Just got my results - having a hard time with them

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
ISEbaby85
Contributor
Contributor

Just got my results - having a hard time with them

Post by ISEbaby85 »

I am 33 years old turning 34 this month. No family history of AD and the two people who had dementia that I know of were great grandparents well into their 90s. Learned from 23andme that I have the e3/e4 variants. Which makes me a high risk of developing AD. I have high anxiety as is and this just added to it. What can I start to do to be proactive and preventative. I have a problem of delving down the google rabbit hole. Just had a baby last July and all I can think about is that I passed this down to her too.
Jtmon
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Just got my results - having a hard time with them

Post by Jtmon »

Believe me, as a dedicated lifetime hypochondriac, I understand your anxiety.

You are lucky in that you know your risk factors now, when you are young. Your family history works in your favor. Look around the boards here - there is a lot you can do at your age. While there is no magic pill, you still have a lot of control over the fate of your brain.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

ISEbaby85 wrote: Learned from 23andme that I have the e3/e4 variants. Which makes me a high risk of developing AD.
I would beg to differ. Being a 3/4 puts you at higher risk, not high risk. Age is the biggest factor on who gets AD, ApoE4 is another, lessor risk factor. Life style choices are likely a larger factor than ApoE4 if you start early.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

ISEbaby85 wrote:Learned from 23andme that I have the e3/e4 variants. Which makes me a high risk of developing AD. I have high anxiety as is and this just added to it. What can I start to do to be proactive and preventative.
Those of us who have been reading/posting on these forums for many years now used to have a common saying, "Genetics are not destiny."

I've often advised folks such as you that genes are only the hardware, it's diet/lifestyle (epigenetics) that is the software that determines what the hardware does. I cannot stress this enough, our lifestyle can have MAJOR influence over our health status. I believe that the reason why holding an ε4 is such a high risk NOW in modern times, when it wasn't before, is because our gene is not well suited to today's "accepted" modern lifestyle/dietary practices. I try to live/eat more like how my ancestors did - diet, sun exposure, sleep, exercise, stress, etc. Am I perfect? Heck no! But I do the best I can.

I'm a much older than you 4/4 and not stressed because of what I've learned about the unique issues associated with my allele status and increased my knowledge of the general causes of health concerns/reduced longevity. I have taken control of my lifestyle habits and diet, so I feel empowered not powerless. I recognize I am not bulletproof, Alzheimer's may come knocking at my door some day, but I know my fate lies with me, not with my genes, and AT WORSE, I've kicked the can down the road. I envy you at your age at being able to doubly influence your future health status.

You asked what you can do to start to be proactive and preventative, well first you've come to the right place, i.e. this website. The first place we direct folks is our PRIMER: An introduction to ApoE4, biochemistry, and possible prevention strategies. It's full of good introductory information.

We also have a wiki - https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Main_Page, (there's a link at the top of your page, if you're on a computer) including this page, "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website. We've discussed many subjects these past few years, so you use the search function (discussed in section 5 of the "How to..." wiki) if there's something in particular you are looking for. Also, you can always ask questions here in our forums.

This ApoE4.info web site is full of information, it can be overwhelming. I know I lurked for about a year before I had the courage for my first post. Don't feel bad about feeling overwhelmed, keep plugging, it will start to fit together eventually. One more possible recommendation is Dr Dale Bredesen's book, "The End of Alzheimer's" it's not written for ApoE4s, but there's lots of overlap/applicability.

One last thing, I know it's much easier to say "don't be so anxious" than it is to actually destress/reduce anxiety, but that is one of the lifestyle strategies I'd recommend you pursue. When you have time after reading about all the fundamentals, take a gander at our wikion Stress
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4