APoe4 homozygous and ketones

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Ness
Contributor
Contributor

APoe4 homozygous and ketones

Post by Ness »

Hello I'm new to this forum ! Great to have support here :) I am 35 and have two copies of APOE4 and tried to lower my thyroid antibodies ( diagnosed hashimotots since 2010) with a 3 day fast finishing yesterday( I exercised through also) I usually do intermittent fasting (16:8) because I also realize the fasting is good for starving off Alzheimers potentially.
Interesting though I measured my blood ketones yesterday after 72 hours of not eating and my ketones had only reached a level of 1.0. Is there a reason why we should make lower levels of ketones? I actually took MCT a couple of times but then read that they're pretty inflammatory to us and perhaps don't convert them? Is that right? I was wondering if anyone knew of any other ways to raise ketones? ( I also eat a low carb diet and exercise alot). Or perhaps raising ketones is not the answer?

Thanks!

Ness
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: APoe4 homozygous and ketones

Post by Tincup »

Ness wrote:Hello I'm new to this forum ! Great to have support here :) I am 35 and have two copies of APOE4 and tried to lower my thyroid antibodies ( diagnosed hashimotots since 2010) with a 3 day fast finishing yesterday( I exercised through also) I usually do intermittent fasting (16:8) because I also realize the fasting is good for starving off Alzheimers potentially.
Interesting though I measured my blood ketones yesterday after 72 hours of not eating and my ketones had only reached a level of 1.0. Is there a reason why we should make lower levels of ketones? I actually took MCT a couple of times but then read that they're pretty inflammatory to us and perhaps don't convert them? Is that right? I was wondering if anyone knew of any other ways to raise ketones? ( I also eat a low carb diet and exercise alot). Or perhaps raising ketones is not the answer?
Hi Ness, welcome!

Serum ketones (BHB, beta hydroxybutyrate) are the storage form of ketones. It represents the difference between production and use. You may use BHB well, so consumption may be high & therefore storage lower. Acetone, a byproduct of acetoacetate, can be a better indication of real time production. My older Ketonix meter also will sense methane. As I eat a lot of resistant starch, my gut bugs make a lot of methane, so my Ketonix readings are not particularly useful, unless I'm water fasting. Julie G recently tested a Biosense meter and in the post after this one, I report a response from the Biosense people that their meter does not sense methane.

I'm sure there is also biological individuality as to how much BHB is produced.

What kind of readings do you get on a normal day, say on a morning test, or after exercise?

By the way, my 4/4 wife can run her BHB ketones way north of 7.0, so it is not a 4/4 thing. As a 3/4, I've run mine over 8.0 (max on my meter).
Tincup
E3,E4
Ness
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ness »

Hey Tim Cup oh wow thanks. Think I'm goign to have to read that a few times to digest properly. Hmm I know I'm a very good day burner but thats different isn't it. I'm not sure about ketones on a normal day because haven't measured before. Have juts ordered some more sticks to check..
I used be a pro triathlete and used to train on almost nothing and burn a high proportion of fat to carbs to quite a high speed. Do you think this will mean my body is using them well. Annoying I sold our keto breath thingy because I thought they were unreliable, dam. What about the wee sticks. Are they at all reliable?
Thanks so much!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Ness wrote:. What about the wee sticks. Are they at all reliable?
Urine sticks don't give great results. For one, only the excess goes into your urine, so if you use ketones well, you'll have little excess. They can be useful when someone initially adapts to ketones, but after the body gets better at using them, the excess gets smaller. That being said, when I'm in deep ketosis on an extended water fast, blood, urine & breath all give a strong signal.
Tincup
E3,E4
summer0088
Contributor
Contributor

Post by summer0088 »

Ness wrote:Hello I'm new to this forum ! Great to have support here :) I am 35 and have two copies of APOE4 and tried to lower my thyroid antibodies ( diagnosed hashimotots since 2010) with a 3 day fast finishing yesterday( I exercised through also) I usually do intermittent fasting (16:8) because I also realize the fasting is good for starving off Alzheimers potentially.

Thanks!

Ness
Hi Ness! Welcome to the forum!

Your post poses several great questions that I don't know the answer to myself, but I see one of our most knowledgeable members has already given lots of good information :-) I'll be following this post too as I'm interested in the same topic.

As someone new here, if you haven't already explored the forum, here are some areas that you may find helpful. The "How-to" guide in the wiki link is great and helps to get the most out of the Apoe4 website. You may also want to view the Primer, written by one of our physician members and is a great introduction. Also, feel free to introduce yourself to the community in the Our Stories section.

So happy to have you here, Ness!
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Ness wrote:Think I'm goign to have to read that a few times to digest properly.
Sounds like maybe you're new to ketosis. You might also want to read our wiki Ketosis and Ketogenic Diet
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Ness
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ness »

Ah wow thanks everyone, much more clear..!