using mct to achieve mild ketosis

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
robinson468
Contributor
Contributor

using mct to achieve mild ketosis

Post by robinson468 »

I tried searching but came up empty.

The Bredesen book talks about using MCT to help achieve mild ketosis and then backing off the MCT. But I can't find any specifics as to how to do this. How much MCT? When do I take it? (when breaking a fast or later in the day?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :-)
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: using mct to achieve mild ketosis

Post by Tincup »

robinson468 wrote: The Bredesen book talks about using MCT to help achieve mild ketosis and then backing off the MCT. But I can't find any specifics as to how to do this. How much MCT? When do I take it? (when breaking a fast or later in the day?)
Welcome!

MCT can cause bowel issues, so start small, maybe one tablespoon and work up. Mostly can be used like "training wheels" during a fast. Caprylic acid, the C8 part of MCT provides the most ketones (beta hydroxybuterate). Even though it is more expensive, you'll get more "bang for your buck." One product is Dave Asprey's "Bulletproof Brain Octane." Plain MCT also contains C10 & C12, which don't create ketones.

Once you are making your own ketones, you don't need an exogenous substance to create them.
Tincup
E3,E4
emmabarton
Contributor
Contributor

Post by emmabarton »

robinson468 wrote:I tried searching but came up empty.

The Bredesen book talks about using MCT to help achieve mild ketosis and then backing off the MCT. But I can't find any specifics as to how to do this. How much MCT? When do I take it? (when breaking a fast or later in the day?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :-)
Hi there-- Thanks for reaching out and welcome! I'm not sure if you had a chance to peruse the Wiki page of the APOE4.info site, but it offers a lot of specific information on MCT, ketosis, etc. Here's the page specifically for ketosis and ApoE4. and this one specifically on Coconut oil, MCT oil and other Ketone/Cognition Boosters (salts, esters) which also might help.

Please feel free to check back if you have additional questions navigating the site for information. On a personal level, I use Brain Octane in my morning smoothie-- and Tincup is right, a little is all you need in the beginning (I started with a teaspoon and worked my way up)-- unfortunately I learned that the hard way: if you take too much you'll get an urgent message from your bowel :shock:

Again, thanks for getting in touch-- and good luck with your continued exploration.

Light and peace,
Emma
healing happens in relationship
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Some resources, if you haven't stumbled upon them yet. A primer, written by a GP. How to get the most out of the site, wiki. and the wiki in general. Lastly the search function.
Tincup
E3,E4
robinson468
Contributor
Contributor

Post by robinson468 »

Thanks all for the info. There's so much to digest at this site, it's a bit overwhelming!

I started the diet and fasting last week and hope to keep adding things from the protocol as I get the time and money. I really appreciate this website as a resource!
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

robinson468 wrote: But I can't find any specifics as to how to do this. How much MCT? When do I take it? (when breaking a fast or later in the day?))
You might want to read the wiki article Coconut Oil, MCT oil, and other Ketone/Cognition Boosters (salts, esters) as recommended above. Regarding MCT oil it says, "Consumption should start low and slow, one teaspoon at first, building up the dosage over time. If too much, too fast, the liver may not be able to process the fat and will dump some of it back to the intestines, where it can cause stomach upset and loose stools." It also has some other issues/cautions about MCT oil, including the possibility of having trouble sleeping, so I'd take it in the morning.

Good luck to you, wishing you the best.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4