Hormone Replacement Therapy E4 Women

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
jkramer65
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hormone Replacement Therapy E4 Women

Post by jkramer65 »

Thanks! I will look at all of your links. Much appreciated. I am trying to take solace in the fact that my mom has a copy of e4 and hasn't gotten AD or even MCI at the age of almost 92. There is no evidence of memory loss on her side. I hope I follow in her footsteps. The funny thing is she lived a completely sedintary, marginal diet, smoked for 50 years, drank like a fish life. My dad exercised every day, ate an incredibly healthy diet and barely drank. Yet he got AD. It is a crazy world! I have my theories about it all but they are just theories.

Thanks again!
Lulu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lulu »

Hello, Its been a while for me to post anything, but I recently started on bhrt (so here I am!!!). Doc tested my estradiol levels and they are quite low. So, I am now on Topical biest (50/50) with cycled oral progesterone. I'm on this protocol almost 3 weeks now, my sleep has not improved that much, still having a few hot flashes. Hoping this stuff kicks in soon, ugh!!

I'm wondering about Dr. Ann Hathaway's slide presentation, I tried clicking on it and I got the message, File not Found. Is it still available for view somewhere? I seem to remember her recommending calcium d glucarate for estrogen metabolism, which I take, but I'm wondering if it's causing my estrogen levels to stay low. If anyone could help me view that slide presentation again, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

Lulu wrote:I'm wondering about Dr. Ann Hathaway's slide presentation, I tried clicking on it and I got the message, File not Found. Is it still available for view somewhere?
Lulu--I was able to access the slides here:
download/file.php?id=1504

Does this link work for you?
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
Lulu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lulu »

Hi Julie,

Thanks so much, the link worked fine, I really appreciate it! Now if I can just get these hormones to work!
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Lulu wrote: I seem to remember her recommending calcium d glucarate for estrogen metabolism, which I take, but I'm wondering if it's causing my estrogen levels to stay low. If anyone could help me view that slide presentation again, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!
I was placed on calcium d glucarate when my estrone levels were too high on bHRT. Not sure the calcium d glucate is needed if one has appropriately low levels of estrone. Luckily for me, my estrone when down when I stopped DHEA, with the guidance of my FM MD. Two less supplements!

Hope you can find what you're looking for in the slide deck.
Slacker
E4/E4
Lulu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lulu »

Hi Slacker,

Yes, I found in the presentation, Dr Hathaway's recommendation to use Calcium d glucarate in order to lower estrone levels. Looking at my last labs, my estradiol levels are way below range, and the estrone is maybe just a bit above range, as is the estriol. So, the calcium dg is good for me from that standpoint. I'm just wondering why I'm not having relief of symptoms yet. Sigh.

My labs also showed I was low in Vitamin D (I was only at 25), so I'm on a 5000 mg per day regimen now. I know to take Vit K2 with it to ensure that the raised calcium goes into bone and not soft tissue. What I just found out yesterday is that high supplementation of Vit D also requires supplementing with magnesium (or the Vitamin D will not be metabolized) I checked my multivitamin (organic, designed for women over 40), and it barely has any magnesium. So, I started with magnesium again last night and I think it improved my sleep a bit. I'm hoping this is the answer to my insomnia problem. I rarely struggle to fall asleep, but always seem to wake around 3 - 3:30. Its such a pain!

I don't think my estradiol level has raised that much in 3 weeks because I'm still having hot flashes, but I'm going to address this with my doc. She's an integrative doc, but I'm scratching my head that she didn't mention taking K2 and magnesium along with the 5000 mg of Vitamin D. From what I'm reading, it's a necessity!
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Lulu, you might consider including vitamin A and zinc as well. This article explains why:

Nutritional Adjuncts to the Fat-Soluble Vitamins

I think of A, D, K2, magnesium, and zinc as a complex that work together synergistically.
Lulu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lulu »

Marc,

Thanks so much for this information, very helpful!! I try to eat sweet potatoes twice per week, so good Vitamin A there, and I take zinc daily to help with zinc / copper balance. So adding the magnesium is the missing piece, but this is a great article, and I appreciate your sharing it! :)
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Lulu wrote:
Yes, I found in the presentation, Dr Hathaway's recommendation to use Calcium d glucarate in order to lower estrone levels. Looking at my last labs, my estradiol levels are way below range, and the estrone is maybe just a bit above range, as is the estriol. So, the calcium dg is good for me from that standpoint. I'm just wondering why I'm not having relief of symptoms yet. Sigh.
You are getting 50% of estradiol and 50% of estriol in your biest 50/50. As long has your estradiol is "way below range", you may still have menopausal symptoms. Or maybe you are talking about estradiol levels prior to starting treatment? It can take a while to get the right balance.
Slacker
E4/E4
progranulindefect
Contributor
Contributor

Post by progranulindefect »

"Since women are 2/3 of the AD patients, the disparity may be explained in part by the sudden decline in estrogen at menopause. Estrogen is necessary to metabolize lipids. If there isn't enough estrogen, the brain goes into starvation mode and starts to metabolize myelin for fuel."

I would be interested to know if it is possible to observe rate of estrogen decline in relationship to AD. Specifically, we know that women who go through surgical menopause have a swifter decline in estrogen and this swifter decline is associated with higher rates of AD. My question is- for women who go through menopause naturally, can we make out if some women's estrogen declines more slowly than other's? If we can ascertain rate of decline, can we observe that a slower decline in estrogen levels is somehow more protective against AD? Lastly, if a slower decline in estrogen is in fact protective, is there a way to mimic a slower rate in decline of estrogen in women who seem to have a faster rate of decline?