Olive Oil is BAD for Us????? Opinions on Esselstyn

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Fidel
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Olive Oil is BAD for Us????? Opinions on Esselstyn

Post by Fidel »

Juliegee wrote: I DID supplement with potassium and didn't do well. My already low BP dropped too low :shock: For me, serum levels trump cron-o-meter results. Sounds like you're doing OK supplementing. Out of curiosity, did your serum levels ever run low or did you begin supplementing based on cron-o-meter evidence?
My serum levels of potassium have not shown up low, nor was i shorting based on cron-o-meter. Am not even sure that i'm sodium chloride sensitive, but we need more potassium than we do sodium, so it seems like a good idea to salt with KCl rather than NaCl, and i find the taste about as good. So potassium can cause a drop in BP or were you replacing Na with K like i am and getting a lower BP from less Na? I've always had a nice, low BP, even when i was salting with NaCl.
3/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Fidel,

I have supplemented with large quantities of K+(4-8g/day), for reasons related to heart rhythm. It really has done nothing to change my blood pressure. In Moore's book http://www.amazon.com/High-Blood-Pressu ... 0892819758 he suggests a 4:1 ratio or better of K+ to Na+ will signal the kidney to excrete sodium and lower blood pressure. Reducing serum insulin levels will also do this. Hence the reason to supplement with sodium on the induction phase of a low carb diet (so much sodium can be excreted that the body will also excrete potassium trying to keep balance - this can lead to the low carb "flu").
Tincup
E3,E4
Fidel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fidel »

GeorgeN wrote:Fidel,

I have supplemented with large quantities of K+(4-8g/day), for reasons related to heart rhythm. It really has done nothing to change my blood pressure. In Moore's book http://www.amazon.com/High-Blood-Pressu ... 0892819758 he suggests a 4:1 ratio or better of K+ to Na+ will signal the kidney to excrete sodium and lower blood pressure. Reducing serum insulin levels will also do this. Hence the reason to supplement with sodium on the induction phase of a low carb diet (so much sodium can be excreted that the body will also excrete potassium trying to keep balance - this can lead to the low carb "flu").
Based on what you say, it's probably good that i'm salting with KCl because my heart rhythm gets screwy at times. Do you supplement with Mg as well? Somewhere i saw someone post that supplementing with Mg for a while corrected his heart rhythm issues altogether. I bought MgCl crystals a while back that i planned to use to make tofu. Never did that but i started to add the stuff to some recipes before cooking and i think that possibly does help keep my heart rhythm stable. Also have CaCl which i first bought for tofu and pickle making, and i ended up adding bits of that to cooking dishes as well. Anyone reading this, don't eat food sprinkled with CaCl because it can burn your throat badly :o , but adding a little to a cooking dish can work.
3/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Fidel wrote:Do you supplement with Mg as well? Somewhere i saw someone post that supplementing with Mg for a while corrected his heart rhythm issues altogether. I bought MgCl crystals a while back that i planned to use to make tofu. Never did that but i started to add the stuff to some recipes before cooking and i think that possibly does help keep my heart rhythm stable. Also have CaCl which i first bought for tofu and pickle making, and i ended up adding bits of that to cooking dishes as well. Anyone reading this, don't eat food sprinkled with CaCl because it can burn your throat badly :o , but adding a little to a cooking dish can work.
I supplement extensively with Mg++. to the tune of 3-4.5 g/day of Mg++ in various forms (to bowel tolerance). Has worked to significantly keep my heart in remission from idopathic afib brought on by chronic fitness for 10 1/2 years. The last part of the trio is 4g/day of taurine.
Tincup
E3,E4
Fidel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fidel »

One could make the argument that i could benefit from taurine as well, being a vegan who gets little of it, but it doesn't fit into my low sulfur diet. Hopefully i'm eating just enough sulfur for my body to make whatever taurine it needs.
3/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

I assume there is a benefit to low sulfur. It is new to me and Wahls emphasizes it in her protocol.
Tincup
E3,E4
Fidel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fidel »

Apparently there is evidence of both beneficial and harmful effects from sulfide gas in the colon. I lean in the direction of seeing it as harmful. While carbohydrate metabolites such as short chain fatty acids are beneficial, protein metabolites can be harmful. Recently i've bumped up intake of protein and am not sure it's the greatest idea because that increases my sulfur load from the amino acids methionine and cysteine. Half of the population doesn't have the type of bacteria that produces sulfide, and they don't need to be as concerned because of that. The rest of us can reduce the numbers of those bacteria by eating less sulfury food, and reducing the pH in our colon. Too much protein can increase pH in the colon due to alkaline metabolites like ammonia.
3/4