CONFERENCE The Role of Nutrition in Dementia Prevention and Management March 26 - 27, 2015

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: CONFERENCE The Role of Nutrition in Dementia Prevention and Management March 26 - 27, 2015

Post by Julie G »

I thought so too, Richard. The study period was only 26 weeks; remarkably Impressive for that short period. It would be interesting to see a longer term follow-up. FWIW, I use 200mg of resveratrol too. It MAY have helped my oxLDL...

Nice paper, Aphorist. Here's another:
Sarcopenia: a neurogenic syndrome?
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jar/2013/791679/
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: CONFERENCE The Role of Nutrition in Dementia Prevention and Management March 26 - 27, 2015

Post by Tincup »

On resistive starch: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/won ... -calories/
"What we did is cook the rice as you normally do, but when the water is boiling, before adding the raw rice, we added coconut oil—about 3 percent of the weight of the rice you're going to cook," said Sudhair James, who presented his preliminary research at National Meeting & Exposition of the American Chemical Society (ACS) on Monday. "After it was ready, we let it cool in the refrigerator for about 12 hours. That's it
On ketosis - since I've been taking 1 g/day of niacin as Slo-Niacin brand, I tend to be much more ketotic in the morning. I've not tested blood repeatedly, but even with a fair carb load at dinner, I'll be at 1.7-2.0 mmol/L in the morning (12 hours later). Before, I might be at 0.5 mmol/L. I do follow Gundry's suggestion of taking the niacin with pycnogenol (60 mg), grape seed extract (100 mg) and fish oil (2g). These are to offset the niacin's potential to increase Lp-PLA2 (Lipoprotein-Associated Phospholipase A2). In fact I noticed the increase in morning ketones the first time I ever took the niacin.
Tincup
E3,E4
Teezer
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Sarcopenia

Post by Teezer »

Regarding the Sarcopenia article linked by Julie, above, I would agree that exercise is the single most important thing you can do to forestall the effects of aging, both physical and mental.

The section oddly titled "Use It Or Loss It" touches on the experiences of astronauts who lose muscle mass and strength rapidly in zero-gravity environments. This was recognized by NASA early-on in the space program, and they began serious studies on how to prevent it. One of those studies was a projection of the crew's physical health during a mission to Mars.

Typical Mars mission plans have round-trip flight times of 400 to 450 days, so 200 days is a likely estimate for the first leg of the trip. Initial calculations indicated that inactive astronauts would arrive on Mars in such a weakened state as to be unable to stand up, and the Martian gravity is only 38% of Earth's gravity.

So NASA began a research program on the most effective way to exercise in zero gravity. They found that typical resistance training concentrated on the "lifting" phase of an exercise -- the part where the muscle is in contraction. The "lowering" phase is seen as unimportant -- you release the weight as you return to the starting position and then tense up for the next repetition.

This turns out to be backwards. Your muscles are designed by evolution to smoothly contract to do work, and they perform that function well. But to release resistance gradually, they have to alternately contract-release-contract-release in micro bursts of energy that create small tears in the muscle fibers.

For example, if you do a pull-up from a fully extended hanging position, do the contraction phase in 2 seconds, and then do the release back to the starting position in 6 seconds. Every resistance exercise can be done this way, making the release movement three times longer than than the contraction movement.

I started "going to the gym" three days a week when I was 35, and I was in (I thought) really good shape at 40. I maintained this condition into my late 50's by doing a typical variety of gym activities for about an hour per session. I found the NASA information in 2003, and began to tailor my workout around "negative resistance" exercises. My typical workout is now down to 30 minutes and, at age 73, I'm stronger than I was at 60.

Re-reading this, it sounds like an infomercial. :lol: It's my actual experience, though -- you don't have to fade into sarcopenia as you age, and you don't have to spend the whole day at the gym to maintain your strength.

You do have to DO IT, however... 8-)
It's weird how I'm constantly surprised by the passage of time when it's literally the most predictable thing in the universe. -- xkcd
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

Teezer... Your post is perfect timing for me! At fifty this year, racquetball and power walking are just not enough any more. I've been mulling this all over and I really like the negative contraction interaction... Ha say that three times fast!
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

I appreciate it, too, because "muscle mass" is on my to-do list and I don't really know how to go about it exactly. I know how to maintain, I think, but increase mass... Thanks for the lesson.
pgf54
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pgf54 »

Teezer exercise is anathema to me, can i just buy a heavier mouse?
I do follow Gundry's suggestion of taking the niacin with pycnogenol (60 mg), grape seed extract (100 mg) and fish oil (2g).
George has the 1gm niacin shown any detrimental effects on your Lfts ? and also i read slow release Niacin is worse for liver problems ? whats your opinion on this? I am commencing an increasing dose Niacin to raise Hdl and got a bit confused with which was the one that caused issues, slow release or timed release, so i thought initially i would stick with the old straight format, until i got my head around the other two..........
Don't wait for your ship to come in, row out to meet it.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

pgf54 wrote: George has the 1gm niacin shown any detrimental effects on your Lfts ? and also i read slow release Niacin is worse for liver problems ? whats your opinion on this? I am commencing an increasing dose Niacin to raise Hdl and got a bit confused with which was the one that caused issues, slow release or timed release, so i thought initially i would stick with the old straight format, until i got my head around the other two..........
I don't have liver test results yet. I pulled a set of tests yesterday and had Gundry's draw on Tuesday. The Slo-Niacin brand is one Gundry recommends, however my understanding he is fine with the straight format, too. I don't think he recommends either the "no flush" or the prescription niacin that is combined with an antihistamine. His quote from a FB post, "Oh nonsense! I was the discusser of this study at the American Heart Association. The bad effects of Niacin appeared when it was combined with an antihistamine that had been shelved because of severe side effects. Duh, I wonder what happened when they reintroduced it in combo form? Also, I reported at the American Heart Association that if you use niacin that it must have grape seed extract and pycnogenol to prevent the increase in blood vessel stickiness that niacin causes and that I discovered. Finally, these studies do not address that niacin is the only method of lowering Lp(a), the most sign infant cause of heart disease of any risk factor measured. Those of you with Lp(a), swallow your niacin!"

The ketone response I've seen is indicative of some kind of a liver response. I've honestly not spent a lot of time looking into liver function issues. I'm more concerned with the Lp-PLA2 response that Gundry reported. Mine is already elevated. The Lp-PLA2 was in my test panel yesterday.

My experience with the Slo-niacin is that it gives a significant flush. The flush response seems to lessen over time. The first time was very strong. I understand the flush is a histamine response.

I have a phone appointment with Gundry in July and this will be a topic of discussion.
Tincup
E3,E4
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

CONFERENCE The Role of Nutrition in Dementia Prevention and Management March ...

Post by Ski »

Reason for not using Extended release is because you don't want to expose the Liver to a constant release of Niacin. This causes more liver issues. That's really why I went with the immediate release. Dump and clear :-) Slo-niacin is not extended release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

A little earlier in this thread we were talking about "mild ketosis". For people who are playing with the idea here's a fairly recent post with links to studies, etc. from Mark Sisson. That name may flip some switches for some people, and I have certainly been free with my criticism of authors who "dumb down" material for a broad audience, but I don't know... to be honest, I tend to trust this guy. He's up-front about what he has for sale, he doesn't mind admitting when he is convinced to change his mind, and oh yeah, he has actually, marginally, addressed the apoe4 lipids issue, with reference to the author of Wheat Belly (another hot button topic, but better than nothing.) In the past, he has probably contributed to a lot of people like us discounting problems with LDL when they shouldn't have. I admire him for being willing to step away from that position, though I wish he would recognize the magnitude of the problem. Still, it's a popular web site. I maybe shouldn't expect too much. Also, he's a smart jock and trainer, NOT a doctor. If that matters to you. I have heard so much stupid stuff from such a wide range of people that I don't know whether it does anymore to me. A guy who has spent his entire life as an athlete and coach who also has very good brains and judgment? I might listen to him even if he does sell supplements.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-const ... z3VdJOUjdi

What I really like Sisson for is his fitness advice. I have been a flip-flop undertrainer/overtrainer most of my life, alternately doing not-enough and then going overboard and getting injuries, sleep upsets, elevated heartrate, etc. Once I started following his program, I really settled down and it worked out for me in a good way. (Getting older and just calming down a little bit may have helped, too.) I like his take on "play" -- for me it translates into a combination of walking and dance, plus trips to the gym and short bouts of weight work. I'm not one of those all or nothing people any more. Listening to him helped.

This may be a ways away from the Conference topic, but it's in reference to the strategy/therapeutic target set forward by Dr. Cunnane as well as the issue of muscle mass, which we were discussing in terms of sarcopenia, also part of this thread. I may take one last look at my notes and see if I have anything else of value to post. I missed a lot of Saturday morning, partly because I was late (work problem) and partly because my dad is in late stage Alzheimer's and I just decided not to put myself through the one from the dietitians who care for people in institutions. Too rough.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Teezer, GREAT info. I think you are absolutely correct. As we age, we need to focus on resistance training in a smarter, more effective way- especially if we are in a catabolic state due to LC, protein restriction, CR, etc. So many of our prevention strategies have the ability to become harmful taken to the extreme. Having the energy and muscles to exercise, socialize, and follow our passions MUST be paramount. You look amazing, Teezer- at least a decade or more younger than your biological age. You can be my personal trainer anytime ;)

George, fascinating to hear that niacin helps promote ketosis. That's new to me. Did either you or Ski catch that Dr. Dayspring was OPPOSED to niacin for our group? Does anyone understand his reasoning why? I haven't taken the time to look into any of this; other than note the discrepancy between his advice and Gundry's.

Martha, nice write-up on ketosis. I greatly appreciated hearing Dr. Cunnane suggest that such a small degree can still be helpful. Some, with greater cerebral hypometabolic issues (like me) may need more; but I totally agree with many of Sisson's ideas. I can't stress enough the importance of employing CR, fasting, and exercise to create ketone bodies rather than simply relying on added dietary fat. Keeping our CAD/CVD risk low is every bit as important as "feeding our brains."