Mental Madness

Conferences, webinars, and other gatherings; online and in person.
rrmolo
Contributor
Contributor

Mental Madness

Post by rrmolo »

I've been thinking about a malady that seems rather rampant on this website. I would call it Mental Madness and I would define it as a malady that afflicts those who fear cognitive decline. It seems to be more acute with the "newly diagnosed" ApoE4's but is known to persist with just about everyone who visits this site regularly. Mine began around ten years ago when I took part in a university research and was told I was double 4 after having requested not to get my results.
In the last years I would say knowing my results was a blessing in disguise. I've kept up with all the latest research . I pay attention to diet, exercise, sleep. And particularly this site is a Blessing! Just knowing there are so many others trying to solve the same problems and that I am not alone. I have much less mental madness! I note that those who are really doing things to prevent cognitive decline are much less apt to worry about it constantly.
Thanks to all on this site for your sincere caring. You help me positively direct my madness energy!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Mental Madness

Post by NF52 »

rrmolo wrote:I've been thinking about a malady that seems rather rampant on this website. I would call it Mental Madness and I would define it as a malady that afflicts those who fear cognitive decline..Thanks to all on this site for your sincere caring. You help me positively direct my madness energy!
Oh, I'm pretty sure you have earned the award for Best New Disease of 2018! Especially since knowledge, support and humor all seem to have erased it from your life!! I think that most of us with ApoE 4/4 have had this, sometimes like poison ivy, that springs up in unexpected places and unhelpful times.
I've taken the liberty of reproducing your wonderful introduction post from Jan. 12, 2018 below, which seems like an ideal "treatment plan" for this "disease". I hope that many people who have been asking if it's possible to get to a nice old age with ApoE 4/4, read about your habits. And if you haven't had that 79th birthday yet this year, I hope it's a beautiful day when it arrives! Hugs from a 66 year old "younger sister".
rrmolo wrote:I've been reading here for awhile. This is my introduction. I'm female, 78, 4/4, married. My father had Alzheimers and so in 2007 I joined a research study at out local Medical College. They tested by Apo E status and asked me if I wanted to know it. I said no. They mistakenly sent me my info. In retrospect I am happy they did. It has allowed me to be much more attuned to prevention. I have been playing raquetball for over 40 years and continue, I do a lot of yoga, walking and now strength training. I meditate every am for many years. I am in two book clubs and read a lot. My husband and I travel. He became a patient of Dr. Davis (Wheat Belly) when he became allergic to statins and so we are pretty much wheat free. I unfortunately do not have a doctor. The one I see once/year for a free medicare exam. I'm a retired nurse (substance abuse and psychiatric) and pretty much try to stay out of their offices. However not having a knowledgeable helper is a hindrance. So your website is a great help for me. I look forward to reading your posts.
4/4 and still an optimist!
Lindy
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Mental Madness

Post by Lindy »

Rrmolo, I am now planning to play racquetball at age 78. (I think I'll start with badminton and work my way up.) I have definitely been through bouts of Mental Madness - the first step to a cure is to recognize you have a disease. I think NF52 is right about your "treatment plan." You are certainly an inspiration to me!
APOE-ε4/ε4 on the voyage of discovery.