Hormone Replacement Therapy E4 Women

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hormone Replacement Therapy E4 Women

Post by LillyBritches »

I'd even go so far to say that if you're an ApoE4 menopausal or recently post-menopausal female, you're very foolish to not begin bio-identical HRT (especially estradiol). Dr. Trutt is my personal physician, and it looks like Silverlining has spoken to him, as well. And as SilverL has stated, Dr. Trutt does, indeed, feel very strongly about ApoE4 women starting, and remaining indefinitely, on HRT.

That's right. I asked him flat-out during our last phone appointment how long I could remain on it. He said, point blank, "indefinitely."

And I will. Yes, I will.

Here's the thing: Trutt tested my telomeres, as well as my immune system, about four-five months after, like Julie, I *BOOM* went through the change (Menopause happens in a split second, so you're never really "menopausal"; you're either peri- or post-menopausal) extremely quickly and can pinpoint when it happened. Trutt hemmed and hawed and said, well, your telomeres are not horribly short; they're more like average, but it doesn't make sense to me because your immune system is literally spectacular. [It made perfect sense to me, though: accelerated aging and shortened telomeres are a specific e4 issue for post-menopausal women.] I've never seen an immune system like yours in someone your age. He further explained that he places much more faith in the immune system being predictive re longevity and how fast you're aging rather than telomeres. Having said that, he continued that ApoE4 females must try to keep their telomeres as long as possible...and there's two ways to do that: take TA-65 and start HRT (estradiol).

Now, some may poo-poo TA-65 because there's only been positive results with mice studies. BUT Dr. Trutt is involved either in the middle of a human study with TA-65 or he just completed it...and it looks very promising.

Here's the thing - I'm not messing around with not taking TA-65 while I wait for it to translate positively from rodentia to humans. I'm taking it.

And I'm so not surprised that my telomeres (some long, some short) meld into average. After all, I'm freakin' 4/4. We ApoE4 sisters age with great acceleration the minute we stop producing - you got it - ESTROGEN. Estrogen is what keeps our lil' ol' 4 telomeres intact.

I knew I was going to do HRT the minute I read this, to me, landmark study:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 173122.htm

I mean, what more evidence do we need? Is it a small study? Yes. But what OTHER study is currently dealing with female ApoE4s, their aging process, and dementia/AD prevention? So. 3/4 (and, more significantly, 4/4) peri-/post-menopausal women...please consider getting on bio-identical HRT.

My mom is 3/4 and never took HRT at all (fear of cancer). And she's 93 1/2 and experienced no true breakdown of her biomechanics until her late 80s. HOWEVER - and this is a BIG however to me - on 23andme, her three SNPs out of four point to her having long telomeres...and the fourth is average. So even though she's only 3/4, she's got a tendency towards long telomeres. See? It's not clear cut. I see it as a mel"d"ing pot, as it were.

I, on the other hand, am double 4 with two SNPs that go to long telomeres, one average, and one short. And that pretty much played out in my actual telomere test results.

So I'm banking on TA-65 and estradiol (and exercise - yes - cardio can lengthen telomeres) to lengthen, and keep lengthened, my "average" telomeres...while my really good immune system attacks any toxicity trying to pass my feeble BBB and, when it's done with that, maybe that ol' immune system will have a little energy left to destroy the AB and tau.

At least, that's what researchers are postulating.

Oh, yes. I know an overactive immune system can cause a horrendous anti-inflammatory response. I queried Trutt about that. He kind of laughed: "Lillianne, that's if you have a bad auto-immune disease. Your great immune system isn't going to be overactive. It's just going to do its job and rid you of toxins and anything harmful that could harm you or compromise your health."

So, there ya go, sisters. I say take it all. Hit this shit from ALL angles. Who cares what sticks and what doesn't?

Frankly, my mind is worth it. Don't really care what ammo is effective and what isn't...or how many different types of weapons I have to fire to render any hint of AD/dementia/Parkinson's dead and six feet under.

Until I'm six feet under. :)
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

FWIW, Dr. Perlmutter echoes Dr. Trutt's position on HRT for 4/4 post-menopausal women because of it's neuro-protective properties. He also advises HRT for life; I'm fully on board and am working to optimize estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone.

BUT, if I recall correctly, our Starfish (4/4, 75+, cognitively intact :D ) doesn't take HRT. Gina, how about your Mom (4/4, 95+, cognitively intact)? I'm adding all of the descriptors for new readers. IMO, it's important to get opinions from experts, read the current research, AND look at the women we know who've avoided the negative impacts of 4/4.

I like the research on TA-65. It looks especially good for folks like me, who show high levels of the CMV antibody. Now, I need to convince my husband that our son doesn't really need to go to college; Momma needs a new pill ;) That stuff is PRICEY. Lilly, do you know the four SNPs that indicate telomere length?

Out of curiosity, HOW did Dr. Trutt assess your immune system?
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Oh my, and no time to read the article. I wonder if supplements help redress or not, and if so, specifically what estrogen. No doubt a long time before that's known!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Gina99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gina99 »

Lilly, Amen to that! How do you know how your good your immune system is? My allergist said I see no signs of an immune issue in you.

Julie, my mom doesn't even know what HRT is. ;) So no, she didn't. Did I mention my mother has the mild form of hemochromatosis? Wonder how her iron level is and what role does that play. Never been diagnosed, just checked those genes. My sis, Premarin 5-10 years only and a ton of Predisone. When she stopped the premarin, she wen't down hill fast, I swear. Coincidence? Idk. When I missed my estradiol for two days I had hand tremors, doc said "Don't do that".
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

if you have esterol dominance or imbalance hot flashes etc try DIMplus it will also work for men to prevent T conversion to estradriol.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Cruciferous veggies likely do the job as well as DIM.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I think after reading the discussion at this link of telomere length I'll hold off on anything other than an anti-inflammatory diet and exercise to address it. It seems the devil is always in the details?

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-tall ... z31upM6eKp
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

Gilgamesh wrote:Cruciferous veggies likely do the job as well as DIM.
neverget the concentration by just eating, make sure you eat organic stuff!

just read the reviews of the product, some doctors are even recommending it.
my psa went down a lot too as did others.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

SpunkyPup wrote: neverget the concentration by just eating
No, not "never". But you'd have to eat at least 500-600 g, I believe (which I do daily). But I'll doublecheck that.
SpunkyPup wrote: make sure you eat organic stuff!
Not so important with cabbage, which has very low pesticide residue (just toss the outermost leaves).

GB
krlentz

Post by krlentz »

If this has been addressed in an earlier post, I apologize -

I have the Factor V blood clot risk. I have the heterozygous mutation. No one in my extended family has ever had a blood clot. Nevertheless, my doctor will not renew my bio hrt and I doubt I could fine anyone who would. Taking matters into my own hand, I ordered some cream type products. The one I use contains .25 mg estradiol and 1 mg estriol. I use 2x - so I get .5 mg estradiol and 2 mg estriol daily. I also use a progesterone product from the same source.

Does anyone have any information (or an opinion) as to whether this dosage and the delivery method is enough to make a difference? I'm sure it's not "sufficient" to bring my levels back premenopausal levels.