A Movie for the Gutsy Ones?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

A Movie for the Gutsy Ones?

Post by circular »

Coming in 2015 the movie adaptation of Still Alice.

"This is the story of a successful woman who slowly starts experiencing the first signs of Alzheimer’s disease. As she navigates through the memory loss and moments of confusion she learns how to make the most of her time while she can. Starring the always incredible Julianne Moore, the movie hits to theaters January 16."

That doesn't sound like they'll feature much in the way of prevention! Anyone read the book?

http://www.bustle.com/articles/53448-20 ... films-come
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: A Movie for the Gutsy Ones?

Post by Julie G »

God, yes- before I knew of my risk. I'm still trying to get it out of my head. Just my perspective, but this is one movie I'll skip.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Juliegee wrote:God, yes- before I knew of my risk. I'm still trying to get it out of my head. Just my perspective, but this is one movie I'll skip.
ditto.
don't wanna know
certainly not entertainment
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

The book is written by a neuroscientist, so she does incorporate the usual medical care with early-onset AD due to one of the Presenilin genes. Of her three kids, one of her daughters had the gene, the other refused testing. This daughter was able to select out the gene with IVF pregnancy. The movie will bring more awareness to family tragedy of AD. But Cir, you're correct that this woman at the height of an intellectually challenging career, a runner, succumbs to her genetic destiny. I question if the public will generalize that this rare gene causes most AD, thus have a nihilistic attitude towards prevention.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

My neighbor lent me this book. It is a tough read for anyone with loved ones with AD or facing the unknown future, so probably tough for just about anyone here. It might help some understand that AD is not just an old person's disease but I wonder how many people really want to pay money to sit through this story.
tesslo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tesslo »

I think I will skip unless it is on Netflix....I recently watched "Still Mine" which was about a woman who was having "memory" problems but I do not think she was ever diagnosed with AD but it was apparent she was having major functioning problems. It shows how they adapted which was basically moving to a single story house (she fell several times) which was also smaller , so her husband could take care of her. It was touching and very loving true story. She lived to be in her late 90's and I believe still alive! She would ask the same question several times within a short period of time and the husband just answered with slight variations to his answer. She was giving him a hair cut and then stop right in the middle of it forgetting what she was doing. The most annoying thing for him I believe was her recall of an affair he had....she asked him how the lady was and he said "she died 30 years ago" ;) They lived on a huge farm so I am not sure about lifestyle changes that would help but that is just an assumption on my part.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

The husband in Still Alice is facing the dilemma of being an AD caregiver vs career mobility, choosing the latter, as meanwhile the wayward daughter rekindles her relationship with her mom and becomes the caregiver. Despite her AD, she still contributes and retains her values, so it's more about family dynamics and accepting disability.
tesslo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tesslo »

ABSOLUTELY

In still mine the children wanted their mother in a "facility" not the husband who stood strong however the children came around.

I worked in a hospital where I had to make the decision sometimes about the "fate" (danger to self or others) of a client and usually I wound up protecting them from their family if they did not have a "living trust" or directive.
Hint...a lot of it had to do with money and wanting the person out of the way ...really. Money Monsters...the nature of the beast
RedNailz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RedNailz »

I'm a little late to this thread, but since my dad and I were just discussing whether or not to see the movie "Still Alice," I thought I'd chime in. My dad, who rarely reads books (and certainly not fiction), got the book from someone in his AD support group. He read it and passed it to me. At the time, we were caring for my mom who has AD. I thought the book was good, but it didn't make a huge impact on me. For my dad, it provided some much needed perspective on how my mom could have been feeling.

As for the movie, Dad thinks it may be too much to take. I am neutral about it, and offered to see it with him.

The AD movie that really got to me was "Iris."
4/4
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

At 9 pm last night, I read an article about the movie. It made me feel sad, but I was sure I'd want to see it. I had no idea how triggered I really was until I couldn't get to sleep. After tossing and turning in bed for an hour, getting out of bed and processing my dark feelings, and then taking Klonopin to knock myself out, I finally fell asleep around 1:30. Then, I woke up ravenous at 6:30 and knew I wouldn't be getting anymore sleep today.

So on five hours of sleep, I feel really crappy. And I'm no longer sure I want to see that movie.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!