Home tests for sleep apnea

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
CanadianNB
Contributor
Contributor

Home tests for sleep apnea

Post by CanadianNB »

Greetings! I have looked for this information on the wiki and the forum, but wasn't able to find an answer. I am making a list of all the ReCODE protocol tests for my husband, along with where to get them. One of the tests recommended is for sleep apnea. My husband was diagnosed with sleep apnea at an outpatient sleep center a few years ago, before he lost significant weight. According to Dr. Bredesen's book, there are at home tests for sleep apnea, but he doesn't name any. Can anyone share what tests they may have used at home? Thank you!
Here for my husband (65 yrs) and my daughter (14 yrs). Both are AOPE 3/4 and MTHFR T/T. My daughter is insulin resistant and my husband is Type 2 diabetic for 25 yrs. We are working on reversing this with keto diet and IF. I'm Canadian but live in the US.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Home tests for sleep apnea

Post by slacker »

CanadianNB wrote:My husband was diagnosed with sleep apnea at an outpatient sleep center a few years ago, before he lost significant weight. According to Dr. Bredesen's book, there are at home tests for sleep apnea, but he doesn't name any. Can anyone share what tests they may have used at home?
I don't know how things work in Canada's medical system, but in the US, a licensed medical provider can order a home sleep apnea test through a licensed medical equipment company. The testing equipment is delivered by another agency, with results reported to the ordering provider. The equipment is similar to that used at an outpatient sleep center, but there isn't anyone watching the results overnight and slapping on a sleep apnea machine, titrating air pressure, or trying different masks if results are showing sleep apnea. On the positive side, the person getting tested gets to sleep in their own bed.

You'll probably have to go through your PCP/GP to get the test ordered. Did your husband have symptoms of sleep apnea when he was originally diagnosed? Snoring, day time drowsiness? If so, are these still present?
Slacker
E4/E4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

slacker wrote:
CanadianNB wrote:My husband was diagnosed with sleep apnea at an outpatient sleep center a few years ago, before he lost significant weight. According to Dr. Bredesen's book, there are at home tests for sleep apnea, but he doesn't name any. Can anyone share what tests they may have used at home?
I don't know how things work in Canada's medical system, but in the US, a licensed medical provider can order a home sleep apnea test through a licensed medical equipment company....
Good news for CanadianNB, Slacker, since she mentioned in an earlier post that she's a transplanted Canadian now living in Virginia!

Hope the home option makes your search easier, CanadianNB. I do know that northern Virginia at least has some medical practices who refer suspected sleep apnea patients to local sleep study centers.
4/4 and still an optimist!
CanadianNB
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CanadianNB »

slacker wrote:You'll probably have to go through your PCP/GP to get the test ordered. Did your husband have symptoms of sleep apnea when he was originally diagnosed? Snoring, day time drowsiness? If so, are these still present?
My husband was a very loud snorer when he was originally diagnosed. He has gotten better with that, since now if I have earplugs I can sleep in the same room! He says he feels more rested now as well. But he could definitely sleep better. It's high on the list of things to work on.

Thank you for explaining he can get a home sleep apnea test ordered from his doctor!
Here for my husband (65 yrs) and my daughter (14 yrs). Both are AOPE 3/4 and MTHFR T/T. My daughter is insulin resistant and my husband is Type 2 diabetic for 25 yrs. We are working on reversing this with keto diet and IF. I'm Canadian but live in the US.
CanadianNB
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CanadianNB »

NF52 wrote: Good news for CanadianNB, Slacker, since she mentioned in an earlier post that she's a transplanted Canadian now living in Virginia!

Hope the home option makes your search easier, CanadianNB. I do know that northern Virginia at least has some medical practices who refer suspected sleep apnea patients to local sleep study centers.
Thank you, NF52! I just changed my signature to explain I'm a proud Canadian who lives in the U.S. :-) And we actually live in Northern Virginia, so I look forward to talking with our doctor about the sleep study options.
Daymoo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Daymoo »

I have this question, too—but specifically for central sleep apnea. Does anyone know if the home test also covers this type?
Existence/is neither/a right nor//privilege/nor any//thing but
a/miracle. -Cid Corman