It's difficult to find the perfect diet for APOE E2/E4

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
LibertyRebelCA
New User
New User

It's difficult to find the perfect diet for APOE E2/E4

Post by LibertyRebelCA »

Hello,
I've been lurking the forums for the past few weeks, reading the primer and the different posts along with various books, but I'm still not sure what would be an ideal diet plan. I've drilled down my APOE using Promthease and 23andMe and the verdict was E2/E4. This fueled my desire to fix my weight issues and arrest some memory problems I'm coming across now and then.

I uploaded my data to GeneFood which gave me a lot of info and a diet recommendation. And while the recommendation seemed sound regarding saturated fats (avoid them), I have no idea if it's correct or accurate because it also recommends whole grains and complex carbs (which affect my blood sugar as much as any potato) while simultaneously telling me to avoid white carbs: bread, rice, potatoes (a complex carb????)--a bit contradictory.

I'm 50, and about 40 pounds overweight, but I'm not type 2 diabetic--yet. My HDL has been low my entire life (25-40), and my triglycerides higher than normal (150-250). TC is usually under 200 and LDL around 100 and my A1C is usually under 5.5. I want to find and use a diet designed specifically for someone with APOE E2/E4.

If anyone has experience or expertise with APOE E2/E4 and an ideal food/diet plan I'd really like to hear from you.

Chris
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: It's difficult to find the perfect diet for APOE E2/E4

Post by Tincup »

LibertyRebelCA wrote: If anyone has experience or expertise with APOE E2/E4 and an ideal food/diet plan I'd really like to hear from you.
TreeHugger wrote:
Julie G wrote:
Hi Chris, welcome!. I'm pinging TreeHugger as I think they are 2/4 and have done a lot on this. Julie has a family member with a 2, so pinging her, too.

One of my friends is a 2/2 and another a 2/3. My knowledge of 2's is that hypertriglyceridemia can be an issue, hence a low carb diet is indicated (excess carbs generally lead to high trigs). However, the 4 part of the equation means that you may be sensitive to saturated fats (the 2/2 I know is a low carb doc and eats a lot of animal fat/protein). I know TreeHugger used an algae oil for fat, but the company quit producing, so not sure what TreeHugger is doing now. I have some of this issue and was also using the algae oil, but now use EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) sparingly. My 4/4 wife & I consult with Steven Gundry (transcripts here) and gallons of EVOO are his favorite food. Doesn't work for me because of the sat fat in the EVOO. Our animal protein comes from relatively low fat sources: eggs, white fish and shellfish (which Gundry indicates for us). We are mildly keto (0.5-1.0 mmol/L BHB on a morning finger stick). We typically fast at least 16 hours/day and periodically do extended fasting (finished a 5 day fast a week ago). Exercise is a part of my equation and do daily strength workouts with KAATSU BFR (blood flow restriction) bands at age 65.
Tincup
E3,E4
msdorney
Contributor
Contributor

Post by msdorney »

LibertyRebelCA wrote:Hello,
I've been lurking the forums for the past few weeks, reading the primer and the different posts along with various books, but I'm still not sure what would be an ideal diet plan. I've drilled down my APOE using Promthease and 23andMe and the verdict was E2/E4. This fueled my desire to fix my weight issues and arrest some memory problems I'm coming across now and then.

I uploaded my data to GeneFood which gave me a lot of info and a diet recommendation. And while the recommendation seemed sound regarding saturated fats (avoid them), I have no idea if it's correct or accurate because it also recommends whole grains and complex carbs (which affect my blood sugar as much as any potato) while simultaneously telling me to avoid white carbs: bread, rice, potatoes (a complex carb????)--a bit contradictory.

I'm 50, and about 40 pounds overweight, but I'm not type 2 diabetic--yet. My HDL has been low my entire life (25-40), and my triglycerides higher than normal (150-250). TC is usually under 200 and LDL around 100 and my A1C is usually under 5.5. I want to find and use a diet designed specifically for someone with APOE E2/E4.

If anyone has experience or expertise with APOE E2/E4 and an ideal food/diet plan I'd really like to hear from you.

Chris
Welcome to the APOE4.info community LibertyRebelCA! It sounds like you have already been finding your way through the resources on the site and Tincup has alerted some people who may have more useful information for you. I hope that you will find the information and community here helpful as you continue your journey. You noted that you have read the Primer. You may want to also look at the Wiki for this site. It has some great information on how to get the most out if this site, as well as on the current science. It may give you some more information about how to further optimize your diet. There is also an APOE4.info Facebook page that frequently posts interesting information about the latest studies. It is possible that some information will be posted there that may prove interesting to you. I have found that fasting 16 to 18 hours, regular exercise, good sleep habits and stress reduction also make a tremendous amount of difference with weight management. I wish you well.
LibertyRebelCA
New User
New User

Post by LibertyRebelCA »

Thanks
Jlhughette
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jlhughette »

Hi Chris, I am guardian for my sister, who is ApoE2/4, and was POA for my father, now deceased, with ApoE 2/4. I am APOE 3/4. For 3 years I had my sister on lots of olive oil, protein as condiment (mostly animal protein from local farms) and complex carbs. Both my sister, my Dad and me still had cholesterol too high. AIc slightly high. None of us overweight. I downloaded all of our genes into Genefood and to my surprise all of us were to avoid fat in the form of oil, keep fat levels low, have mostly complex carbs, and small amount of protein from plants and fish. We were ok with quinoa, and beans, even brown rice. I was VERY skeptical. But 3 months in my sister’s numbers and mine are near perfect. However, although my sister seemed perfectly able to adapt psychologically to the new diet (she has AD and Lewy Body Parkinson’s), 5 years in, I still find it a bit daunting, as does my husband, who doesn’t know his ApoE status but his Genefood report also points to him needing the same Genefood diet as my family! I find that rather shocking, as he’s been on high fat, high lamb and beef and fish with complex carbs for awhile too! So much switching!
Hughette
3/4
doodles
Contributor
Contributor

Post by doodles »

Hi. I am also e2/e4 and began doing intensive research this year, though I have been reading off and on for a few years. I just know it's TIME to get serious here.

I am taking OMEGA 3 with phospholipids recommended by Dr. Rhonda Patrick to get that omega 3 to my brain better. I have begun greatly lowering my saturated fat intake, as well as sugar. I am about to begin a supplement regime soon. I don't have high cholesterol (thanks to having T3 in my thyroid treatment), but need to get my triglycerides checked. I am eating more low glycemic, changing over bit by bit. I am going to be curious what other's have found as far as our diets.

So @Jlhughette, by your research, e2/e4/s need complex carbs, and only a small amount of protein from fish or plants?

I ail be starting in-home saunas this year. Have a LOT of tests I'll be doing based on Bredesen's protocol, but also from listening to audios from experts.

Sleep is challenging as every, single, dang night, I wake up at 4am give or take and have a terrible time falling back asleep. I just stay there until I do. But I know sleep is VERY important against plaque.