Resistant Starch

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
wac
Contributor
Contributor

Resistant Starch

Post by wac »

Hi All

When utilising resistance starches for your carb source. I understand to activate this for things such as rice or sweet potato etc the food is heated then cooled.

If I am then eating the carb source at a later date, is it ok to re-heat the item or does the food need to remain cold for it to remain in a resistance starch state?
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Resistant Starch

Post by floramaria »

wac wrote:Hi All

When utilising resistance starches for your carb source. I understand to activate this for things such as rice or sweet potato etc the food is heated then cooled.

If I am then eating the carb source at a later date, is it ok to re-heat the item or does the food need to remain cold for it to remain in a resistance starch state?
From some source I can't recall, my impression has been that the food needs to remain cold. but my research had been about green banana flour. That's why I stopped making green banana flour pancakes. :roll: But green banana flour does not get it's resistant starch status from being cooked and cooled.
I just found this on John Hopkins website for diabetic patients:
"Try cooking rice, potatoes, beans, and pasta a day in advance and cool in the refrigerator overnight. It’s ok to reheat the starch before eating. Reheating doesn’t decrease the amount of resistant starch."
And I looked at several other sites and all of them said that reheating the food once it has been cooled doesn't change the resistant starch. This article on BBC News said it made the starch even more resistant. https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29629761
I'll be doing more research, since this would be great news for me. I can start reheating my cold potatoes!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health