advanced glycation end products

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
donbob
Contributor
Contributor

Re: advanced glycation end products

Post by donbob »

circular wrote:
donbob wrote:
circular wrote: Donbob what are some of your favorite recipes and tricks?
Highly marbled roasts 48 hours at 135F are my favorite. I reserve the juice for sauce. Chuck roast is very inexpensive and really flavorful. For holidays or large gatherings, I have a medium-large cooler with a modified lid that has a hole for the circulator. This is good for long racks of ribs or large quantity of meat.
Thanks! Do you add anything to it going into the sous vide bath? Brine beforehand? A roast would be too big for me, but I think I'll try one and share with friends. I need a bigger bath. I've been using my Instant Pot liner but I only have two things in there at a time.
We only season after the cook. Many different taste preferences to accommodate.
DonBob
e3e4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

CarrieS wrote:
donbob wrote:As far as low temperature cooking, look into 'sous vide'. I use it often. In fact, my sous vide has been running at 135F for the last five days. The food has been changed and consumed/frozen, but something has been cooking continuously. It produces very tender protein given the proper time.
I bought a sous vide last month and have to say that the food is crazy good. I bought it to help me incubate some ferments (tempeh and natto) but have used it for meats too. Tender and lovely. Yum! It's simple and forgiving. The only thing I don't like is that the meat is submerged in a plastic bag but I haven't had time to research alternatives yet. Have you found alternatives to plastic bags Donbob?
Today I came across a pure silicone product line called Stasher. Bed, Bath and Beyond sells their bags but there may be more variety online? I saw them in the BBB circular that always comes with a coupon.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

donbob wrote:
circular wrote: Donbob what are some of your favorite recipes and tricks?
Highly marbled roasts 48 hours at 135F are my favorite. I reserve the juice for sauce. Chuck roast is very inexpensive and really flavorful. For holidays or large gatherings, I have a medium-large cooler with a modified lid that has a hole for the circulator. This is good for long racks of ribs or large quantity of meat.
Hey donbob, can you help? I have two "lamb leg steaks" I wanted to cook sous vide. I can't find any decent instructions online. One recipe for the steak cut said something like 24-48 hours (sounds more like for the whole leg of lamb although they said steak), while another said 2 (that sounds more like it)! I'm sure thickness makes a difference. These are about 1-1/2" at their thickest. Do you have a guesstimate what temp and time to use?

Alternatively I thought I would pressure cook them, but no good guidance for the steak cut for that either. I've never bought any lamb but chops or ground, and seldom those. I'm really not a cook at all ;)
donbob
Contributor
Contributor

Post by donbob »

Perhaps for medium rare 140F. I did a ‘Butterflied’(sic) Lamb Leg, 1” thick, 3.2 pounds on Aug 22, 2018. Three hour cook. Unfortunately, I didn’t record the results. A college professor has great information on line at douglasbaldwin.com. Chose the free web info(labeled 40 pages). Use the tables for beef to find the info on thickness, time, temp and such. Not much info on lamb. Good luck..
DonBob
e3e4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

donbob wrote:Perhaps for medium rare 140F. I did a ‘Butterflied’(sic) Lamb Leg, 1” thick, 3.2 pounds on Aug 22, 2018. Three hour cook. Unfortunately, I didn’t record the results. A college professor has great information on line at douglasbaldwin.com. Chose the free web info(labeled 40 pages). Use the tables for beef to find the info on thickness, time, temp and such. Not much info on lamb. Good luck..
TY! I will give it a go!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

donbob wrote:Perhaps for medium rare 140F. I did a ‘Butterflied’(sic) Lamb Leg, 1” thick, 3.2 pounds on Aug 22, 2018. Three hour cook. Unfortunately, I didn’t record the results. A college professor has great information on line at douglasbaldwin.com. Chose the free web info(labeled 40 pages). Use the tables for beef to find the info on thickness, time, temp and such. Not much info on lamb. Good luck..
It sounds like you don't need much new inspiration, but just in case you find anything helpful, the Bulletproof site has some ideas.

I cooked scallops the other day that were amazing. Added a little olive oil and zatar seasoning before and gave them a light sear. I usually avoid searing but couldn't resist that time.