CONFERENCE The Role of Nutrition in Dementia Prevention and Management March 26 - 27, 2015

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Surfrank57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: CONFERENCE The Role of Nutrition in Dementia Prevention and Management March 26 - 27, 2015

Postby Surfrank57 » Sat May 28, 2016 1:54 pm

Circ do u lift weights, age, and what do u do for cardio? How many calories a day do you consume and what is your macro percentage. Finally on HRT, or any other steroid / hormone type meds? Belly fat is the last to go and just because your skinny elsewhere does not mean it's an automatic. Also when u say belly fat are you saying you wants abs, a flat stomach or just to reduce more belly fat? I have seen women get very lean and still have belly fat because they did not have enough total muscle mass when they cut / dieted and the metabolism just slows down to a crawl.
Frank

circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: CONFERENCE The Role of Nutrition in Dementia Prevention and Management March 26 - 27, 2015

Postby circular » Sat May 28, 2016 3:10 pm

Surfrank57 wrote:I have seen women get very lean and still have belly fat because they did not have enough total muscle mass when they cut ... and the metabolism just slows down to a crawl. Frank

Thanks for your input Frank. I think your onto it with the muscle mass issue. I have mast cell activation syndrome which significantly impacts the energy I've had available for working out. Add to that sleep apnea which I've been trying hard to treat since July but no success yet, so I no longer recall what it is to wake up from 8 hours sleep feeling refreshed. I've been doing what I can for exercise for 10 years now, but it's no where near my past capacities and will never return to that.

I also have the connective tissue disorder Ehlers-Danlos hypermobile type. That's blessed me with double pars fractures and a 12mm slip at L5/S1, bilateral hip bursitis, bilateral knee bursitis, bilateral posterior tibial tendon dysfunction, unstable ankles limiting all but gentle standing exercises, a shoulder that subluxes constantly throughout the day and interferes with various upper body routines, radial tunnel syndrome in right forearm preventing exercise in pronation ... so I am unable to do the kind of weights/resistance work I used to without injuring myself more. While I look much fitter than many 53 year olds and no one would know looking at me that I'm dealing with all this, I don't look like I would if my hours of activity weren't so limited in nature. I exercise for the EDS, focusing on keeping my muscles as strong as possible without being in spasm and walking for aerobics. It just hasn't been enough to get as 'cut' as I used to be. My abs are in fairly good shape. I've had to keep them up to help protect the L5/S1 break.

Recently I went back on Ketotifen for the MCAS. I think it was helping me last year and I don't recall why I stopped it, but I started it up a couple weeks ago. Again I started feeling better and getting more out of my workouts and walks, but I worried it was the cause of the weight and went back off it. Couple days later and my energy is on the floor and allergic head feels like a bowling ball. So this morning I went back on it. You give me hope that the weight isn't the Ketotifen and maybe that will instead give me the stamina I need to get more out of my workouts within my limits.

(Age 54, post-meno BHRT of Biest, testosterone and progesterone, treating low pregnenolone with 10 and now more recently 20 mg/day. I'm not counting calories or macros at this time. Too much on my plate and don't know how I would break out the smoothie and soup servings. In the past, before keto but rather low carb, I was at 1300-1800 cal per day, usually about 1500. I have the sense that I'm getting more calories than I did with the higher fat keto diet. I'm also getting more activity but it seems only when I'm on Ketotifen; i.e. being keto hasn't addressed fatigue or brain fog.)
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.

J11
Contributor
Contributor

Postby J11 » Sat May 28, 2016 5:07 pm

Anyone notice the final speaker at the Metabolics conference held recently in Boston?

https://www.gtcbio.com/conferences/meta ... tabolomics

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Postby Julie G » Sat May 28, 2016 6:39 pm

Federoff? I'd loved to have heard that talk. I suspect his work will ultimately prove to be very helpful in terms of preventing AD. Understanding which biomarkers are skewed prior to getting the disease, gives us an opportunity to try to optimize them. I'd love a transcript or video link if anybody has a copy.

J11
Contributor
Contributor

Postby J11 » Sat May 28, 2016 7:00 pm

If only we had known ... before hand!
Everyone seemed to have had such a great time at the conference which this thread is dedicated to.

I suppose though, that at many of these conferences they are not releasing new findings, instead they are
reviewing their already published results.

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Postby Julie G » Sat May 28, 2016 8:10 pm

This looks like an expansion of his previous work, but to my knowledge this is not out yet.

J11
Contributor
Contributor

Postby J11 » Sat May 28, 2016 8:43 pm

Sorry just spilt my coffee!
Really?

Why weren't we told?

circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby circular » Sat May 28, 2016 8:50 pm

Hey, your coffee landed on my counter!

J11
Contributor
Contributor

Postby J11 » Sat May 28, 2016 8:53 pm

Get a helmet!

circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby circular » Sat May 28, 2016 9:37 pm

For my counter?

Return to “Prevention and Treatment”