Any NORCAL folks interested in a get together?

Conferences, webinars, and other gatherings; online and in person.
PSu82537%a6r_dnz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Any NORCAL folks interested in a get together?

Post by PSu82537%a6r_dnz »

Julie G wrote:Hi all! We’d love an update from anyone who attended the meet-up...
Hi Julie....
I just got home from the meetup in Mill Valley, and I'm a bit surprised you don't have a bunch of updates by now. I had to drink lots of coffee to stay awake for the drive home, it's going to be hopeless trying to get to sleep, so forgive me if I rattle on and on....and no, the meetup did not last until 10:00 pm, I had to stop off in Vallejo to tend to a problem that came up.

The meetup itself was great, we had a very nice group that was well diversified between E4/E4s and E3/E4s, men and women, younger and older, people who have been dealing with this for years and people who just found out very recently about being E4 positive. Many thanks to Mike for organizing this. We even had a couple of attendees who self-identified as "Lurkers", people who have been monitoring the web site but not yet registered. I hope they felt welcomed enough, and got enough benefit from the meetup to go ahead and register. Speaking directly to them (and any other Lurkers out there), I wanted to urge them to go ahead and register so they can get all the benefits of the site, like the ability to send private messages to other individual members. If you are hesitating to register out of privacy concerns, just do what I did....make up a meaningless user ID and omit any personal details from your profile. It felt a bit weird for me when I did this, but I felt it was necessary and there have been no adverse reactions from anybody that I am aware of.

We went around the table and each of us told the story of how we came to be aware of our E4 positive status and what we have done about it. Some of our more experienced members shared details of their medical or technical knowledge or research, some shared specific nutritional supplements they have found helpful, medical practitioners they recommend, procedures they have gone through to select nutritional supplements, and other actions like detoxification processes and EMF awareness. Some of our newer members expressed feelings of shock, denial, confusion, and almost even despair upon learning of their E4 positive status. One of them even reported being told by a medical practitioner that there is nothing she can do. I hope we were able to convince her that there are indeed many things she can do, and our web site can be a major help to her in figuring out what to do. My own personal contribution to the conversation was tons of questions and boundless enthusiasm. I don't really know very much about this but I am learning fast and I'm very grateful for the existence of this web site. I told our group how I have been a yo-yo dieter all my life, constantly struggling to loose weight, only to gain it all back (and more). Between the Bredesen book and this web site, I have been inspired to take off more than 50 pounds over the past year or so, and keep it off longer than I ever have before. I feel better now than I did before I received my 23 and Me report. It felt strange to be saying that, especially in the presence of people who are having a hard time dealing with their own reports. I hope they were able to take some comfort in knowing we can make changes and improve our chances.

This meetup was definitely worthwhile and I highly recommend a similar gathering for everyone who is able to get one together.
Metta4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Metta4 »

That's a great summary Psu!

I enjoyed meeting everyone and hearing the stories of where people are in their journeys.

I also wanted to mention how inspiring it was to hear from people who have been dealing with this status or other health issues for awhile and have a sense of hope and control over their lives. One of the older participants reminded us to be grateful for the time we have right this minute. What a good reminder!

Thanks to everyone who generously offered advice based on their own experience. We're all different, but having personal experience as a filter for the torrent of information is always helpful.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Thanks to Psu for the excellent summary of our Mill Valley meetup.

We had eight people with a wide variety of ages and locations on the path to dealing with our e4 status and other health issues. It was so helpful hearing how our other members had dealt with health challenges in their lives. I left feeling inspired to work on my own health issues and looking forward to the next time I get to see these friendly, helpful people again.

I want to thank Apoe4.info for providing the platform that allowed us to connect with each other.
Thanks to Mike for organizing the meetup.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Yes, I also thought it went well. We had 8 show up, 6 4/4s and 2 3/4s. Psu summed it up well. I only wanted to add that folks were interested in this meet-up continuing on a quarterly basis, so let's reserve Sunday July 14 for the next meet up. Was 10 am a good time? Traffic was not bad this time... How about location? It was more crowded than I figured it would be at 10 am, but we made it work... We ended up outside - if we wanted to do something like this again, there is a wonderful little park in downtown Mill Valley with the old mill and redwoods that could work... Or I'm open to a totally different town...
Sonoma Mike
4/4
floatingsue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by floatingsue »

I was one of the meet-up people and being this was the first time I've ever done anything like that (let alone on such a personal topic) I wanted to say how happy I'm feeling about going. Was incredibly helpful to meet others who are dealing w/the same issue albeit everyone is dealing with it differently which in itself was a great learning experience. Got a lot of good info including some which helped me make an important decision I was on the fence about. I will unfortunately miss the next meet-up as I will be away however I will definitely be attending the ones after that. Thanks again to Mike for putting this together and to those of us who showed up and participated. A very worthwhile way to spend a Sunday morning.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Mike,
The 10am on Sunday was fine for me. The time and day took us out of the heavy traffic period. The down town park in Mill Valley sounds good to me. I put July 14 on my calendar.
PSu82537%a6r_dnz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PSu82537%a6r_dnz »

Starfish77 wrote:Mike,
The 10am on Sunday was fine for me. The time and day took us out of the heavy traffic period. The down town park in Mill Valley sounds good to me. I put July 14 on my calendar.
Date, time, and place all sound fine to me. I put it on my calendar as well. See you all there.
Psu
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Huge thanks to Mike for putting this together! And, thanks to all for sharing your experiences about the meeting. I've been honored to engage in quite a few of these and have found each one to be very powerful. No one quite "gets" us like fellow carriers. PLEASE try to keep your meetings going and be sure to keep the larger group apprised of what's next. -xo
W350113
Contributor
Contributor

Post by W350113 »

Add me to your list of Norcal folks who would welcome a meet up/hike. I live in Sacramento and could easily drive to the Sonoma or other Norcal areas.

Thanks,
Lia (one e4. . .don't know if the other is e2 or e3, guessing e3 since way more common)
MargaretE
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MargaretE »

The meet up was great for me, although I was way out of my league on knowledge of the protocol. I will certainly try to make every meeting I can in the future, everyone was so generous in sharing their experiences and knowledge. I'm rereading the Bredesen book, albeit slowly as it causes great anxiety, hence my denial. I hope to be able to contribute more in the future.