Calling all Alzheimer's Activists!

Conferences, webinars, and other gatherings; online and in person.
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Calling all Alzheimer's Activists!

Post by CarrieS »

I'm interested.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Julie G wrote:I'm guessing we should plan to meet after work hours. If folks have more flexibility with time, we can meet earlier in the day. How is Tuesday, August 6th or the 13th? Name a time that works for you. I hope more members get involved... !
I’d like to be part of this. Every Tuesday I have commitments from 4:30-7:30 MT. could make it before or after.
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Random ideas: make it an issue of "brain health", a broad issue that covers everyone, at all ages, from kids playing football and soccer to service people with TBI, to those with neuro-degenerative diseases; highlight the cost of care-giving and burden on medicare system; point out "no treatment, no cure" to motivate people to consider prevention and delay; highlight the huge discrepancy between funding for this and other diseases; going to need a media resources page; could have an artist generate artwork / logos and have an online storefront where people can support the cause by purchasing t-shirts, hats, bumper stickers, etc. Involve memory care facilities, since they are essentially networks of care-givers and families who are likely to be motivated. Join legal action for clean air - since this is linked to AD.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Anyway, I thought that one target for us could be attorneys who specialize in estate planning and elder law. Younger people do wills as well (or at least they should!).
Love this, Brain. Yes, attorneys doing estate planning should be aware that AD is preventable. I think another target audience should be practicing neurologists who were taught the opposite in medical school. They are on the frontlines of this fight with patients asking for information. How wonderful if we could supply them with non-controversial pamphlets that they could hand out to their patients.
Random ideas: make it an issue of "brain health", a broad issue that covers everyone, at all ages, from kids playing football and soccer to service people with TBI, to those with neuro-degenerative diseases; highlight the cost of care-giving and burden on medicare system; point out "no treatment, no cure" to motivate people to consider prevention and delay; highlight the huge discrepancy between funding for this and other diseases; going to need a media resources page; could have an artist generate artwork / logos and have an online storefront where people can support the cause by purchasing t-shirts, hats, bumper stickers, etc. Involve memory care facilities, since they are essentially networks of care-givers and families who are likely to be motivated. Join legal action for clean air - since this is linked to AD.
Yes, to all of this, Fiver! We need to come up with a name for this campaign that doesn't include ApoE4.Info since everyone is at risk. I love the idea of targeting brain health at every age. That's what other countries who age successfully (like Japan) are already doing.

I found this recent article summarizing the annual AAIC event proclaiming that multiple studies have converged to provide evidence that Alzheimer's Prevention is real. This is what we're been proposing from our inception. It's beyond gratifying to see mainstream medicine finally catching up with us. I'm very excited to kick off a brain health campaign and regain control of this messaging.

I'm beginning to think that we may need two meeting options just to be able to include everyone. We could take notes from each to share with the broader group. We probably should start with an agenda so that we have some organization while allowing plenty of room for brainstorming. How does Tuesday, August 13 (time to be determined) work for one meeting option? Please say yes/no and the times you'll be available. For those who can't make it not hat day, please share an alternative day.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

August 13 works for me, except 11:30 - 2:30 PST. Names: BrainFitness? BrainFit? HealthyBrain? NeuroFit?
Sonoma Mike
4/4
DDorans
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DDorans »

I’m interested.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Julie G wrote:How does Tuesday, August 13 (time to be determined) work for one meeting option? Please say yes/no and the times you'll be available. For those who can't make it not hat day, please share an alternative day.
Any time up until 7 pm ET on August 13 works for me.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

Julie G wrote:Thanks for the response, friends. I'm guessing we should plan to meet after work hours. If folks have more flexibility with time, we can meet earlier in the day. How is Tuesday, August 6th or the 13th? Name a time that works for you.
I can't do August 6 during the day, but I'm wide open on August 13.
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hi friends! Here's some recommended reading to help prepare for our meeting. Keep sharing your ideas! I'll generate and post a proposed agenda soon.

In the meantime, Tuesday, August 13 is our top pick for a first meeting. How would 2:30PM PT, 3:30PM MT, 4:30PM CT, and 5:30PM ET work? For anyone who can't make that day, please propose an alternate.
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

Hi August 6th and 13th work but I have commitments in the AM. On the 6th only til labout 10AM and the 13th until about 1PM -- west coast time.

Maureen