Cost comparison: different sources of phospholipid-bound omega-3

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Re: Cost comparison: different sources of phospholipid-bound omega-3

Post by MarcR »

Tincup wrote:Gundry would likely say to get the eggs, throw away the whites and eat the yolk.
Reminds me of Petro Dobromylskyj's breakfasts, circa 2013:
Breakfast is always the same. I melt about 100g of butter in a frying pan. I crack 11 eggs yolks in to this (I fry the whites later for the chickens!) and fry them until they hold their shape. I then pour 8 yolks for myself and Hazel, with all of the free butter, in to a bowl and mash them with a fork before stirring the mix in to an "egg soup". Hazel has a dollop, I have the rest. We like it quite solid. I finish any Hazel doesn't want, hopefully I get six yolks worth. Daniel likes his yolks just fried, he has the other three.
Sounds yummy, and my, what a creative use of egg whites!
mike wrote:Not all Omega 3 eggs are the same.
I actually think omega-3 eggs really are all about the same. The supplement differences - fish oil, flaxseed, or both - seem to me to pale in comparison to the difference between traditional omnivorous pasture foraging and standard "cage-free" confined animal feeding operations.

Even within a pastured-only brand like Vital Farms I have found that quality rises as diet control diminishes. On multiple occasions I have cracked Alfresco, Non-GMO, and Organic eggs in a bowl together, and the difference is obvious - the Alfresco eggs are dark orange, the Non-GMO eggs are light orange, and the organic eggs are about the same or even sometimes a bit lighter. The Alfresco eggs taste better to me than the other two types.

From parsing the product descriptions on the website, I infer that the Alfresco hens forage year round ("every day") and consume only "supplemental" feed. The Non-GMO hens forage "from morning till night" (but not "every day") and receive "Non-GMO Project Verified feed" (perhaps as a primary rather than supplemental source?). And the Organic hens forage too (but not "every day" or "from morning till night") and "receive a carefully formulated feed".

For omega-3 (and DHA) nutritional content, I'm betting on the pastured chickens whose eggs taste the best and whose rich orange color indicates a diet heavy in fresh grass and insects:

Hate Fish? Try Grass Instead for Omega-3s
bladedmind
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by bladedmind »

Here are USDA data, ranking the proportion of DHA in fish. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Omega ... -Consumer/

I couldn't find estimates of phospholipid-bound DHA (and EPA) for different species of fish. In my OP I cited studies showing high proportions of phospholipid in DHA from caviar, roes, and salmon, and otherwise only the vague generalization: "Depending on the kind of fish, up to one third of the EPA and DHA content might exist in the form of PLs." https://www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/13/11/15401/htm

Sorry the chart is ragged, I don't see a way to enter .csv data on the weblog.

This is from USDA Nutrition Data, sorted from highest DHA per 100g to lower DHA per 100g. I truncated at 0.405 g/100g DHA, there is plenty of seafood below that level, but 0.405 was a natural elbow in the data
Salmon is a sure thing. Trout, yes! Sablefish for those who can afford it. Canned anchovies (the large, mild ones from Wild Planet) and kippered herring (I bought from Bar Harbor) are economical and easy to handle. Sardines good, but not as high as some of the others.
  • DHA per 100g EPA per 100g
    Fish, caviar, black and red, granular 3.8 2.741
    Fish, roe, mixed species, cooked, dry heat 1.747 1.26
    Fish, salmon, Atlantic, farmed, cooked, dry heat 1.457 0.69
    Fish, salmon, Atlantic, wild, cooked, dry heat 1.429 0.411
    Fish, roe, mixed species, raw 1.363 0.983
    Fish, shad, American, raw 1.321 1.086
    Fish, anchovy, European, canned in oil, drained solids 1.292 0.763
    Fish, whitefish, mixed species, cooked, dry heat 1.206 0.406
    Fish, mackerel, Pacific and jack, mixed species, cooked, dry heat 1.195 0.653
    Fish, herring, Atlantic, kippered 1.179 0.97
    Fish, tuna, fresh, bluefin, cooked, dry heat 1.141 0.363
    Fish, herring, Atlantic, cooked, dry heat 1.105 0.909
    Fish, mackerel, Spanish, cooked, dry heat 0.952 0.294
    Fish, sablefish, smoked 0.945 0.891
    Fish, sablefish, cooked, dry heat 0.92 0.867
    Fish, anchovy, European, raw 0.911 0.538
    Fish, herring, Pacific, cooked, dry heat 0.883 1.242
    Fish, salmon, coho, farmed, cooked, dry heat 0.871 0.408
    Fish, trout, rainbow, farmed, cooked, dry heat 0.82 0.334
    Fish, salmon, pink, cooked, dry heat 0.751 0.537
    Fish, bass, striped, cooked, dry heat 0.75 0.217
    Fish, tilefish, cooked, dry heat 0.733 0.172
    Fish, salmon, Chinook, cooked, dry heat 0.727 1.01
    Fish, salmon, chum, drained solids with bone 0.702 0.473
    Fish, salmon, sockeye, cooked, dry heat 0.7 0.53
    Fish, mackerel, Atlantic, cooked, dry heat 0.699 0.504
    Fish, swordfish, cooked, dry heat 0.681 0.138
    Fish, trout, mixed species, cooked, dry heat 0.677 0.259
    Fish, bluefish, cooked, dry heat 0.665 0.323
    Fish, salmon, coho, wild, cooked, dry heat 0.658 0.401
    Fish, tuna, white, canned in water, drained solids 0.629 0.233
    Fish, sea bass, mixed species, cooked, dry heat 0.556 0.206
    Fish, smelt, rainbow, cooked, dry heat 0.536 0.353
    Fish, shark, mixed species, raw 0.527 0.316
    Fish, spot, cooked, dry heat 0.526 0.282
    Fish, trout, rainbow, wild, cooked, dry heat 0.52 0.468
    Fish, sardine, Atlantic, canned in oil, drained solids with bone 0.509 0.473
    Mollusks, mussel, blue, cooked, moist heat 0.506 0.276
    Fish, salmon, chum, cooked, dry heat 0.505 0.299
    Fish, halibut, Greenland, cooked, dry heat 0.504 0.674
    Mollusks, oyster, Pacific, cooked, moist heat 0.5 0.876
    Fish, bass, freshwater, mixed species, cooked, dry heat 0.458 0.305
    Fish, pollock, Atlantic, cooked, dry heat 0.451 0.091
    Fish, wolffish, Atlantic, cooked, dry heat 0.405 0.393
John34
Contributor
Contributor

Post by John34 »

Hi Guys, great info here!

Is there anything more known about this: "Depending on the kind of fish, up to one third of the EPA and DHA content might exist in the form of PLs". Do we know for which of the above items the 1/3 ratio apply to? I assume that 1/3 is the fraction of the advertised DHA that is DHA-PL for some fish but for many others the ratio could be a lot smaller ... maybe as small as 1/10?

Also how much DHA-PL do we (APOE4s) need to consume daily to support our brains? i just started looking into DHA supplementation and I can't find a solid answer anywhere.

Finally can anybody share which option they are actually implementing for DHA-PL supplementation? I am currently leaning toward 2 cans of these daily:

and 4 of these daily:
https://happyegg.co/2019/01/18/free-ran ... rown-eggs/

I found that sardines were measured by Dr Berg in this video to have 788 mg of total DHA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STZg0R7p_NM

I would be very interested in seeing how others are addressing their DHA-PL needs. Thank you guys,

John
jw25
New User
New User

Post by jw25 »

bladedmind wrote: $7 per gram -WE&S Herring Gold (Romega 50)
It looks like this one is also Romega 30 from the supplement facts image here:

Here is another Romega 30 that appears to be directly distributed by the ingredient manufacturer:

I haven't been able to find any Romega 50 in supplement form. Have you seen any available outside the US? (I wonder if it could be imported)

There are certain hypothetical downsides to high dose Omega 3 supplementation in general (eg shortened life in a number of animal studies, the best of which is https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 014-9659-7). Given the evidence suggests a high dose of DHA is needed for APOE4, I think it's crucial to minimize the % of Omega 3 that is NOT beneficial
KendrahB
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KendrahB »

jw25 wrote:There are certain hypothetical downsides to high dose Omega 3 supplementation in general (eg shortened life in a number of animal studies, the best of which is https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 014-9659-7). Given the evidence suggests a high dose of DHA is needed for APOE4, I think it's crucial to minimize the % of Omega 3 that is NOT beneficial
Hi jw25! I saw this was your first post and wanted to welcome you to the forum. I am one of the Support Team Interns, facilitating use of the forums, providing support, and answering questions where I can. You sound very knowledgeable on Omega 3s and found the above post really helpful personally. We appreciate your contribution! If you are interested, you can visit the Our Stories page and introduce yourself. For more information about the site and it’s functions, please visit the Wikki which has a plethora of resources as well as information for easing use within the forum, such as how to hyperlink and how to private message (How To). If you have any other inquiries, please don’t hesitate to ask!
Kendrah
lumia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lumia »

I'm under the impression that Natural Factors discontinued Herring Gold (WE&S' website no longer lists Herring Gold). Then I wonder what would be the best choice these days?

And you think how much PL-Omega should we take? 1g/day by free fatty acid, or 1g/day by conjugated fatty acid?
lumia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lumia »

bladedmind wrote: A. Salmon Roe
https://www.vitalchoice.com/product/soc ... h-divider?
$129 per 2.2 lbs., 35 oz.
1 oz contains
400 mg DHA
400 mg EPA

https://www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/13/11/15401/htm
Fish roe from herring, salmon, pollock, and flying fish contain between 38%–75% of their lipids in the form of PLs with PC being the predominant lipid class
Salmon roe: 38% in phospholipid form. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 4604008106

DHA-PL from salmon roe per ounce = 40% X 400 = 160 mg X 34 = 5440 mg
5.44 gram for $129
$23.71 per gram
The Japanese government's Standard Table of Food Compositions in Japan lists Ikura (Page 8--you can just use a keyword search since the English name is also listed) is about 3.3% total Omega-3, and 2% DHA, by weight. Note by Japanese standards, ikura must come from chum (keta) salmon.

By this standard, 1 oz (34 g) of ikura-style salmon roe contains 34g * 2% * 38% or 258.4 mg of DHA that are bounded to PC--I won't use the term PC-DHA since PC has a higher molecular weight than free DHA, which means the content of PC-DHA would be quite a bit higher.