Calling all Alzheimer's Activists!

Conferences, webinars, and other gatherings; online and in person.
Brian4
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Calling all Alzheimer's Activists!

Post by Brian4 »

I am REALLY disappointed I had to miss this (a conference call scheduled for earlier in the day went way, way over), but I will hope to attend the next meeting.

It sounds like tremendous progress was made. Congratulations!

Brian
ε4/ε4 (for now).
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Me too. Julie's looked too much like an atom model, and the only one I can think of right now that would match would be CH3..
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

So many have shared terrific ideas! A few have commented about the need to distinguish this campaign from the information put out by the Alzheimer's Association. I strongly agree! FWIW, the Alzheimer's Association's perspective on "prevention" has evolved over the years with the evidence. They used to unequivocally state that Alzheimer's can NOT be prevented. Now, they have this lukewarm page suggesting that it probably won't ever be possible to prove prevention works because of the need for expensive, long term RCTs to build evidence. That said, the information they've put out is good, but I think we can (and should) do better.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

Maybe we can get Chuck Norris as a spokesperson? He wrote this article, there are Discus comments, some derogatory toward him, but I loved his martial arts movies growing up:

https://www.wnd.com/2019/08/tiny-drop-o ... eakthrough
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
HopefulCaroline
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HopefulCaroline »

floramaria wrote:
Julie G wrote:
Because of our high genetic risk, we are the face of this disease. We are speaking for the almost 6 million Americans who are already affected, and the 14 million who are slated to develop the disease by 2050, if we do nothing to intervene. The pathology that leads to Alzheimer’s disease takes decades to develop. There is currently no cure for this disease, although some prevention strategies appear to mitigate disease progression. The sooner any of us begins working on Alzheimer’s prevention, the better our chances of avoiding the disease. Alzheimer’s prevention, started early, is the best and only chance we have to address this public health epidemic.

1. The group felt strongly that we need a bold name for our campaign that included the words “Alzheimer’s Prevention” either in the name itself or in our tag line. We still need to hammer out the exact name. Please keep brainstorming with us. We also need to develop a logo. Any and all help is appreciated.

“Alzheimer’s Prevention” (name TBD)
As someone who missed the gathering, I don’t know what ideas have already been tossed out and discarded, so i will offer a twist on the name: “Alzheimer’s Prevention Project”. or perhaps another word with Alzheimer’s Prevention that conveys the same idea

My other suggestion is that “currently” be added to this final line in the first paragraph: Alzheimer’s prevention, started early, is the best and only chance we currently have to address this public health epidemic.
(I am not suggesting it be italicized, only did that to make it easy to spot here. )

Hello all,
I am sorry to have missed the first meeting. It looks like there was some very good brainstorming done. Has anyone been involved with Maria Shriver's initiatives around Alzheimer's Prevention. The Women's Alzheimer's Movement and Move for Minds? I know she partnered with high profile celebrities and brands like Equinox to help spread the word on prevention especially for younger generations who feel invincible. I wonder how effective her campaigns have been? It would be interesting to see how much money they have raised as some measure of reach and penetration. I will see if I can find any information that might be helpful to our efforts going forward.

Caroline
Caroline
ApoE4.info Intern
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
“What grows never grows old.” -Noah Benshea
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I love the idea of using Chuck Norris and Maria Shriver as advocates for our cause. I think Seth Rogen is another who would appeal to a younger crowd.

The name Alzheimer's Prevention Project is growing on me. It distinguished us from everyone else and really focuses on what we're proposing to do. Thoughts?
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

Julie G wrote:I love the idea of using Chuck Norris and Maria Shriver as advocates for our cause. I think Seth Rogen is another who would appeal to a younger crowd.

The name Alzheimer's Prevention Project is growing on me. It distinguished us from everyone else and really focuses on what we're proposing to do. Thoughts?
I like it.... it's simple, easy to remember, and in reality what we do is an ongoing project to find preventative measures not only for our genotype but Alzheimer's in general.
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

I really like Alzheimer's Prevention Project. Not shying away from Alzheimer in our name appeals to me and instead of using a word like Prevention, which might imply that we have all the answers, and instead, using the word Project -- which seems to mean that we are working on the answers I believe should not be as much of a red flag,
Maureen
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

I also like Alzheimer's Prevention Project. Maybe for the logo, constructing a brain - a play on the word project.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
shenmen100
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shenmen100 »

UCLA already has a study named Alzheimer’s Prevention Project, so I do not know if we could use that name- could be confusing
https://www.semel.ucla.edu/app/alzheime ... -questions