular issues. Autophagy being the first stop leading to hopefully Apoptosis (controlled death) of neurons, rather than uncontrolled death with a burst of toxics coming out or cells becoming senescent, where they continue to spew toxics over time.
I love this visual! Thank you.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

For beginners, like me, this is a good intro to IF:
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

CarrieS wrote:I love this visual! Thank you.
You're welcome! I find it easier to understand these kinds of things when I can tie them to more concrete/familiar analogies.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
dlerner
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dlerner »

What I find confusing is after how many hours does autophagy actually start? I've been doing 16/8 but if it doesn't start till after 16 hours and I'm eating after 16 hours is it actually having any time to do anything?
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

dlerner wrote:What I find confusing is after how many hours does autophagy actually start? I've been doing 16/8 but if it doesn't start till after 16 hours and I'm eating after 16 hours is it actually having any time to do anything?
Yes, I think this is the big question. If you are trying to induce more autophagy by restricting calories, does it increase right when you stop eating, or after glycogen stores are used up, or later? Many of the experts seem to think that it starts when glycogen stores are used up. Glycogen, a storage version of glucose, is stored mostly in muscle and the liver. It is the store in the liver which maintains blood glucose levels, so this is the important one for the brain. There tends to be about 8-12 hours worth of glycogen in the liver. So until this is used up, blood sugar is maintained and the brain continues to be in a fed state. So if this theory is correct, then after 8 or 12 hours of fasting, you should begin to get more autophagy. Other experts say you need to do more extended fasting - usually 4-5 days before it really kicks in. For cancer treatment, you can see people fasting for months. What happens when glycogen is exhausted? Hopefully, your body turns to its other glucose storage - your adipose tissue, where glucose is converted to triglycerides for storage, and then into ketones when the body needs fuel. If this is going on, are you getting autophagy...? I think the real benefit of IF is more one of giving your body a break from higher insulin levels and resting systems.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
BeachLiz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BeachLiz »

Josiah, do you think it's ok to drink black coffee in the morning until you break the fast after noon?
Pat95
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Pat95 »

I have been doing cycling keto diet per Dr. Mercola. I am also applying Plant Plant Pardox diet. It will be almost 1 year. I am 3/4 with Hashimotos. Off all meds doing fine. It does take a while to work up to ur fasting times. I fast at least 16 hours since I have an autoimmune. Dr. Mercola has a wonderful book on keto and fasting. He believes not to stay into ketosis all the time and explains it in his book. Does anyone experience their bilirubin slightly increasing when fasting? All other labs and liver enzymes in normal ranges.
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

Pat95 wrote:Does anyone experience their bilirubin slightly increasing when fasting? All other labs and liver enzymes in normal ranges.
Mine was high on my last test. It was the first time I've ever really paid close attention to my lab tests but am sure if it was ever tested before that it wasn't high or I would have noticed. I had been fasting for close to 24 hours due to timing when I did the tests.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Here's an abstract on a small number of patients that showed increased total bilirubin with fasting.

Other small studies can be found with internet searching.
Slacker
E4/E4
Pat95
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Pat95 »

Ok thank you so much for the info. I don't want to give this up. It seems to be working for me. I have worked so hard to get my health back in the last 5 years. I have been down many paths. It takes a lot of time ,money, and hard work to work ur self back to health. But I don't want to ask for anymore problems than I already have.