Curcumin's ability to fight Alzheimer's studied

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
RichardS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Curcumin's ability to fight Alzheimer's studied

Post by RichardS »

To work around the problems of giving the drug intravenously, the researchers decided to develop an atomizer to generate a curcumin aerosol.
OK, boys and girls, no snorting curcumin...
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Awwww.....
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LillyBritches »

RichardS wrote:OK, boys and girls, no snorting curcumin...
Too late.
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Again more evidence that Curcumin might lessen amyloid if can pass the BBB. At first, I was on Longvita, but as I'm dosing for 3 now (mom, husband & myself), over $120/mo seemed pricey. Others have time-released and black pepper to increase the absorption:

On the other hand, while my mom is on Jarrow's Curcumin, went from reading just magazines and newspapers to competing full books again. "That orange pills really gives me energy". My husband completes a book every day and is writing a book now. Then, there's me, still searching for the perfect Curcumin…

Any recommendations?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

So cool about your Mom, Kit. I had a very similar reaction with more energy. (That was the general consensus in the mast cell activation community.) Additionally, a brain fog lifted for me and widespread aches and pains disappeared. Of all of my supplements, curcumin has yielded the most noticeable improvement. Very nice to see it being looked at more closely.

FWIW, I use Terry Naturally's CuraMed, 750 mg. It probably won't save you any money, but it does the trick. You can get it at both Amazon and Vitacost: http://www.terrynaturallyvitamins.com/curamed-750-mg/
marp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marp »

Thinking about curcumin crossing the BBB, would it help if the molecule was attached to a lipid?

I've been thinking about the best ways to take curcumin. Grind fresh turmeric with back pepper in olive or palm oil? Is it better cooked/heated?? Better as a supplement or fresh?

Thanks for thoughts from others on how they take it. Great to hear that it has benefits for Alzheimers as well as cancer.

I still can't work our why the nasal spray is better than intravenous, isn't the BBB and Blood/CSF barrier the same throughout? Even then doesn't the intravenous dose get to the capillaries in the nasal passages anyway?

Adding later;
... well it didn't take too long to find out that fresh turmeric doesn't contain significant amounts of curcumin, (for cancer prevention or treatment). I'm always looking for ways to have these things in a non-supplement way so as to get the benefits from any other yet unknown molecules in the natural product.
RichardS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RichardS »

Others have time-released and black pepper to increase the absorption
I read that study using the black pepper. It seems that it works by competing with the liver enzymes that metabolize the curcumin, thus making it last longer in your body. However, anything else you take in that requires those enzymes may have the same effect with potentially nasty consequences. Since I am on multiple supplements and a couple of prescription meds, I've decided to pass on the pepper addition to my curcumin regimen and deal with the added expense.

Let's be careful out there.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Thanks Richard. I will try Julies's brand. I did not realize the mechanism of action for black pepper to boost curcumin levels, involved potentially compromising the liver.
marp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marp »

I found this interesting older blog on increasing bioavailability of curcumin, (written by a non-scientist)

Once I got reading it, it seemed that the was some good reliability to what the author was writing. It was interesting to see that she made changes to the way she took curcumin and then was able to make comparison with his 'IgG numbers'. She also came up with the potential problems of combining curcumin and bioperine.

Such massive doses for cancer treatment, 8 g a day!