Dreaming

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
PhilD
Contributor
Contributor

Dreaming

Post by PhilD »

Hi everyone. This is a great site . I learned about it from reading . The End of AD : Program . A new book from Dr Dale Bredesen. My wife was diagnosed with AD 5 years ago. I am doing everything I can to “save her” . One thing I have noticed is that she does not dream even though she sleeps well according to her Fitbit. Is that normal for people with AD?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Dreaming

Post by Tincup »

PhilD wrote: One thing I have noticed is that she does not dream even though she sleeps well according to her Fitbit. Is that normal for people with AD?
I don't know the answer, but wonder if she dreams and does not remember them?
Tincup
E3,E4
BloomAgain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BloomAgain »

PhilD wrote:Hi everyone. This is a great site . I learned about it from reading . The End of AD : Program . A new book from Dr Dale Bredesen. My wife was diagnosed with AD 5 years ago. I am doing everything I can to “save her” . One thing I have noticed is that she does not dream even though she sleeps well according to her Fitbit. Is that normal for people with AD?
Welcome to the apoe4.info site, PhilD!

We are glad you found us and hope you find the wealth of information and support of the community helpful. Congratulations on taking the initiative to seek-out ApoE4 information -- it shows the love you have for your wife and your perseverance in searching for solutions to slow or reverse her Alzheimer's.

I had not previously heard of reduced dreaming in Alzheimer's patients, so I did a PubMed search for you and found multiple sources that report a reduced REM (rapid eye movement) sleep stage in Alzheimer's patients. REM is the stage of sleep when dreaming occurs. If you enjoy scientific reports, this one may be of interest: "The initiation and maintenance of REM sleep depends upon cholinergic networks ... A deficit in the cholinergic system is one of the first and most marked biochemical changes in AD. A low percentage of REM sleep has been reported, which worsens with the progression of cognitive dysfunctions."

Since you are a new poster, I'd like to share a few links that will help you navigate this site.

How-To Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website was created to help new (and not so new) members navigate the site. This area explains how to use the quotes button so that the other member receives an email notification of your reply, how to search for topics, how to subscribe to topics of interest and more.

The PRIMER: An introduction to ApoE4, biochemistry, and possible prevention strategies is a fantastic resource, exploring areas such as the science behind the ApoE4 gene and the lifestyle factors that impact its expression.

Our Wiki Index offers a wealth of information, including the following links that you may find especially helpful since you are interested in Dr. Dale Bredesen's new book:
Bredesen Protocol
Searching for a Healthcare Practitioner
A List of ApoE4-Aware Healthcare Practitioners
A List of ApoE4-Aware Health Coaches

And, we would love to know more about you and what led you to our site, we invite you to share your journey by creating a new topic in Our Stories.

Again, welcome! We are here to assist you, so please feel free to continue to post any questions! :D
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Qualified ReCODE Practitioner/Health Coach (Bredesen Protocol)
PhilD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PhilD »

Thank you for taking time to respond. And thank also for all the links. It’s an incredible site ( apoe4.info) with a wealth of information. Incidentally my wife is an E3E4 . She has never smoked , has the occasional very small glass of red wine , rarely eats red meat, and does lots of exercise. Apart from AD she has high cholesterol and low blood pressure. She does not take any recommended drugs to reduce the symptoms of AD ( eg ARICEPT). She had MCI for 4 years and it’s only in the last year that she has been getting worse. No matter how hard she exercise she does not sweat. We are getting an far infrared sauna for Christmas.