Welcome to our new Meet-Up Forum!

Conferences, webinars, and other gatherings; online and in person.
Grace
Contributor
Contributor

Welcome to our new Meet-Up Forum!

Post by Grace »

We created this forum in response to the feedback we received from our recent meet-up survey. What we learned is that while you all deeply value opportunities to interact (both socially and more formally, around a talk, an expert presentation, or a conference), everyone’s time and resources are variable and the geographic distances that divide us also pose a challenge. The reality is that even if we arrange the best actual meet-up on the ground, it will include travel and entail a significant cost, and only a small fraction of us will actually be able to attend.

Taking that all under advisement, we thought we’d facilitate the next best thing- virtual meet-ups! Virtual meet-ups can happen any time, among any group that shares an interest, and at absolutely no cost to you. Today’s video conference software options also make virtual meet-ups easy and reliable to arrange.

So…. drumroll… this new forum will provide access to a video conferencing service that makes it possible for us to have real-time face-to-face video meetings with folks living anywhere in the world. You’ll be able to join a meeting with the option to share your computer web cam- meaning you will appear live in a video feed on others’ screens, your audio, and even your computer screen. All these options, as well as the username you choose, will be fully under your control - which means you can chose NOT to share your screen and even be mute if you want (although your username will always tell others you are in the room).

We’re thrilled to announce that the service will make it possible for meetings with as few as 2 and as many as 100 participants to happen at most any time you decide to organize them!

For those old enough to remember The Brady Bunch, here's what a meeting might look like:
Brady_Bunch.jpg
We are rolling out this exciting new option in two phases:
  • -In the first phase, we will make available various video conferencing “rooms” that anyone can use to schedule and run a group meeting. We envision members initiating these by posting invitation threads on this forum, generating sufficient interest, and then announcing a theme and time for each meeting. The theme might be geographic (i.e., a defined location in the U.S. or abroad), or topical (e.g., “chat about supplements” or “chat about dietary strategies” or any other topic). Members joining a geographic-based meet-up might decide at some point that they want to continue the conversation offline in an actual live meeting- an initiative that they can organize among themselves. The recent UK threads here and here are an excellent example of the type of meet-ups we'd like to promote.

-In the second phase, we will add live webinars with invited experts! These meetings will be offered live at a specific time, with the opportunity to engage in live Q&A and a large capacity for attendance. Webinars will also be recorded and posted on the forum for later viewing.
So please stay tuned to this thread… we are exploring the various options and hope to select one shortly. As soon as the service is up and running, we will post more detailed directions on how to take advantage of it. In the meantime, feel free to begin generating threads in this forum to build momentum for the meeting you want to create.

Sincerely yours,

The Conference Committee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Welcome to our new Meet-Up Forum!

Post by Julie G »

Hi friends! I'm just bumping this up so all can see what we're trying to achieve. Huge thanks to Grace for spearheading this project. Please feel free to ask questions.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Sounds great! Looking forward to this....
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

This is a great idea! Go team!

I'm wondering if many are seeing this, since it's a new forum here? I usually focus on my notifications and have a hard time keeping up with them (have 399 I still haven't had time for :| ). Once in a long while I click on unread messages where I found this. So if others haven't subscribed to this new forum and don't know it exists, and don't happen to see the unread messages, they may miss it? Not really sure, but I think it's odd there haven't been more replies. Anyway, I'm sure once some virtual meetups are scheduled there will be takers :)
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Indywoman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Indywoman »

I think many of us are just waiting for the roll out, but are enthusiastic and check in occasionally to see if there is more news. Cannot wait for the red carpet, and the Brady Bunch graphic (or for some of us Hollywood Squares) was such a fun visual.
4/4. Do something today that your future self will thank you for.
lamb chops
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lamb chops »

I, too, have been waiting for more information to follow!
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

I think this is such a great idea! :D
4/4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I’m thrilled to see interest! This IS the rollout. If you have a meet-up that you’d like to set up, start a thread in this forum and try to drum up interest. Once you’ve reached critical mass (have some folks who want to meet) and feel like you’re ready to go live with a meeting, simply let us know and we’ll give you the keys to get started.

Meet-ups can be geographic in nature: Calling Colorado folks; educational: Identifying biomarkers that matter or even supportive: Any other caregivers? You set the agenda and find like-minded folks who are interested in your topic. We want to give YOU the opportunity to find support, camaraderie, and to learn together without having to travel and spend a lot of money. I can envision working groups emerging that are focused on specific areas of interest that may ultimately teach us all and the broader Alzheimer’s community. Get involved and reach out to fellow members. Because we have "skin in the game," nobody cares more deeply than we do about the multitude of issues that affect our health and well-being.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Julie G wrote:This IS the rollout. If you have a meet-up that you’d like to set up, start a thread in this forum and try to drum up interest. Once you’ve reached critical mass (have some folks who want to meet) and feel like you’re ready to go live with a meeting, simply let us know and we’ll give you the keys to get started.
Hi Julie. I do love the idea of Meet-ups.
Since this IS the roll out, I’d like to know what my next step would be. Do you recommend that I post a time (and time zone!) first, before getting “the keys to get started”? Shall I wait until I hear from more people?
My hope is that if we do one, it will get the ball rolling.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

I'll start a fermentation meetup for those interested in creating their own fermented foods where we will make the ferment (for example sauerkraut or pickled vegetables) together while learning about it. I've done this with individuals so a group will be a lot of fun! If there is enough interest, I can set up different types of ferments and dates to accommodate the various time zones and countries. I'd love a lesson on how to use the video system that you've chosen to help me solidify my format and get my ball rolling.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist