Calling all Alzheimer's Activists!

Conferences, webinars, and other gatherings; online and in person.
MagicBean
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Calling all Alzheimer's Activists!

Post by MagicBean »

Last edited by MagicBean on Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Julie G wrote: 1. The group felt strongly that we need a bold name for our campaign that included the words “Alzheimer’s Prevention” either in the name itself or in our tag line. We still need to hammer out the exact name. Please keep brainstorming with us. We also need to develop a logo.
How about
logo.PNG
An elephant for memory...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Anyway, like I said, not trying to naysay but wanted to bring up these points that should be discussed before the brochures are printed!
We appreciate your help, Magic Bean. Trust me, we are a long ways from printing anything. We're just in the brainstorming stage and your input is very timely. I, too, was hesitant to use the term "prevention," but our group felt it was time to take a bold stance and pushed to include it. As you're probably aware this is a hotly debated topic. This 2019 paper,Alzheimer's “Prevention” vs. “Risk Reduction”: Transcending Semantics for Clinical Practice summarizes the status quo. Additionally, the CDC itself, has a public health curriculum focused on the primary prevention of Alzheimer’s. I'll attach part of that below. The prevention aspect comes in on slide #20.

I like DaleBru's suggestion of replacing "prevention" with "hope." I also think that we're very safe to focus on "brain health." BUT, as our group kept repeating, do we want to be safe? Isn't it time for a bold stance? And, as those at the highest genetic risk actively working to prevent the disease, aren't we the group to deliver that message? I don't know. Thinking out loud.
Module3-Alzheimers-Disease-Role-of-Public-Health.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rrmolo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rrmolo »

This is a suggestion:

AVOID the SLIPPERY SLOPE to ALZHEIMERS or ASS to Alzheimers
It is unconventional, non medical model, inspires questioning, sometimes we slip, nothing is guaranteed

Our logo could also be modern...maybe in tatoo style!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

rrmolo wrote:ASS to Alzheimers
:lol:

Needed a good laugh this morning.

On a serious note, if we think about how people might search for information, they might be more likely to type "avoiding Alzheimers" versus "preventing Alzheimers" given the strong, existing messaging that Alzheimer's can't be prevented. So that word "avoid" might be good to slip in somewhere.

Just a quick drive by - hands full at the moment, on many fronts. Good luck with the initiative.
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

Julie G wrote:What else am I missing?
In our messages, I think we really need to hit hard to educate people that AD takes YEARS to develop. There is hope in that message because it means people have years available to them to work on prevention. If we can convince people that silent changes are happening for decades, we can target younger people (30's to 60's?) with the message that NOW is the right time to make changes. This is not a wait and see condition.
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

I'll throw in a couple:

Citizens for Alzheimer Prevention

Voices for Alzheimer Prevention

And maybe this as a play on APOE, others please take a stab if you think it works (I ran out of adjectives, verbs, and nouns!!):

Alzheimer Prevention Outcome Exchange
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

JML wrote: In our messages, I think we really need to hit hard to educate people that AD takes YEARS to develop. There is hope in that message because it means people have years available to them to work on prevention. If we can convince people that silent changes are happening for decades, we can target younger people (30's to 60's?) with the message that NOW is the right time to make changes. This is not a wait and see condition.
I agree!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

So many great ideas! Thank you, all. RU, I really like the idea of including "citizens" or "voices" because that's playing on our strength. Yes, JML and floramaria, we must address the urgency and the very long prodromal period that gives us an opportunity to intervene. rrmlo, I love it- quite memorable! I really like the idea of an acronym. I've been playing with a few:

R.E.A.P: Real Examples of Alzheimer’s Prevention
Reap the benefits of a brain healthy lifestyle today
_____
S.T.E.A.D.Y: Strategies To End Alzheimer’s Disease Yesterday
Slow and Steady wins the race. Get started now for a better tomorrow
____
STEADfast: Strategies To End Alzheimer’s Fast
Remain steadfast against Alzheimer’s disease. Act now for a better today... and tomorrow
____
INSTEAD: Incorporate New Strategies To End Alzheimer’s
Imagine a world without Alzheimer’s. Act now for a different tomorrow
____
INSTEAD: Incorporate Nine Strategies To End Alzheimer’s
Imagine a world without Alzheimer’s. Act now for a different tomorrow

Try to narrow down a top nine (supported by evidence) in our consensus statement to provide a short list of simple strategies.

-Eat a healthy diet
-Exercise
-Optimize sleep
-Manage stress
-Breathe clean air
-Protect your head
-Reduce Glycemic markers
-Optimize blood pressure
-Stimulate your brain
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

JML wrote:
Julie G wrote:What else am I missing?
In our messages, I think we really need to hit hard to educate people that AD takes YEARS to develop. There is hope in that message because it means people have years available to them to work on prevention. If we can convince people that silent changes are happening for decades, we can target younger people (30's to 60's?) with the message that NOW is the right time to make changes. This is not a wait and see condition.
Prevent Alheimer's NOW
Sonoma Mike
4/4