Exposure to galvanized metal fumes while welding

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
AndyP
Contributor
Contributor

Exposure to galvanized metal fumes while welding

Post by AndyP »

Hi, I had a question about something. A couple months ago I was doing some welding and the metal had a galvanized coating on it. I didn't know that this is dangerous. I guess galvanized metal releases a zinc gas when heated/welded. My mouth tasted like metal for a few weeks and I had a sore throat. I asked on a welding forum and everyone seemed to agree I had what is called "metal fume fever."

Anyways, I haven't felt as mentally sharp since that happened. I'm an APOE4 double positive. I'm 41. I guess I was wondering if there is any kind of test I can do regarding the zinc exposure.

I went to the ER about a week after the welding and they performed the following tests: CBC with differential, Comprehensive Metabolic Panel, Magnesium, GFR, and COVID-19. Everything came back normal.

Can anyone think of anything else I could do? Blood tests or MRI?

Thanks
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Exposure to galvanized metal fumes while welding

Post by Tincup »

Hi Andy,

If there is a zinc issue, you could test serum zinc. Dr. Bredesen wants a zinc/copper ratio around 1 (serum zinc / serum copper). Bredesen's books are linked in this post.

If there is a zinc issue, maybe sauna use to sweat it out?

This paper did not find an association Cognitive Symptoms and Welding Fume Exposure. Of course that doesn't mean it is not an issue, especially as a 4/4.
Tincup
E3,E4
birdie18
Contributor
Contributor

Post by birdie18 »

AndyP wrote:Hi, I had a question about something. A couple months ago I was doing some welding and the metal had a galvanized coating on it. I didn't know that this is dangerous. I guess galvanized metal releases a zinc gas when heated/welded. My mouth tasted like metal for a few weeks and I had a sore throat. I asked on a welding forum and everyone seemed to agree I had what is called "metal fume fever."

Anyways, I haven't felt as mentally sharp since that happened. I'm an APOE4 double positive. I'm 41. I guess I was wondering if there is any kind of test I can do regarding the zinc exposure.

I went to the ER about a week after the welding and they performed the following tests: CBC with differential, Comprehensive Metabolic Panel, Magnesium, GFR, and COVID-19. Everything came back normal.

Can anyone think of anything else I could do? Blood tests or MRI?

Thanks
Hi AndyP, I'd like to welcome you to the apoE4.info forum. It is a valuable resource for many of the unique health challenges faced by those of us with APOE4 genes.

More specifically, to your experience of slow recovery from 'presumed metal fume fever' post welding exposure to heated galvanized metal, you have a bit of detective work ahead of you. The good news is that your lab tests are normal. Good too, that you are listening to your body/mind. You will find answers!

Reviewing expert descriptions of metal fume fever, it's typically an isolated event that is quickly resolved. The fact that you have lingering symptoms, make me wonder if you triggered an underlying problem that has a longer history than the recent zinc oxide gas exposure. I will share the welding resources that I found useful, if you like.

By the age of 40, our normal repair systems are slowing and often, not working optimally. Possibly, your organs of elimination were overwhelmed by the toxic exposure. Possibly, an inflammatory response was triggered in the brain. A medical expert who looks at the whole person will ask a lot of questions, looking for clues, before choosing the next best lab test. This is a good time of life to connect with such experts. Resolving symptoms before they become raging fires is a key to good health. You are aiming to prevent your genes from becoming your destiny. Choosing a practitioner guide.

You will find a wealth of ApoE4 information here, in our wiki. Guidelines for using this site will make it easy for others to see and respond to you. Welcome!
birdie18
APOE4.info Intern2020
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Naturopathic Physician
tweet: vis medicatrix naturae
AndyP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AndyP »

Thanks for the replies. I guess the best I can do is try to eat healthy and stop using the welder. The project I was working on could have been done by just bolting things together.

I read the Bredsen book about a year ago, and I also have the ebook that I read sometimes to refresh things. I've been trying to eat more healthily and to fast for about 12-14 hours overnight. I just had my A1C checked and it was 4.8. So I was pretty relieved about that.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

AndyP wrote:Thanks for the replies. I guess the best I can do is try to eat healthy and stop using the welder. The project I was working on could have been done by just bolting things together.

I read the Bredsen book about a year ago, and I also have the ebook that I read sometimes to refresh things. I've been trying to eat more healthily and to fast for about 12-14 hours overnight. I just had my A1C checked and it was 4.8. So I was pretty relieved about that.
Congratulations! That is a great A1c! Have your brain fog symptoms resolved?
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
AndyP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AndyP »

floramaria wrote:
AndyP wrote:Thanks for the replies. I guess the best I can do is try to eat healthy and stop using the welder. The project I was working on could have been done by just bolting things together.

Congratulations! That is a great A1c! Have your brain fog symptoms resolved?
Yea I think the brain fog has lessened a lot. I guess there's no way to measure if I'm completely back to normal. I recently bought a SkiErg and notice doing cardio really helps my cognition.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

AndyP wrote: Yea I think the brain fog has lessened a lot. I guess there's no way to measure if I'm completely back to normal. I recently bought a SkiErg and notice doing cardio really helps my cognition.
Hi AndyP, I am happy to learn that your cognition has improved. You must be very relieved about that! You are taking some good steps towards not only reversing the brain fog you had after the welding exposure, but also providing a good foundation for your long term cognitive health. Improving your diet, doing IF and engaging in cardio exercise are all important parts of Dr Bredesen’s recommendations. Keep it up! As a young 4/4, you can focus on prevention by continuing with those and also avoiding toxic exposure.
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health