ApoE3/E3 ok?

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
mzenzer
New User
New User

ApoE3/E3 ok?

Post by mzenzer »

In terms of risk am I considered ok? For some reason I had thought I was an E3/E4 at the very least but didn't confirm anything until I ran my 23andme data through Rhonda Patrick's site, see attached file. My main concern has been that I've been on a keto diet and was concerned about saturated fat and atherosclerosis. Sorry if my question isn't specific enough I'm new to the Apoe stuff and just wanting too know if I can move on with my life (and diet) without having to consider Apoe as far as a risk factor goes. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: ApoE3/E3 ok?

Post by NF52 »

mzenzer wrote:In terms of risk am I considered ok? For some reason I had thought I was an E3/E4 at the very least but didn't confirm anything until I ran my 23andme data through Rhonda Patrick's site, see attached file. My main concern has been that I've been on a keto diet and was concerned about saturated fat and atherosclerosis. Sorry if my question isn't specific enough I'm new to the Apoe stuff and just wanting too know if I can move on with my life (and diet) without having to consider Apoe as far as a risk factor goes. Thanks.
Welcome,mzenzer,
Don't ever worry about asking a question, specific or not! This forum is filled with people who have been where you are and who have decided that they love to search out answers for themselves and others. So here's the good news: Your results show you are indeed ApoE 3/3, which is what about 50% of people of European descent have also (my husband among them). Check this link: Your genes are in the third row and you inherited the ApoE 3 version from both parents! snpedia:ApoE chart

It's also good news that whether you're on a keto diet or just a good Mediterranean style diet, being careful of the difference between "healthy fats" and saturated fats (at least on the eyes of some doctors) is a good heart-healthy practice.
Of course, people with ApoE 3/3 can also develop Alzheimer's or vascular dementia (more related to heart health) or frontal lobe dementia or Lewy Body dementia. I don't mention that to lessen your relief, but to note that Alzheimer's is also a disease of advanced aging, so that people with ApoE 3/3, like my mother-in-law, tend to get diagnosed in their 80's. It's still a good idea to exercise, get enough sleep, avoid heavy drinking, enjoy lots of stimulating activities, watch your weight, blood pressure and glucose. But you can enjoy that you have only about a 10-15% chance of being diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment or dementia by the age of 85.

So enjoy all those years and "move on with your life".
4/4 and still an optimist!