Dr. Bredesen speaking on Sept. 10th?/Bay Area Meet up?

Conferences, webinars, and other gatherings; online and in person.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Dr. Bredesen speaking on Sept. 10th?/Bay Area Meet up?

Post by Julie G »

Dr. Bredesen is speaking at the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco on September 10th. The topic is: Reducing the Global Burden of Dementia. You can learn more here. Those in the Bay area might want to use this as an opportunity for a meet up. This looks like a great event. Wish I could be there...
PSu82537%a6r_dnz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Dr. Bredesen speaking on Sept. 10th?/Bay Area Meet up?

Post by PSu82537%a6r_dnz »

Julie, thank you for suggesting this. I bought my ticket last night, and intend to make a day of it in San Francisco. My current plan is to leave my car in the Bart parking lot in Walnut Creek, and take Bart into San Francisco. I hope to get there early enough to take a nice hike around the city, then grab a late lunch/early dinner before Dr. Bredesen's talk. If anyone would like to come along and make a meet-up out of it, please send me a private message to arrange time and place to meet. Thanks, PSU
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

How wonderful, PSU! Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to make this one, but I hope others in the Bay area can. If you plan to attend, please comment in this thread so you can determine a meeting place, etc.
PSu82537%a6r_dnz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PSu82537%a6r_dnz »

Hi Julie,
Since I didn’t see anybody else from our little community at this event I thought I would send in a report.
This was a talk presented to the Commonwealth Club, located right downtown on the Embarcadero.
For some reason I had assumed/expected that this would be a presentation of new information, but that did not turn out to be the case. Most of the actual information I had seen many times before, both in the book, and on the many YouTube recordings of other presentations and interviews by Dr. Bredesen. Some of the case histories I have heard so many times I feel like I know those people.
Most of the graphics were likewise familiar, but one was new to me. It was a pair of bar graphs contrasting the old-school, 19th and 20th century medical landscape to the 21st century challenge presented by Alzheimer’s and other complex degenerative diseases. The old-school graph showed five or six factors that contribute to, or are associated with, pneumococcal pneumonia. The extremely short, one or two percent bars were things like alcohol use, diabetes and other factors, and then the extremely tall, 94 % bar represented the pneumococcus bacteria…..clearly the overwhelmingly most significant factor in causing the disease. In that case it was appropriate and successful to develop a single drug to combat that single factor and produce a cure for that disease.
The new-school, 21st century graph representing Alzheimer’s suggested no single bar that was much taller than the other bars, but instead suggested a series of 36 bars with slight variations in height, but generally speaking more or less equal. This was, to me, a powerful visual representation of the idea that no single drug is going to be a magic bullet, but instead each individual contributing factor needs to be recognized and addressed appropriately.
Another tidbit that felt new to me, though it has been hinted at previously, was Dr. Bredesen’s statement that both Alzheimer’s and macular degeneration have a strong correlation to low oxygen saturation during the overnight hours.
To sum it up, I am very glad I went to that talk, even though most of it was already familiar to me based on the book, participation in this APOE4 forum, and viewing of other presentations and interviews. It was very interesting to see Dr. Bredesen in person…I was seated front row center and it was kind of an eerie feeling because most of the audience seemed to be hearing this information for the first time, and I have been steeped in it for many months, maybe even a year now. It also gave me kind of a kick in the pants to get back to work on this stuff…I had been slacking off because I have addressed the top 4 or 5 factors, but there are many more elements to the “cognoscopy” that I still have sort of pending, and I need to get back to that.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thank you for that excellent summary, PSU I'm sorry that you ended up alone and that much of the info was a refresher... although even that can be motivating. I would also love to hear a talk for those of us already steeped in the protocol with all NEW information. I feel blessed to be working with Dr. Bredesen and am thrilled when he calls to talk about novel ideas. It's stunning to me that so many are still not familiar with the basics, but with that understanding, it must be hard to put together a talk that goes beyond that. Terrific description of the 36 causal factors graph! How frustrating that "20th century" medicine still isn't grasping the broader notion of multiple contributors. Sadly, our lifestyles and environments are driving so much of chronic illness, but the silver lining is that we can DO something about that.