Any other young people? does anyone know the statistics for 3/4 Bit overwhelmed and freaked out

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
ShannonHasHope
New User
New User

Any other young people? does anyone know the statistics for 3/4 Bit overwhelmed and freaked out

Post by ShannonHasHope »

:?
So I decided to impulsively run my raw DNA into Promethase this weekend and I was flagged for being heterozygous 3/4
I just turned 24 last month.
I don't have a strong family history, (great-grandmother had AD, however). I have three living grandparents still (one died of an aneurysm at 70) and the other three do not appear to have AD (one grandma has chemo brain) but the other two do not and one has actually exceptional memory.
I also seem to have genes for fatty liver, diabetes, among other things as well as MTHFR (homozygous)
I will not lie my heart dropped when I read the statistics for it, and I am trying not to think about it all the time but I find myself thinking I'll take anything BUT losing my memory.
Slowly it has gotten better day by day, but still weighs heavily on me.

Though the silver lining of this is I realized I need to cut down my sugar, carbs, and processed food consumption as well as increase exercise and supplements. given my liver enzymes are already going up and have a bunch of other health issues (ironically most are genetic if not all).

I hope and pray by the time I am in my 60s, that more progress will be made on our gene.

I am so thankful I'm not alone in figuring this out.
3/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Any other young people? does anyone know the statistics for 3/4 Bit overwhelmed and freaked out

Post by Tincup »

ShannonHasHope wrote::?
Though the silver lining of this is I realized I need to cut down my sugar, carbs, and processed food consumption as well as increase exercise and supplements. given my liver enzymes are already going up and have a bunch of other health issues (ironically most are genetic if not all).

I hope and pray by the time I am in my 60s, that more progress will be made on our gene.
Welcome Shannon!

First, you have a long time before this should be a big issue in your life. If you use the knowledge to be as healthy as you can, then that is a good thing. That may help you avoid other health pitfalls along the way. There are people in my family who've had a poor lifestyle and ended up with health consequences such that getting to the age where ApoE4 makes a significant difference would be a huge win.

My advice would be to not worry about it, but act on doing the things you've identified already. My 4/4 wife's brother just ended up in the ICU with COVID. We have no idea about his E4 status, though there is a probability he has at least one. However he has comorbidities - obesity, T2 diabetes and congestive heart failure that all have hyperinsulinemia from lifestyle as a root cause. Point being the poor lifestyle is what has him in trouble, not whether he has an E4 allele or not. If you haven't run in to it yet, suggest reading our Primer. It was written by a doc here. When she learned of her 4/4 status, she expressed this to a son who said, "well mom, that just means you have to live as healthy as you can, just like everyone should." Or something to that effect - I haven't read the quote in a while.
Tincup
E3,E4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Any other young people? does anyone know the statistics for 3/4 Bit overwhelmed and freaked out

Post by NF52 »

So I decided to impulsively run my raw DNA into Promethase this weekend and I was flagged for being heterozygous 3/4
I just turned 24 last month...I will not lie my heart dropped when I read the statistics for it, and I am trying not to think about it all the time but I find myself thinking I'll take anything BUT losing my memory.
Slowly it has gotten better day by day, but still weighs heavily on me.

Welcome and a hug from a 68 year old with two copies of ApoE4 who, like Tincup who also welcomed you, can say "I'm in my 60's and amazing progress is being made!" We are not outliers; we have an APOE 4/4 member in her 80's who can say that, another in his late 70's and MANY I know in their 60's who are engaged in exciting new pursuits.

Think about this: About 20-25% of people you meet also carry one copy of ApoE4, including, people now the age of your grandparent with an exceptional memory who may have the same genes as you do. Your family may use the term "Alzheimer's" as a kind of shorthand for what your great-grandmother had when she died. But if she was like most people in late old age when she died, it was much more likely a combination of vascular dementia caused by long-standing heart disease with some of the amyloid plaques and tau tangles of Alzheimer's. We now can delay and prevent most heart disease through diet and exercise and, for those with signs of heart disease, great cardiac care and monitoring. (My dad died of cardiac arrest when he was 67; my three siblings and I are that age and older and NONE of us has cardiac problems--or memory problems.)

On the amyloid and tau front, the FDA is probably within a year of approving the first of what may be many drugs to remove toxic amyloid from those whose brains cannot clear it, and are learning rapidly how to support the health of neurons.

Just this week researchers published results from a "meta-analysis" of hundreds of studies that support the same strategies that Tincup recommended checking out from the Primer. Our genes are amazingly intricate, yet they don't determine our future! Don't throw out everything you do at once--even Dr. Stavia, the author of the Primer, gives herself permission to have her favorite pastries once in a while.)

Most importantly, Shannon, keep that hope!! The fear and dread you're feeling is normal; it's actually our brain's way of saying "wait, there might be danger far ahead!" Once we can use the "executive" part of our brain (the frontal lobe that does planning, organizing, evaluating, reflecting, goal-setting) to think about what is important to us (for me it's reading and learning, for Tincup it's sometimes mountain climbing for hours at a time) , then our ramped-up amygdala will calm down and say, as you are already saying "I'm hopeful and this is a silver lining. I'm taking charge of my future; what happened to my ancestors is not my future."

You're never alone, Shannon. Reach out whenever you want.
4/4 and still an optimist!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

ShannonHasHope wrote:does anyone know the statistics for 3/4.
Julie posted a paper in Dec 2014. Now this is on heart disease, but shows the power of changing your lifestyle.

Compare the Met Syn (-) & (+) groups! An order of magnitude difference! BTW, I'm 65 and doing very well! My 4/4 wife and I are patients of Dr. Steven Gundry and have posted redacted labs as well as transcripts of 9 hour long consults here.

Table 5 Logistic Regression of CVD and Allele 4 Association in MetS (+) and MetS (-) patients adjusted or age, sex, smoking, DM, Col, HDL-C and LDL-C

Tincup
E3,E4
AKA
Support Team
Support Team

Post by AKA »

I just turned 24 last month. .....

Hello ShannonHasHope and Welcome to the Apoe4 site!

We are glad you found us and thank you for sharing your story. I can't add much more to what Tincup and NF52 have already shared, just want to say that thankfully things are changing rapidly in the area of brain health. As you will find from many in this community, the strategies do make a difference and you certainly have time on your side! :D

I'd like to point out another section on the site while you are looking around. The "How-to" Get the most out of the Apoe4 website is a user-friendly guide to make it a bit easier to navigate around the site.

Again, a Warm Welcome, ShannonHasHope!
You are not alone!
Andrea
Apoe4 Intern