Online Fermentation Meetups

Conferences, webinars, and other gatherings; online and in person.
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Online Fermentation Meetups

Post by CarrieS »

Julie G wrote:Carrie, I have all sorts of glass jars (many with screw lids) as opposed to typical ball jar style lids. Will that work? Also, should we pre-chop our cabbage? LOL, I want to be ready :D .

I highly encourage more folks to join in. We have loads of evidence that a healthy gut microbiome is key to maintaining brain health. Lots of newer evidence suggests probiotics are just band-aids and do NOT repopulate the gut in the same way that fermented foods do. Looking forward to this!
Yes, you can use any wide mouth glass jar that you have (like an old pickle jar) BUT it is important that you are able to either get your hand inside to be able to pack down the cabbage mixture or use a tamping device that will fit inside the mouth of the jar. I have a "tart tamper" that I use to pack my 1 quart mason jars. You can certainly use two jars to pack the mixture into also.

Yes, you could pre-chop your cabbage but it will only take few minutes to chop it up. The time consuming part is squeezing the mixture to release the brine.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
GLS18
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GLS18 »

Trailrunner wrote:Hi Carrie,
Is it too late to be included in the Fermentation Meetup?
Helen
Hi Trailrunner/Helen,

Welcome to the ApoE4.Info community!

I hope that you enjoy the Online Fermentation Meetup! Consuming fermented foods is a fantastic way to maintain gut health. As meetups launched recently, continue to check in via this forum for the latest information. If you would like to learn how to subscribe to this forum for notification of new posts and discover tips on navigating this site, click here: How To Get The Most From The ApoE4.Info Website.

There are many wonderful resources on the site, including the Primer, lovingly compiled by Stavia, a physician and fellow member.

If you would like to share what led you to our site, please tell us your story here: Our Stories.

We look forward to your contributions and again, a warm welcome!
Gina
Reversing Cognitive Decline For Coaches Certification Candidate, Fall 2018
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi
Trailrunner
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Trailrunner »

Thank you Gina,
I do need to review how to get the most from the APOE4 site, and I do want to go through the resources in the Primer. I join awhile ago and looked through the website but did not actively use the sight as I would have liked to: now I have a second opportunity. I am excited about the fermentation class and I am excited to become a more active member of the APOE4 community. I will work on my “Our Story” and hopefully have something to post in the next week.
Thank you again,
Helen
GLS18
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GLS18 »

Trailrunner wrote:Thank you Gina,
I do need to review how to get the most from the APOE4 site, and I do want to go through the resources in the Primer. I join awhile ago and looked through the website but did not actively use the sight as I would have liked to: now I have a second opportunity. I am excited about the fermentation class and I am excited to become a more active member of the APOE4 community. I will work on my “Our Story” and hopefully have something to post in the next week.
Thank you again,
Helen
You are most welcome Helen! If you have any questions along the way, we are here to support you.
Gina
Reversing Cognitive Decline For Coaches Certification Candidate, Fall 2018
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi
Grace
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Grace »

Hi Carrie - Sorry I have been distracted a bit by end-of-summer stuff. But I am back now and will be checking in more regularly here. I love your idea of a calendar, a central place where folks could go to see all the potential meet-ups at once. When this gets going and more meet-ups are being held, that will become very useful. We'll explore it and see what we can do.

Thanks for the idea!
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Carrie, I might be sleep deprived tomorrow, but I'll be there. I just started a sleep program that involves sleep restriction. If I'm really out of it, I'll ask my husband to cut the cabbage for me. :)
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Hi Carrie, I plan to join in too. Since I am in a rural community, and don’t want to take a trip to town today for ingredients, I may not have them all. Possibly can get A locally grown cabbage from one of our farmers, but definitely wont be able to get lemons. Is there anything that can be substituted for the lemons? Otherwise Ill just follow along and take notes for now.
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

Here is the link to join in on the Meet Up tomorrow morning. Click on the link and wait if I haven't opened up the program yet.

Meet Ups is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Lemon Dill Kraut
Time: Sep 8, 2018 9:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Mountain Time: 10 AM Eastern Time: 12 Noon

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/870102942

Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +16465588665,,870102942# or +16699006833,,870102942#
Or Telephone:
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 646 558 8665 or +1 669 900 6833
Meeting ID: 870 102 942
International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/dsPQP5SRE
APOe4/4
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

floramaria wrote:Hi Carrie, I plan to join in too. Since I am in a rural community, and don’t want to take a trip to town today for ingredients, I may not have them all. Possibly can get A locally grown cabbage from one of our farmers, but definitely wont be able to get lemons. Is there anything that can be substituted for the lemons? Otherwise Ill just follow along and take notes for now.
I think that the kraut will be just as good without the lemon juice if you want to try it that way (kind of like dill pickles). The juice tends to make the kraut a little softer but isn't a big part of the flavor (IMHO). You could always make a traditional kraut with just cabbage and salt too if desired and add caraway seeds for more flavor.

So many, many options.
APOe4/4
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

TheBrain wrote:Carrie, I might be sleep deprived tomorrow, but I'll be there. I just started a sleep program that involves sleep restriction. If I'm really out of it, I'll ask my husband to cut the cabbage for me. :)
Oh my, yes, please no knives for you if need be. I'm looking forward to teaching you all the tricks of the trade.
APOe4/4