Online Fermentation Meetups

Conferences, webinars, and other gatherings; online and in person.
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Online Fermentation Meetups

Post by CarrieS »

rrmolo wrote:Maria, I suggest you look at yours. I checked mine today and so glad I did as I had to pour a lot of brine out of the holding container and put my jar in a bigger holding container. I had used up all my cabbage and maybe filled the jar a little too full. Lots to learn!
Great observation rrmolo!
Filling our containers too full does indeed leave little room for the rise in brine that occurs during the first week or two. A good rule of thumb is to leave 2 to 4 inches of space above your kraut to accommodate the increase in brine. Your holding container did it's job by catching the overflow and not creating a mess. Some vegetables create more brine than others. A couple of years ago I made a carrot kraut and overfilled my jars. My "pickle pipe" air lock groaned, bulged and eventually released a huge shower of brine all over my ceiling and cabinets. What a mess and a good lesson to help me realize the importance of leaving room for the brine to develop.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
Trailrunner
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Trailrunner »

I just tried my Lemon-Dill Kraut and will be proudly and confidentially serving it to dinner guest this evening.

Learning to make the Kraut was a fun adventure with you all! As an added bonus, I took the time to learn how to post my picture of the Kraut too. Thank you for posting the how to post picture also!

Thank you for the meet-up and looking forward to what might come next!
Helen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Trailrunner wrote:I just tried my Lemon-Dill Kraut and will be proudly and confidentially serving it to dinner guest this evening.
Learning to make the Kraut was a fun adventure with you all! As an added bonus, I took the time to learn how to post my picture of the Kraut too. Thank you for posting the how to post picture also!
Helen
Congratulations, Helen!
It looks beautiful! My mother's German-Austrian ancestors would be cheering the new-found interest in all-things-kraut! My own lemon-dill choice right now is hummus, as in "This Hummus Tastes Fresh-lemon dill" from Ithaca Cold Crafted. No comparison to the processed versions. Hope your guests love your dish.
4/4 and still an optimist!
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

Trailrunner wrote:I just tried my Lemon-Dill Kraut and will be proudly and confidentially serving it to dinner guest this evening.

Helen
I’m thrilled that you are enjoying your kraut and are proudly sharing it with others. I’ll schedule another kraut Meetup when I get back from vacation. I picked up 3 kilos of sea salt from Ston Croatia and can’t wait to use it (but I need to get it home first).
APOe4/4
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Thanks for the great Meetup, Carrie. I left my Lemon Turmeric Kraut for a full three weeks and opened it up on Saturday. I figured it was “ready” when the cabinet it was in began to have a distinct kraut smell. Brine overflowed a bit because my plastic bag of water took up most of the head room in the jar. My jar was in a big bowl so overflow was not a problem.
Result: It is very zesty and delicious. I’ve been eating it everyday.
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

B2B56C4E-9C10-472D-B04D-78CF600374C8.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

I wasn't able to attend the meetup, but I had purchased a fermenting kit early in the summer. A couple weeks ago I bought a nice small head of cabbage at the farmer's market to give it a go.

Just tried the results last night and it was fabulous (about 11 days of fermenting). I'm totally hooked now.

If anyone is not sure about making ferments, I highly recommend this system by Nourished Essentials. I bought the lids (that create/manage a vacuum), the tamper and the weights (fits perfectly into a wide-mouth mason jar). I just used a canning jar that I already had. It truly is a pack and forget system. I figure after a half dozen jars or so, I'll start saving on making versus buying sauerkraut. Bubbies is expensive where I live!

I don't make any money off of this, so here is the system I used. https://nourishedessentials.com/

And, with this system, I highly recommend leaving 4 inches for good measure, to adjust for the displacement due to the weights and as the brine builds over the first several days.
IMG_2554.jpg