Is Bone Broth okay for E4?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
rep
Contributor
Contributor

Is Bone Broth okay for E4?

Post by rep »

I know that I need to reduce the amount of red meat I eat but is beef bone broth from grass fed animals okay? I'm the one with high LDL-p and the calcium score that doubled in one year. Please note that I was NOT consuming bone broth until very recently so it couldn't have played into my lab results.

I have an Instant Pot (love it) so it's pretty easy to make and it supplies nutrition you just can't get otherwise. It's high in glycine and makes minerals that are easily absorbed, especially magnesium.

Here is today's article about bone broth in the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/07/dinin ... ailed&_r=0
RichardS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Is Bone Broth okay for E4?

Post by RichardS »

I also love my new Instant Pot - about to put in some sweet potatoes.

I don't have any studies to quote, but I cannot imagine bone broth being a problem in fighting CAC and high LDL-P. There are a lot of people on the internet claiming bone broth to be a miracle food, but the well-designed clinical studies on it are far and few between. That said, I try to include some very concentrated bone broth in my weekly diet usually in the forms of broccoli soup and parboiled rice.

Separately, I would not buy into the "gut healing" glycine argument. The only clinical study I could find fed almost abusive amounts of glycine (that you could never get from broth) to the participants of whom something like half or more dropped out from side effects. If broth is gut healing, it looks like it is much more than the glycine.
Last edited by RichardS on Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

I think its fine honey. I also dont think its the miracle food its touted, but a nice filling innocuous food.
Make sure to take the fat off...
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Not sure if it's true or of consequence, but I recall reading somewhere that it has an acidic effect on the body. I tend to think the body alkaline/acid stuff might be faux science, but I really don't know so thought I'd mention this.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
ABrain4Me
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by ABrain4Me »

Bone broths can be very high in histamine (aged bones and meat, slow cooked), and I found myself breaking out in rashes from eating this supposed health tonic. Some people cook the bones for 3 days, to supposedly get more minerals and collagen into the broth-- this makes it even higher histamine. Discovered a have homozygous and heterozygous mutations in DAO enzyme (not reported on 23&me), and figured out source of my rashes. I try to eat mostly very fresh meats and produce, and now skip the bone broths.
Do they have a negative impact on E4's-- probably not.