CONFERENCE The Role of Nutrition in Dementia Prevention and Management March 26 - 27, 2015

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

CONFERENCE The Role of Nutrition in Dementia Prevention and Management March 26 - 27, 2015

Post by Stavia »

http://www.nyas.org/Events/Detail.aspx? ... 08575604b7

New York Academy of Science.

I'd kill to be there. Its EVERYONE in the field - the FINGER people, Isaacson, the mitochondria people, the vitamin people, the glucose people - everyone.
I'm three long airplane rides away. Its impossible to get there. Cries.
Can anyone go?
Or has anyone access to Max Ludgrove who is speaking as well and get him to record the whole thing for us or ask for summaries or lecture notes??
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: CONFERENCE The Role of Nutrition in Dementia Prevention and Management March 26 - 27, 2015

Post by Julie G »

Looks amazing. I may be able to swing it. Anybody else?
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Re: CONFERENCE The Role of Nutrition in Dementia Prevention and Management March 26 - 27, 2015

Post by marthaNH »

I have the days free. And I'm local. I might have to not spend the money, though. I was just reading the abstracts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Abstracts are great, but being there with me...is priceless :D Seriously, I'll go if you'll join me. I'm looking for a playmate.
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

Julie, this is something I would REALLY like to do. Let me look at the money. I'll decide fast. You have people to stay with in town or are ok with a hotel?
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

Shit. Let's do it.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I feel the same; signing up now. We will be eyes and ears for the whole group. I hope more will join us.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

What an amazing conference; spending two days with the top AD experts from around the world who live and breathe the stuff we hash out every day. What a privilege.

I had more than a few interesting conversations, but two experiences stood out to me. The first; right after he finished presenting a fascinating lecture on cerebral glucose hypometabolism particularly in E4 carriers, I got to have lunch seated right next to Dr. Stephan Cunnane- who watched me drizzle a few TBS of my high polyphenol EVOO on my greens with fascination. Needless to say; he "got" it. The second; Dr. Richard Isaacson, very graciously mentioned our group during his talk. He admitted to lurking :D

I was planning on sharing my full set of notes, but that feels like a daunting task. Instead, I will ask anyone who is interested to look at the agenda and abstracts from the meeting and let me know WHERE your particular interests lie. I'll do my best to answer your questions. I know Martha will do the same. http://www.nyas.org/Events/Detail.aspx? ... 08575604b7

Near the end of the conference, all of the speakers reconvened to comprise a panel so that they (and the crowd) could hack 3 case studies studies presented by Dr. Isaacson. All 3 of the case studies were folks at high risk of AD.

Guess where they very quickly got tripped up? All 3 of the case studies were E4 carriers who could very likely benefit from ketosis, but they already had high lipids. Surprise, surprise- NOT :roll: The panel was stymied. MCT, yes or no? Statins, yes or no? If yes, lipophilic or non-lilopllic? Zetia, yes or no? Proof (as if we needed it) that there are no easy answers for our population. We are literally leading the way here. FWIW, I plan to write to Dr. Isaacson to share our equally stuck overview on this and link him to Dr. Dayspring's input.

It was very inspiring to me to spend time with smart people, from all different backgrounds/countries, working on a nutritional regimen to prevent Alzheimer's. I relished the opportunity to pick their brains and share our collective experiences. W.O.W.

What a pleasure to get to know Martha. She is a Holly Hunter look (and sound) alike. I'm including a pic below. In cropping, I tried to include a little of the NYC cityscape. Our meeting was in Seven World Trade Center on the 40th floor- a breathtaking view. One whole wall of our meeting and break space. was floor to ceiling windows. What a stunning backdrop. As if that wasn't enough, my hotel room had a perfect view of the Statue of Liberty. Just being in 9/11 territory, was an emotional experience, but seeing Lady Liberty proudly holding her torch somehow put a lump in my throat. I ❤️NYC- the people, their resilience.
image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LillyBritches »

Very cool. Wish I could have been there...will write later requesting notes.
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Looks like it was a great conference on many levels!

I'd be interested in your top 5 takeaways from the microbiome and the mind talk. No abstract on the site, but a topic I'm always interested in.