Fasting Issues

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
JimH
Contributor
Contributor

Fasting Issues

Post by JimH »

Hi all,

Fasting has always been an issue for me. When I was a teacher for Detroit Integral Yoga Institute back in the 1970's I was able to do some fasting for a day or two. Now, I seem to go hypoglycemic when I try fasting. I get tired and my *brain gets sluggish*. I've had problems with my adrenal glands since I had rheumatic fever at age 5. I've improved quite a bit but still need to watch my stress levels.

On my days off, it's not too hard to delay breakfast until I've gone 12 hours. One problem is that, some nights my blood sugar drops to the point that my cortisol or other adrenal hormones get triggered and I can't get back to sleep unless I eat a couple or pecans or macadamia nuts.

For ApoE4 folks, which is better, fasting or sleeping? The idea or going 16 hours, basically skipping breakfast, on days I'm treating patients seems like a bad move for me. Does it work to get some small Keto snacks during that 16 hours? Things like MCT oil or macadamia nuts?

I've been on a Paleo type diet with no sugar, no lactose, no grains or high carbohydrate foods like potatoes since 2005. I haven't eaten any of the foods Dr. Bredesen says to avoid (with the exception of home-made, lactose extracted by the formative bacteria yogurt) for around the same time period. I really want this to work because I'm quite frustrated with difficulty coming up with names and terminology every 2-3 sentences but I need some help making fasting work.

Thanks for reading,

Jim
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Fasting Issues

Post by Julie G »

Hi Jim! Typically, difficulty fasting indicates some degree of insulin resistance. When this occurs, it's actually very common to become hypoglycemic at night. As you know, hypoglycemia can be a medical emergency. When this occurs, please eat eat some nuts or avocado slices and try to get right back to sleep. At the same time, try to extend your fast a little bit longer each day, by just 5 minutes, until you reach whatever your goal is — I typically go for 16+ hours.

If you haven't already, you may want to check your HbA1c (goal <5.3), fasting insulin (<4.5) and glucose (<90) to see where you stand. Many people find it very helpful to wear a continuous glucose monitor to learn which foods spike blood glucose so you know how to best tailor your diet to promote insulin sensitivity.

Are you exercising regularly? Exercise also helps to heal insulin resistance, wakes up your mitochondria and promotes metabolic flexibility — the ability to use both glucose and ketones as fuel.
JimH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JimH »

Thanks for your response Julie!

I'm kind of borderline for blood sugar indicators. Fasting glucose 90, insulin 5.8 and HbA1c 5.2. Obviously fasting insulin is the highest indicator of problems. I don't eat sugar or high carbohydrate foods......but I have, recently, been eating more fruit, including mangos (I had to look up fruit beginning with "M" on the internet to remember the name).

I've since stopped having much or any fruit for dessert and gave the mangos I bought to my granddaughter who also loves them. I'll see how my lab values may have changed in a week or so.

I exercise aerobically 3 times/week for about 40 minutes. I also practice regular yoga and tai chi chuan but, of course, these don't raise my pulse much. I've had to be careful about over-exercising since I was in my 20's. Right now, if I do too much in a week, it causes hip pain that interferes with my sleep.

All of this has caused me to be very careful with my diet and overall lifestyle even before I started suspecting Alzheimen's. On the up side, it created a big interest in health care and inspired me to become a practitioner!

Thanks again,

Jim
JimH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JimH »

BTW, it never occurred to me that I could gradually increase my fasting time by 5 minutes. Definitely doable!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

BTW, it never occurred to me that I could gradually increase my fasting time by 5 minutes. Definitely doable!
I agree, extending almost anything —except holding a plank position :D — for 5 minutes does feel pretty doable. Your glycemic numbers aren't too bad, my friend, but there's a little room for improvement and the fact that fasting is difficult is suggestive of insulin resistance. Are you eating a decent amount of dietary fat? I find that adding an avocado a day with lots of healthful high polyphenol EVOO (combined with a long daily fast and exercise) makes achieving ketosis pretty easy which in turn makes fasting much easier.
JimH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JimH »

I've started eating an earlier dinner so that I could go 12 hours fasting even on work days. I've also been going 14+ hour fasting on my days off (3-4 days/week). I took my fasting blood sugar this morning with the "Keto Mojo" device. It was 76 (maybe a bit too low). Probably not as accurate as fasting glucose lab-work but probably better than the 90 fasting glucose lab results. I haven't eaten refined sugar for over 15 years but I have cut back on the amount and types of fruit I was eating. Unfortunately, my Ketones were only 0.6 so I need to work there.

I tend to need something in the middle of the night, especially since I'm eating dinner so much earlier. Some nights I can get by with some MCT oil but last night that wasn't enough and I wasn't able to get back to sleep until I had 2 pecan halves. How big a problem would 2 pecan halves be in affecting a 14 hour fast?

Thanks,

Jim
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I've started eating an earlier dinner so that I could go 12 hours fasting even on work days. I've also been going 14+ hour fasting on my days off (3-4 days/week). I took my fasting blood sugar this morning with the "Keto Mojo" device. It was 76 (maybe a bit too low). Probably not as accurate as fasting glucose lab-work but probably better than the 90 fasting glucose lab results. I haven't eaten refined sugar for over 15 years but I have cut back on the amount and types of fruit I was eating. Unfortunately, my Ketones were only 0.6 so I need to work there.
Kudos! A fasting BG of 76 is not too low; it's great. If you were checking ketones first think in the AM, 0.6mM is perfect. They typically get higher the longer you extend your fast, especially if you exercise during that fasting period (except for a mild decrease immediately after exercise that typically abates fairly quickly.)
I tend to need something in the middle of the night, especially since I'm eating dinner so much earlier. Some nights I can get by with some MCT oil but last night that wasn't enough and I wasn't able to get back to sleep until I had 2 pecan halves. How big a problem would 2 pecan halves be in affecting a 14 hour fast?
This is suggestive of nocturnal hypoglycemia that typically accompanies IR. Even those who are fairly insulin sensitive, can get hypoglycemic episodes during sleep if they eat too many starchy carbs, fruits, etc. the day before. Have you ever considered using a continuous glucose monitor (CGM) so you could pinpoint the specific food that are giving you a problem?
PeteS
New User
New User

Post by PeteS »

Hi Julie G
I've just started to join this group and would like to find out more about fasting. can you recommend where I might go
I am 81 years young and have the gene and am looking for help
Thanks
PeteS
nerdymel23
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nerdymel23 »

PeteS wrote: I've just started to join this group and would like to find out more about fasting. can you recommend where I might go
I am 81 years young and have the gene and am looking for help
Thanks
PeteS
Hi PeteS, welcome to the forum!

You’ll find a thoughtful and caring community here. For more information on fasting, the thread for Ketosis in our comprehensive Wiki may be helpful. We also recommend our Primer, which is authored by a member physician who carries two copies of the APOE-ε4 allele. The primer thread offers accessible science information and you can find Stavia's other strategies in those threads.

There is a handy Search Function for the forum. Using the Search Function can help you find previous conversations or "threads" on topics that interest you. Feel free to comment on previous topics.

Let us know if you need any help finding the resources. Enjoy exploring the forum! :)

- Melissa
ApoE3/4
Board Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach
Certified Wahls Protocol Health Coach
Certified ReCODE Health Coach
PeteS
New User
New User

Post by PeteS »

Hi Melissa
Thanks for your suggestions I appreciate your help