New and confused

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Dee-Nice1967
Contributor
Contributor

New and confused

Post by Dee-Nice1967 »

Hi,

I found out like many that I Have the AOE4, 1 copy like many of you from 23 and Me. I lost my mom in February 2018 from sepsis, but she was pretty much in the late stages of ALZ, She was a only a mere 85 lbs when she passed at 5'1" and always controlled her type 2 diabetes until her 70's with diet and exercise by walking and watching her carbs. I honestly think her nutrition was really mis-guided and wish we would have understood more. Her carbs were too high and she was very much a sugar burner. The only way I've been able to keep my weight down was through long distance running in my 40's and now in my early 50's I am heavy again. My Hba1c's have been in the mid 5's over the past 8 years but trying to lose has. been difficult with menopause. last summer I was keto adated, stopped drinking for 41 days and started fasting for long periods, but it was very disruptive for my life. Any suggestions to get into ketosis and fasting so it's not so hard to maintain. Currently I don;t eat breakfast other than coffee and either Ghee, MCt, and HWC. Most days I also skip lunch.
AKA
Support Team
Support Team

Re: New and confused

Post by AKA »

Dee-Nice1967 wrote:Hi,

I found out like many that I Have the AOE4, 1 copy like many of you from 23 and Me. I lost my mom in February 2018 from sepsis, but she was pretty much in the late stages of ALZ, She was a only a mere 85 lbs when she passed at 5'1" and always controlled her type 2 diabetes until her 70's with diet and exercise by walking and watching her carbs. I honestly think her nutrition was really mis-guided and wish we would have understood more. Her carbs were too high and she was very much a sugar burner. The only way I've been able to keep my weight down was through long distance running in my 40's and now in my early 50's I am heavy again. My Hba1c's have been in the mid 5's over the past 8 years but trying to lose has. been difficult with menopause. last summer I was keto adated, stopped drinking for 41 days and started fasting for long periods, but it was very disruptive for my life. Any suggestions to get into ketosis and fasting so it's not so hard to maintain. Currently I don;t eat breakfast other than coffee and either Ghee, MCt, and HWC. Most days I also skip lunch.
Hello Dee-Nice167,
Welcome to the Apoe4 forum, we are glad that you found us!
I am sorry for the loss of your mom. The heartbreak of losing someone dear to AD is felt by many of us here and although recent research is bringing an era of hope for us, sadly it has not come soon enough for our loved ones.
It sounds like you are very proactive with your health and have had a great deal of success with managing BS and more. There are different ways that folks get into keto and fast, different things work for each of us. Here is a linkto one conversation on the topic in the forum. If you want to search for more, here is a link on how to do that from the wiki page.
For me, I have used Dr. Bredesen's Ketoflex 12/3 diet and also tried the Prolon Fasting Mimicking Diet to get a jump start. (although, I don't think I'd use Prolon again!) It's been challenging at times to maintain keto, especially when I get busy with work travel. Setting up routines around movement and meals has been a big help. I am sure others will chime in on what has worked for them. I am curious about how you have fasted and what you did to become keto adapted in the past?
I look forward to learning new options with you!
Again welcome and keep at it!
Andrea