Online Fermentation Meetups

Conferences, webinars, and other gatherings; online and in person.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Online Fermentation Meetups

Post by Julie G »

No calendar. You’re welcome to post the announcement in this forum.
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

Thanks Carrie. I filled out the form earlier today. Time zone differences might make things a bit tricky (at least, for the next few weeks), but in general I have a lot of flexibility. Would love to join when I can.
4/4
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

How about Saturday, Sept 8, 9am Pacific (11am Mountain, 12 noon Eastern). We could start with Lemon Dill Sauerkraut and then give you a quick demonstration on Water Kefir and Pickles (or save those for another time). The kraut will take about 45 minutes with the others about 15 minutes each.

I'm open to earlier or later start times too.

When a date and time is agreed upon, I'll post the Zoom link and supplies information so that you can begin to gather some of the hard goods that you will need.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

CarrieS wrote:How about Saturday, Sept 8, 9am Pacific (11am Mountain, 12 noon Eastern).
Maybe it should be: "9am Pacific (10am Mountain, 12 noon Eastern)"
Tincup
E3,E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hey Carrie! I'll tentatively agree to the 9/8 date and time. I really want to learn how to make coconut kefir, but I think that starts with water kefir (?) so this will be helpful for me. The lemon dill sauerkraut sounds amazing. The pickles will be high in lectins for those who are sensitive- something to consider. Let us know if there are any grains or any starter cultures that we need to order in advance. Looking forward to this :D
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Saturday, Sept 8 at 9 am Pacific works for me!
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

I've attached a Supply List for the Lemon-Dill Kraut session. If you'd rather just make plain sauerkraut, you can still join in as you'd only need the cabbage and salt on the ingredient list. This is a very accessible recipe that doesn't require anything fancy to get started.

The plastic baggie is used to help keep the vegetables under the brine during fermentation. If you are trying to avoid plastic or have an allergy, you can use a small plate, grape leaves, etc instead and a boiled rock or jar of water as a weight. We'll talk more about the different types of equipment that can be used.

I'll post the Zoom link as we get closer. I'm looking forward to introducing you all to fermentation!
Carrie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
APOe4/4
Trailrunner
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Trailrunner »

Hi Carrie,
Is it too late to be included in the Fermentation Meetup?
Helen
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

Trailrunner wrote:Hi Carrie,
Is it too late to be included in the Fermentation Meetup?
Helen
You are NOT too late. All are welcome to join in. See the attachment above for supplies.
I'll post the Zoom link this week for participants to join in.
APOe4/4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Carrie, I have all sorts of glass jars (many with screw lids) as opposed to typical ball jar style lids. Will that work? Also, should we pre-chop our cabbage? LOL, I want to be ready :D .

I highly encourage more folks to join in. We have loads of evidence that a healthy gut microbiome is key to maintaining brain health. Lots of newer evidence suggests probiotics are just band-aids and do NOT repopulate the gut in the same way that fermented foods do. Looking forward to this!