If you use a device running an Android version prior to 7.1.1, beginning January 11 your access from that device to this site and many others will be impaired. For details and solutions, see this topic.

Hormone Replacement Therapy E4 Women

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
UFGirl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hormone Replacement Therapy E4 Women

Postby UFGirl » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:04 am

Hi! I am a longtime lurker/reader but haven't posted. I have read through a lot of the hormone replacement therapy threads including Stavia's report on the San Diego Meetup from 2017 and was just wondering if Ann Hathaway's lecture from this event is still the most recent protocol/science on HRT and where we are as a group? Thanks! This forum has really been incredible as someone who has multiple relatives who have had Alzheimer's including my mom who just recently died.

Renlets
Support Team Intern
Support Team Intern

Postby Renlets » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:54 pm

UFGirl wrote:Hi! I am a longtime lurker/reader but haven't posted. I have read through a lot of the hormone replacement therapy threads including Stavia's report on the San Diego Meetup from 2017 and was just wondering if Ann Hathaway's lecture from this event is still the most recent protocol/science on HRT and where we are as a group? Thanks! This forum has really been incredible as someone who has multiple relatives who have had Alzheimer's including my mom who just recently died.

Hi UFGirl,
I would like to extend a special welcome to you and thank you for taking that first step to post. My condolences to you on the passing of your mom, I wish you healing and strength.

I am sure someone on the Forum with a deeper knowledge of HRT will respond to your question. However, it might make things easier and quicker to get a respond if you go back to the HRT thread to ask a question there and even tag the person that talked about the lecture. This way, that person will get the message and respond quickly with what they know. To learn how to engage on the Forum and tag others the How-to-guide will be helpful.
Since you have been a reader on the site, I am sure you know a few of our tools like the Primer , which is written by one of the member physicians and the WIKI to research various topics. If you haven’t explored them yet, do check them out you will get additional insightful information there as well.

Keep well and engaged.

RenLets

UFGirl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby UFGirl » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:11 pm

Hi RenLets,
Thanks so much! Can you link me to the HRT thread? I thought this was the one. Thanks again!

NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Postby NF52 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:02 pm

UFGirl wrote:Hi RenLets,
Thanks so much! Can you link me to the HRT thread? I thought this was the one. Thanks again!

Welcome, UFGirl!
I am one year older than you and carry two copies of ApoE4, so know that for our generation, the question of hormones is of high interest--and considerable variation in approach. You are on the right thread, though! (And also the longest, by far.) I thought you might be interested in this excerpt from a 2020 article by Drs. Yu Jin Kim and Roberta Brinton of the University of Arizona.
Precision hormone therapy: gaps and opportunities
Age and response to HT
The impact of age on HT response is illustrated in two studies. In a randomized longitudinal study of postmenopausal women with a mean age of 57.7 year, impact of HT on an indicator of aging, telomere length, was investigated [24].
Outcomes of these analyses on a biomarker of aging biology indicated that APOE-e4 carriers had marked telomere
attrition during the 2-year study window which was equivalent to approximately one decade of additional aging compared to non-carriers. Further analyses revealed a modulatory effect of HT on the association between APOE status and telomere attrition. APOE-e4 carriers who continued HT during the 2 year trial sustained telomere length and did not exhibit signs of aging, whereas women who discontinued HT telomere length shortened consistent with accelerated aging [24]. Women who did not carry the APOE4 allele exhibited no protective effect of HT on telomere length [24]. The impact of HT in APOE4 positive women in the Nurses’ Health Study indicated that cognitive function in 70–81 year old APOE4 carriers currently using HT was associated with a slight increase in rate of decline [25]...From a clinical perspective, precision HT is critical to delivering personalized medicine for management of menopausal symptoms and bridging the gap between health span
and life span in postmenopausal women. Achieving precision HT requires inclusion of multiple factors including age,
genetic risk factors, symptomatic phenotype and clinical history

https://gremjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/03_Brinton.pdf

Dr. Brinton received a $ 37.5 million grant from the National Institutes on Aging in the fall of 2019 for a Phase 2 study of the safety and efficicacy (effectiveness) of allopregnanolone, which Alz Forum calls a "neurosteroid metabolite of progesterone" https://www.alzforum.org/therapeutics/allopregnanolone, so expect to hear more about ways to help the brain with hormones in the next few years.
4/4 and still an optimist!

UFGirl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby UFGirl » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:47 pm

Hi NF52,

Thank you for the links! I am going to go check these out. A lot of women in my family (on my mom's side) going back generations have had Alzheimer's/dementia. While I know taking HRT is not a magic bullet, so far in my family research, none of these women that had Alzheimer's/dementia had taken HRT for any length of time...I am just trying to plug all the holes I can!

Return to “Prevention and Treatment”