swfowkes post from 23andme

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
swfowkes
Contributor
Contributor

Re: swfowkes post from 23andme

Post by swfowkes »

[quote="SpunkyPup"]"mitochondrial function"

NAC supports and the recycling of glutathione is what we want to encourage.

Actually, NAC may or may not support the recycling of glutathione. I do not think the answer to that question is clear, yet. NAC and L-cysteine are definitely precursors to glutathione and support its biosynthesis, but they are also glutathione mimics which potentially drive the glutathione negative-feedback loop. So while I agree with you and the citation that NAC / cysteine are effective short-term ways to improve glutathione status, I have my doubts that they are sustainable over timeframes a month or years. I use cysteine and NAC for alcohol-toxicity mitigation, for example. It's a fabulous way to prevent or minimize the day-after hangover or malaise. And they had significant medium-term benefits when stacked with vitamin C in mitigating formaldehyde toxicity following the premature opening of the new earthquake-resistant Oakland High School many decades ago (both teachers and students). But most of the research validating NAC/cysteine's sustainability involve red and white blood cells,, both of which do not necessarily track with the cell-glutathione status of brain, heart, liver and kidney, and often track oppositely. Companies selling NAC and glutathione will never mention this to you, but caveat emptor.