Online Fermentation Meetups

Conferences, webinars, and other gatherings; online and in person.
Trailrunner
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Online Fermentation Meetups

Post by Trailrunner »

Thank you so much Carrie for the fermentation meet-up today. I throughly enjoyed learning the process of making the Lemon-Dill Kraut and I do feel much more confident about trying some recipes on my own. It was wonderful to connect online and engage with the other participants,

Going forward, I loved the idea of keeping notes and I hope we have a meet-up to make water kefir once we get our grains from the Kefir Lady.

I am excited to see how my kraut turns out; it was certainly fun to make. JOYFUL
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Here's a pic of my work-in-progress. I cheated and added some julienned organic carrots. This looks like a small batch, but it's 3 lbs of cabbage. The blobby thing on the top is a plastic bag full of water to keep the kraut weighted down and firmly in the brine. (I have a layer of cabbage so the plastic isn't touching the kraut. I'm a phthalate phobe :lol:) I'm also ready to experiment with other recipes and krauts. Thanks so much for generously sharing your skills, Carrie. I look forward to playing with kefir water too.
IMG_0366.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

Hi Carrie--I was traveling and missed your Meet-up this weekend :cry: . I hope I can join if you do another one! Sounds like it was great!
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Thanks so much, Carrie. I learned a lot, and will be better prepared for my next batch. I am not sure how my Lemon-Turmeric flavor combo will turn out, but I do know that I am not going to add turmeric again, since my cuticles stayed bright yellow, despite many washings! the whole process is exciting and I have spoken to a local ceramicist about making me a fermentation crock with weights, since the hardest thing for me was wrangling that plastic bag of water into position.
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

floramaria wrote:Thanks so much, Carrie. I learned a lot, and will be better prepared for my next batch. I am not sure how my Lemon-Turmeric flavor combo will turn out, but I do know that I am not going to add turmeric again, since my cuticles stayed bright yellow, despite many washings! the whole process is exciting and I have spoken to a local ceramicist about making me a fermentation crock with weights, since the hardest thing for me was wrangling that plastic bag of water into position.
:lol: Oh, yes, turmeric does turn our hands yellow for a short time so it's best NOT to get a fresh manicure prior to making a kraut with turmeric in it. I was thinking that the next meet-up could be for a turmeric yellow beet kraut (my favorite breakfast kraut) with fresh turmeric & yellow beets. It's a spoon full of sunshine with all of it's yellow goodness. I love that you will be getting your own personal crock made for you. I'm sure that lead won't be used in the glaze but I thought I'd mention it.
APOe4/4
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

CarrieS wrote: I was thinking that the next meet-up could be for a turmeric yellow beet kraut (my favorite breakfast kraut) with fresh turmeric & yellow beets. It's a spoon full of sunshine with all of it's yellow goodness. I love that you will be getting your own personal crock made for you. I'm sure that lead won't be used in the glaze but I thought I'd mention it.
I’ll be willing to have yellow hands for the Turmeric yellow beet kraut.

Lead-free , of course. I am currently doing a yearlong Protocol of oral chelation for lead, so I am being very careful about exposure. don’t want to have to do this again.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Julie G wrote:Here's a pic of my work-in-progress. I cheated and added some julienned organic carrots. This looks like a small batch, but it's 3 lbs of cabbage. The blobby thing on the top is a plastic bag full of water to keep the kraut weighted down and firmly in the brine. (I have a layer of cabbage so the plastic isn't touching the kraut. I'm a phthalate phobe :lol:) I'm also ready to experiment with other recipes and krauts. Thanks so much for generously sharing your skills, Carrie. I look forward to playing with kefir water too.
That looks really beautiful, Julie.
I have put mine in a closed cabinet and am afraid to look at it. I had trouble with the plástico bag of water. Like you I wanted to have a barrier between the bag and my kraut, but my brine rose up and was in full contact with the plastic. I want to use a nice clean rock or something else next time, and skip the plastic.
GLS18
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GLS18 »

Trailrunner wrote:Thank you so much Carrie for the fermentation meet-up today. I throughly enjoyed learning the process of making the Lemon-Dill Kraut and I do feel much more confident about trying some recipes on my own. It was wonderful to connect online and engage with the other participants,

Going forward, I loved the idea of keeping notes and I hope we have a meet-up to make water kefir once we get our grains from the Kefir Lady.

I am excited to see how my kraut turns out; it was certainly fun to make. JOYFUL
Hi Helen,
It is fantastic to hear that you had a wonderful time at the meet-up! Enjoy the lemon-dill kraut:)
Gina
Reversing Cognitive Decline For Coaches Certification Candidate, Fall 2018
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi
Grace
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Grace »

This is so awesome on so many levels!!!!! Thanks everyone!
rrmolo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rrmolo »

Maria, I suggest you look at yours. I checked mine today and so glad I did as I had to pour a lot of brine out of the holding container and put my jar in a bigger holding container. I had used up all my cabbage and maybe filled the jar a little too full. Lots to learn!