I'm desperate for answers..

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Mustafa_Salam
Contributor
Contributor

I'm desperate for answers..

Post by Mustafa_Salam »

Hey there just wanted to ask if there's any success with FTD individuals?

I struggle alot with it and I'm confused most of the time . I pretty much wake up everyday confused not knowing what to do next . So I sit down and scroll endlessly on Instagram all day and that's it.

I possess most of the symptoms and I'm 7 months into the protocol. I feel like I've reached a plateau after this time. Reversed my MoCa from 5 - 30 but I'm still hoping I could get my life back.
( Work , social life , etc)

Has anyone got to the other side yet that you can share with me ?

I do get suicidal thoughts most of the time and wonder if it's worth continuing.

Sorry for making this sound depressing but I really can't help it
roxanne
Contributor
Contributor

Re: I'm desperate for answers..

Post by roxanne »

[quote="Mustafa_Salam"]Hey there just wanted to ask if there's any success with FTD individuals?

Hi Mustafa Salam: Just wanted to reach out and welcome you. You came to the right place.
The most amazing thing is that you went from 5-30 on the MoCA That is an amazing accomplishment. You need to celebrate!!!

The second thing I would like to mention is that if you have suicidal thoughts you need to see a mental health professional as soon as possible. People that are depressed can exhibit symptoms of dementia due to their depression. Talking to someone can help you overcome the sadness you are feeling and give you hope for your future so you can continue with the Protocol.

Were you diagnosed with FTD? When were you diagnosed? Also please give the very smart people on this board some background as to your age, what your labs are, and if you have a support system that can help you navigate your journey towards health.

There are many things you can do, with support if necessary, to get you out from the darkness you are embedded in and emerge stronger than ever. Life is always worth living, especially when there's hope, and my friend, believe me, there's hope

I'm sure people on this forum will read your post and give you information on how to proceed with the Protocol. Also, someone that have overcome cognitive decline will answer your question.

Hang in there!!!

Roxanne
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Hello Mustafa, I have a friend who was told she had dementia and made a full recovery. She was 65 years old and had been in a skilled nursing facility for a leg injury. She became almost unable to speak and could not give me the name of her daughter who was next to her. I helped her family get her properly diagnosed. It wasn't really permanent dementia. She had become dehydrated while in the nursing facility. It cause her to be overdosed on heart and diabetes medications. We kept after the medical plan to keep her in the hospital until she recovered. She was greatly improved when she went home after eight months. By one year she was her normal self. You could see her progressing from almost not speaking to gradually becoming a bright normal person. Healing the body takes time. You have made excellent progress. You have gotten some good suggestions. I've gotten lots of help here too. I'm an e4/e4 and recently turned 84. Please keep in touch with us. Sending you a big virtual hug.
Starfish77
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Mustafa_Salam wrote:Hey there just wanted to ask if there's any success with FTD individuals?

I struggle alot with it and I'm confused most of the time . I pretty much wake up everyday confused not knowing what to do next . So I sit down and scroll endlessly on Instagram all day and that's it.

I possess most of the symptoms and I'm 7 months into the protocol. I feel like I've reached a plateau after this time. Reversed my MoCa from 5 - 30 but I'm still hoping I could get my life back.
( Work , social life , etc)
Mustafa,

My heart goes out to you, I am so sorry you are having to go through this.

I am not familiar with FTD and I have been fortunate that I follow lifestyle/dietary practices for overall health/prevention. But one thing I KNOW, even without cognitive deficits, I CAN’T DO IT ALONE.

Even though there’s “nothing wrong” with me, twice a year I get multiple blood tests and consult with my doctor of the Functional Medicine type. We go over my results and make course corrections as necessary. We have a couple resources on our wiki:

Searching for a Healthcare Practitioner

ApoE4-Aware Healthcare Practitioners

You saying that you “possess most of the symptoms” makes me wonder, have you been officially diagnosed? That can make a big difference. Sometimes appearances can be deceiving: mold can cause cognitive decline, potassium imbalance can cause mental confusion, Robin Williams was misdiagnosed only after he passed did they determine he had Lewy Body Dementia, and as Starfish mentioned her friend was dehydrated.

If you are REALLY following Dr Bredesen’s protocol, you know you NEED to identify the areas that need help (do you have insulin resistance, do you have inflammation, are your hormones balanced, etc).

Plus having a helper to nudge/remind you to do your daily exercise, or to keep on the diet, or to take you supplements, etc. is invaluable, ESPECIALLY with confusion and motivational issues (you sit down and scroll endlessly). Do you have someone? Have you thought of a health coach? We also have this from our wiki
ApoE4-Aware Health Coaches

Asking for help isn’t a sign of weakness, it’s a sign of strength and I sense you are very a strong person. Sending you best wishes.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Mustafa_Salam
Contributor
Contributor

This was really helpful ..

Post by Mustafa_Salam »

TheresaB : Yea I guess you're right . I just booked in an appointment with a practitioner who practices the protocol and thankfully 20 mins close by. It's difficult to do this alone . Thanks for the help

Starfish: Wow sounds like a miracle! Gives me some Hope thanks for sharing this with me !

Roxanne: yea just found a practitioner here in Ontario Canada . Thank you for the advice 🙏